Boots shite

(47 Posts)
TheConstantLurker Sun 21-Apr-13 22:13:12

can we not have a thread which just a huge advert or Boots please.
First I got a survey about Boots- would you go to Boots to get advice? No, not really.
Next thing there are lots of little ads for the new "Boots Feel Good Forum" <<barf>>
now we have a sticky for it and really it's a massive advert for Boots with some adverts for sun products thrown in.
I realise MN will be being paid for this and it's a way of earning but it's very annoying to have it dressed up as a thread and all feel good and helpful (not)

Nehru Wed 22-May-13 18:41:29

i agree with justine

I LOVE THE FEEL GOOD FORUM

* coughs *

TheConstantLurker Wed 22-May-13 18:40:17

Buy this and we make money=advertising
Come and have a lovely girly chat about make up tips as featured recently on the Boots shite Feel Good Forum=the epitome of irritating shite masquerading as Mumsnet helpfulness.

P.S. Thanks for entering me for the free book to review after the date had expired. One is on it's way to me. Yippee.

MardyBra Tue 30-Apr-13 22:47:35

Fuck me. It's bloody Specsavers now.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 29-Apr-13 21:17:39

I'd like boots slightly more if all their own brand products had BUAV approval, like superdrug do. I luffs superdrug.

Boots treat their staff like shite.

Osmiornica Fri 26-Apr-13 08:15:59

I thought Mumsnet had been bought out by boots. It certainly makes it look like a boots website now not just mumsnet. It's awful.

SoupDragon Mon 22-Apr-13 19:23:36

Those big side ads have disappeared on my Macbook now.

Jins Mon 22-Apr-13 18:51:34

Also - and this is realy important to me - I only ventured onto my pc to hide the Boots radio topic. I can't see it on the list

How do I hide the Boots topic please?

Jins Mon 22-Apr-13 18:43:34

I've just ventured onto my pc and it's awful.

Sorry MN but I'm really uncomfortable about a link with Boots as it is and this is too much for me. I'll have to stick to the app or find somewhere else to hang out sad

KansasCityOctopus Mon 22-Apr-13 17:30:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KansasCityOctopus Mon 22-Apr-13 17:27:36

KansasCityOctopus Mon 22-Apr-13 17:24:51

Maybe you should just put it on baby sleeping bags, it wouldn't upset many people there wink

(I would have suggested Local Dummy but that section seems surprisingly popular)

Thank you! flowers

MardyBra Mon 22-Apr-13 14:35:23

That's better. Thanks Helen.
I don't use the talk homepage much. But Active Convos and Threads I'm On are a different matter.

CrowsLanding Mon 22-Apr-13 14:34:37

Much better MNHQ thanks

Anja1Cam Mon 22-Apr-13 14:33:56

Re: Adblock, I had the blue background (back to white this minute) but no ads, presumably Adblock did it for me? I never explicitly hid them this time but I think I may have done a lot of hiding (thereby 'training' adblock) the very first time the side ads appeared for a different campaign.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 22-Apr-13 14:33:15

PlentyOfPubeGardens

Has it gone? The blue background's disappeared. Tentative smile

We've moved the page takeover to the Talk Home page now.

Has it gone? The blue background's disappeared. Tentative smile

Queen, I had to right click on it and then choose 'Block with Adblock'

AnneEyhtMeyer Mon 22-Apr-13 14:20:57

Every side ad I've clicked on has been accidental, and I immediately shut the ad down when it opens. Is this still counted as a "success"?

How are the side ads getting through my Adblock anyway? confused

'page takeover' sounds about right - it feels like MN has been taken over by Boots.

Maybe advertisers do like them and see them as effective (Though I wonder how effective they are if you discount accidental clicks) but I wonder if they've misjudged their market here - MNers on the whole like things to look uncluttered and unfussy. You can see this from the reaction to threads asking for features such as embedding quotes and sparkly tickers, and it says something that we can only embed images on a couple of topics - people haven't been historically keen on that feature either because it would make MN look 'cluttered'.

FWIW, I've managed to block the side ads now. I'm left with a ghastly turquoisy-blue background which clashes horribly with all the other non-turquoisy shades of blue used on the site.

Jins Mon 22-Apr-13 14:13:10

It's a long story involving them buying out the small local pharmacies where you could buy generic drugs for pence and replacing them with mini boots which sell feck all apart from slim fast and makeup and their own version of drugs for about 3p less than the named brand. Drives me nuts. The brands have had to pay all the development costs then as soon as exclusivity ends along comes Boots and thinks they do us a favour for charging £10.49 instead of 10.99 for fluconazole or something.

I'm on my phone so can't find it but I posted examples of this a few weeks back. I used to be able to buy antihistamines for 99p from the lovely old pharmacy. Now it's nearly £3 for boots or £3.29 for the proper brand.

Superdrug don't do it. Why should bloody thieving, patronising, boots?

And relax. I get a bit worked over this issue blush

HazeltheMcWitch Mon 22-Apr-13 14:04:27

Jins - why does Boots make you so ragey?

MardyBra Mon 22-Apr-13 13:21:13

Please tell Boots that I clicked on the ad by mistake, because it's so fucking intrusive large. I don't want them to think I'm interested or anything.

I do understand the need for adverts, but this "down the sides" business isn't working for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now