Mumsnet local sites - have you checked out yours yet? What do you think?

(176 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 19-Apr-13 11:07:08

Hi all,
It's been a wee while since we our launched our new, improved Mumsnet local sites. Some of you will have already found yours and are hopefully finding it useful, others have yet have that particular pleasure - if so please do have a butchers now.

Aside from listings, local Talk and information there many Local Ambassadors organising regular group meet-ups, so do have a look to see if there's an active group Meet-up near you and join up to get news of the latest get togethers.

Most of all we'd like to know what you think of it so far. Nb it's still a work in progress <isn't everything?> so do bear that in mind and let us know what you like and what you like less smile - I am sure there are some things we have overlooked/could improve and we'd love to hear from you.

Best,
Justine

Tee2072 Mon 22-Apr-13 11:01:55

Glad to see so many people are having a look!

Don't forget our Twitter Chat tomorrow, 8-9 #MNLocal. You can 'meet' your LE and also some local businesses!

::shameless advert alert::

grin

afussyphase Mon 22-Apr-13 13:29:48

Thanks, EmmaMumsnet - I've just re-checked Islington and there is more now. Having the 'active' tag on the meet-ups helps, so we don't have to click all of the inactive ones.
Things I'd love to see:
--more of what you're already doing so we can see where the content is with minimal click-throughs. Thank you!
--discussion of people's first-hand experiences of the local schools (hopefully an antidote to the gossip-without-basis that can go around).
Discounted entry to local things would be amazing, especially expensive ones like the Zoo I realise I may be dreaming here.
--Listings of family-friendly places like pubs/cafes, cafes with play spaces/crayons etc
--active childcare boards, and (again with the dreaming?) people posting their rates! Saves so much time, really.
Thanks again smile

afussyphase Mon 22-Apr-13 13:30:07

I didn't mean to do the cross-out; forgot it would do that! sorry.

BooMum123 Mon 22-Apr-13 13:45:10

Hello again - exexpat just wanted to say what a good idea I thought it was to use the Local site as a host site for groups. Reckon that there's loads of potential - whether for book/wine clubs, finding others who want to get back into exercise (y'know, maybe), who else is hacked off about a local issue and wants to do something about it... We're plugging away at getting the listings sorted, but chat's allll ready to go for whatever you want it for.

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 22-Apr-13 14:53:20

Portofino

We need our Brussels site back. I had been busy populating with info. It hadn't really taken off, but we have a very active FB group - 50 odd members. So I had hopes...

We haven't ruled it out, we just need to iron out the kinks in UK local first but we'd very much like to get some overseas sites going again. It was just a bit of a logistical nightmare trying to do it all at once. smile

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 22-Apr-13 14:54:04

ChocsAwayInMyGob

There is no local editor in my area. I would like to be one. I have emailed twice but had no reply. How do I do this MNHQ?

I've emailed you Chocs. We'd love to have you on board.

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 22-Apr-13 15:01:47

afussyphase

Thanks, EmmaMumsnet - I've just re-checked Islington and there is more now. Having the 'active' tag on the meet-ups helps, so we don't have to click all of the inactive ones.
Things I'd love to see:
--more of what you're already doing so we can see where the content is with minimal click-throughs. Thank you!
--discussion of people's first-hand experiences of the local schools (hopefully an antidote to the gossip-without-basis that can go around).
Discounted entry to local things would be amazing, especially expensive ones like the Zoo I realise I may be dreaming here.
--Listings of family-friendly places like pubs/cafes, cafes with play spaces/crayons etc
--active childcare boards, and (again with the dreaming?) people posting their rates! Saves so much time, really.
Thanks again smile

Thanks Fussy, anyone can put a listing or review on the Mumsnet Local sites so we're hoping Mumsnetters will want to share this kind of info with each other. Anyone can post a review underneath a school listing, and there are often discussions about schools on the local talk boards about specific queries.

Good idea about rates on Childcare listings. We can encourage people to do that on the Add a Listing form.
Thanks for all the feedback brew

Portofino Mon 22-Apr-13 15:16:14

Thanks Emma.

VikingLady Mon 22-Apr-13 15:55:12

Darlington seems to have disappeared!

ChocsAwayInMyGob Mon 22-Apr-13 15:58:35

Thanks Emma!

MmeLindor Mon 22-Apr-13 16:08:58

afussy
Did you see the OFFERS tab? Part of the LEs job is persuading companies to put an offer on there.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 22-Apr-13 21:55:53

On both times it just crashed. Thanks for saying which section I should have put it on but if I couldn't suss it then I feel others will be struggling too. It's just not intuitive.

On both occasions its just crashed repeatedly.

MmeLindor Tue 23-Apr-13 15:51:08

Jilted
I know it seems like a lot of sections at the moment, but once the listings are busier, having them sorted will make finding what you want a whole lot easier.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Apr-13 19:10:13

Ah but they are unlikely to get busier if regular posters can't post grin

cestlesautres Tue 23-Apr-13 20:34:33

Justine, I'd like to suggest that you do a full survey of MNers about use of Mumsnet Local and the site in general.

People would give much more considered responses in a proper survey, and would be able to speak frankly if their views were not on a public thread. It would mean that people with less dominant views could say what they think without being shouted down. You are getting a skewed picture atm.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Apr-13 20:47:24

Justine just seen your comments on the Islibgton site and thought I'd have a look at the primary schools in my area, Cheshire. Can you tell me what order they are in please? They don't seem to be alphabetical or by town.

MmeLindor Wed 24-Apr-13 20:05:28

Bumping this to see if anyone wants to talk to me in Fife

or in Dundee

And to show you all the great page with recommendations for child friendly cafes in your area - it is linked on the home page but the url is currently not working, so here is the right link

Local Cafes

WaterlilyTH Sat 27-Apr-13 21:20:46

Hello,

I'm a Local Editor of Tower Hamlets, London. I just wanted to say if you live in this or neighbouring Boroughs

- come and join our local site:local.mumsnet.com/tower-hamlets

- like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MNTowerHamlets?ref=hl

- follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/search?q=mumsnet%20tower%20hamlets&src=typd

We would love to have an active Talk Board where you share your ideas, experience and support each other virtually. We are always happy to 'see' you there!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 28-Apr-13 14:30:27

If I had have managed to put the pamper evening on, where would it have shown up when people searched?

Also, under the Cheshire What's on section you've got people adding lists for a whole year again, so the first few listings are always the same and a couple are duplicated. Really thought this would have been sorted before the relaunch......

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 30-Apr-13 09:52:06

VikingLady

Darlington seems to have disappeared!

Hi Viking,
Darlington isn't a site in its own right, it falls in the Durham site.

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 30-Apr-13 10:08:58

JiltedJohnsJulie

If I had have managed to put the pamper evening on, where would it have shown up when people searched?

Also, under the Cheshire What's on section you've got people adding lists for a whole year again, so the first few listings are always the same and a couple are duplicated. Really thought this would have been sorted before the relaunch......

Hi Jilted,
I've just gone in and tidied up Cheshire What's On for now, but when there's a Local Editor for Cheshire, they'll be able to move listings from What's On into more appropriate categories, so the What's On shouldn't get clogged with permanent listings.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 30-Apr-13 10:16:21

Thanks very much for that Emna. Did you see my post about the schools section too? smile

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 30-Apr-13 10:22:33

JiltedJohnsJulie

Justine just seen your comments on the Islibgton site and thought I'd have a look at the primary schools in my area, Cheshire. Can you tell me what order they are in please? They don't seem to be alphabetical or by town.

Soon, you'll be able to search alphabetically, or nearest to you or in a number of other ways. Unfortunately, the filters aren't there yet. The easiest thing to do at the moment is to click on 'See All On Map' if you're browsing for schools near you. Or you can type a school's name into the search box if you are looking up a specific school. There aren't many reviews on our school listings yet but once mumsnetters start to add those, it should be a useful resource for parents.

Tee2072 Tue 30-Apr-13 10:30:09

Hey! Look! It's Tuesday again...Twitter chat tonight 8-9, #MNLocal. grin

cestlesautres Not really sure what you mean but I am sure if people have things they don't want to say here, they are more than welcome to email Local and/or Contact Us to have their say.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 30-Apr-13 13:48:57

Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now