Swearing. Why?

(295 Posts)
dummad Tue 23-Apr-13 13:21:27

I'n not averse to the odd 'FFS' or whatever, but it seems to me that the use of the C word is now commonplace on every thread nowadays. And i don't like it one bit.

It never used to be like this. Why the cultural shift? I never hear it spoken out loud so why is it suddenly ok to plaster it all over MN?

Is it suddenly 'en vogue' to sound like a drunken navvy? Words like cunt, snatch, twat etc are just vile. Can't we reign it in a bit?

Whoops. Xposted!

LittleMissBunnyoni Tue 23-Apr-13 13:47:54

If you find it offensive then there are other sites that might be more suitable?

I like it because I can swear if I want too, and I don't take offense at swearing!

It's not breaking any rules so you can't stop people doing it.

PickledInAPearTree Tue 23-Apr-13 13:48:05

How on earth can you compare racism with you not liking swearing?

That's way more offensive than a few cunts littered around.

I have a mouth like a sailor in real life.

I actually rein in my swearing on here [oops]

BumpingFuglies Tue 23-Apr-13 13:48:47

Zombie you are an absolute cunt. thanks

Cunt isn't named after the vajayjay. Cunt happened first then became known as a name for it.

i think

I quite like saying dickhead when angry. Its enjoyable to say in a argument

FuckOffMrBloom Tue 23-Apr-13 13:49:28

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

On the whole and ignoring the hairy handed we are adults, posting on a forum for grown ups and can use whatever words we deem fit, whether you like it or not.

Do you stop people in the street and tell them to stop using words you find 'offensive'?

IamtheZombie Tue 23-Apr-13 13:49:59

Zombie is feeling the love. Thanks Freddie and YoniMatopoeia. wink

ItsYonliMe Tue 23-Apr-13 13:50:21

I completely agree with you too Dummad and sometimes think I've landed on a teenage website where the kids are getting a cheap thrill by using sweary words. It's all very juvenile.

IamtheZombie Tue 23-Apr-13 13:50:43

And Bumping.

the why the actual fuck do you keep posting and reading here?

If it bothers you so much? why are you deliberately choosing to offend yourself/

I also have a mouth like a sailor in RL.

I do use the cunt word on a regular basis.

Is that ok OP?

MooncupGoddess Tue 23-Apr-13 13:55:48

SP - cunt as an insult does derive from the female genitalia. It has the Anglo-Saxon same root as queen, I believe (can't google as at work).

Thanks Freddie for modelling correct 'rein' usage. I feel better now.

miemohrs Tue 23-Apr-13 14:03:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

miemohrs Tue 23-Apr-13 14:07:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

There are quite a few people on here who have met me in RL and they will tell you, yes I do actually swear a-fucking-lot.

I'm not going to change either.

smile

Sorry lark.

Tee2072 Tue 23-Apr-13 14:12:46

I absolutely fucking swear in real life. All the fucking time. Even say cunt and dick and shit and twat.

They are words. Get over it. Get a grip. Or get gone.

cluelesschloe Tue 23-Apr-13 14:15:08

OP - don't disrespect MNHQ.
Their site, their rules innit.
You don't like it? >>>>>>>>>>>
(no swear words were hurt in this post)

chocoluvva Tue 23-Apr-13 14:15:19

Another who agrees with BigBoobiedBertha here.

AmberLeaf Tue 23-Apr-13 14:17:17

It doesn't bother me.

I think you have to take it in context too.

Depending on the situation, yes I do swear in RL, I wouldn't swear while speaking to my childs teacher for example as it would be inappropriate to be so informal. But in relaxed company and in the right context, yes I would and I do...often.

dyslexicdespot Tue 23-Apr-13 14:17:56

You are of course allowed to be offended by the same words a black person is offended by. What a ridiculous comment OP!

AmberLeaf Tue 23-Apr-13 14:18:54

My favourite swear word is Cunt actually.

It means so many different things and is so wonderfully expressive.

I don't sound like a navvy though.

FoundAChopinLizt Tue 23-Apr-13 14:19:14

Op

I find the generalisation that navvies swear quite offensive. They were the heroes of many transformative civil engineering projects still in existence today. They died in their hundreds, poorly paid in terrible working conditions.

Now troopers and fish wives on the other hand...

kneedeepindaisies Tue 23-Apr-13 14:20:49

I don't like violent films so I don't watch them.

If you don't like swearing, don't come on Mumsnet.

Just out if interest, what does one have to do to be called an atrocious cunt? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now