Mumsnet local sites - have you checked out yours yet? What do you think?

(176 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 19-Apr-13 11:07:08

Hi all,
It's been a wee while since we our launched our new, improved Mumsnet local sites. Some of you will have already found yours and are hopefully finding it useful, others have yet have that particular pleasure - if so please do have a butchers now.

Aside from listings, local Talk and information there many Local Ambassadors organising regular group meet-ups, so do have a look to see if there's an active group Meet-up near you and join up to get news of the latest get togethers.

Most of all we'd like to know what you think of it so far. Nb it's still a work in progress <isn't everything?> so do bear that in mind and let us know what you like and what you like less smile - I am sure there are some things we have overlooked/could improve and we'd love to hear from you.

Best,
Justine

MmeLindor Fri 19-Apr-13 19:58:13

Nan
do keep trying - it will get better once people start using it.

And if you are on FB or Twitter, look for your local site there - you can find them by searching for mumsnet and the local site name. I post links to interesting threads there.

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 19-Apr-13 20:41:51

GiraffeAHolic

I'm using the Android app on a Samsung Galaxy S2

Thanks Giraffe, I've passed that onto Tech

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 19-Apr-13 20:52:05

NanBullen

I've posted a few times on local and met up with other mums once but it doesn't seem very organised. I think because it's new there's no existing meetups group to join.

actually i've just looked at netmums and joined my local group there because there are meetups every week,they are all organised, i can just turn up.

on the local board on mumsnet I post and then maybe don't get a reply for a couple of weeks if at all.

I am trying!

We've got lots of groups or people wanting to start groups listed here:
www.mumsnet.com/things-to-do/local-meet-ups

If there isn't one near you, you could always start one yourself smile. Now that the groups have meet-up pages where everyone gets notified of updates, it's easier to arrange regular meets.

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 19-Apr-13 20:52:51

Some lovely ideas here, keep them coming, we've got the notepad out.

BrittaPie Fri 19-Apr-13 21:05:10

I think we are starting to see an increase in users, but the best way to get more users is to have an active site, and the best way to have an active site is...to have more users grin

Anyhow, Preston is:

Mumsnet Preston
Mumsnet Preston Facebook Page
Mumsnet Preston Twitter - @MumsnetPreston

And Lancashire is:
Mumsnet Lancashire
Mumsnet Lancashire Facebook Page
Mumsnet Lancashire Twitter - @MNLancashire

So, if you have children and live anywhere near Preston or Lancashire, come and join in grin

AngloSvensk Fri 19-Apr-13 21:19:07

I forgot to link my local page!

Mumsnet North and South Tyneside
Mumsnet North and South Tyneside on FB
Mumsnet North and South Tyneside on Twitter

Also, Sunderland coming soon. Watch this space. smile

Tee2072 Fri 19-Apr-13 21:28:23

Well, if everyone is doing it...

Mumsnet Belfast

Belfast Facebook

@MumsnetBelfast

Tee2072 Fri 19-Apr-13 21:29:11

Oops, hit post to soon.

I also wanted to mention that we do a chat on Twitter every Tuesday night from 8 - 9 #MNLocal is the tag. Chat with other MNetters and we're starting to get some local businesses as well!

AwkwardAnnie Fri 19-Apr-13 21:53:29

Is there any way to highlight errors on the pages? There are some glaring errors on our local page, the town I live is spelt wrong and quite a few towns local to me are too in a lot of listings. I've just realised DD's school is on but the information is a few years out of date.

I'm confused too, on the education pages under schools it says there's 7, but it looks like there's all the schools in the area listed.

My local page is quiet but I can see new things are being added, I keep adding things myself too when I remember.

K8Middleton Fri 19-Apr-13 22:01:12

I should also mention I've had a couple of things deleted that would have been allowed in the old days. It does make me think what's the point bothering if someone's going to zap it?

MmeLindor Fri 19-Apr-13 22:03:30

K8
We only delete if the listing is not in accordance with the MN 'rules' for the Local boards, so you must be doing something wrong. You should perhaps take this up with the LE though, since you have her email address. Or contact her via FB, if you are on FB.

SacreBlue Fri 19-Apr-13 22:04:24

#pinkyswear to update more attractions etc when I get a chance grin will mention you to Emma next time I see her & hopefully get some more likes, can only manage 3 myself wink

*note to self - work out how to use the twitter account I set up last year in vain attempt to stop anyone taking my name for their account

MmeLindor Fri 19-Apr-13 22:05:41

Annie
I'd contact MNHQ with that one - presumably there is not yet a LE for that area so it hasn't been picked up on.

MmeLindor Fri 19-Apr-13 22:06:23

Sacrebleu
Join in our Twitter chat, and we will teach you. It is ever so easy once you get used to it.

mummymccar Fri 19-Apr-13 22:09:57

For some reason there doesn't seem to be an option to start a new topic on the talk message boards for Southampton. Managed to do it once but can't for the life of me figure out how I did it!

K8Middleton Fri 19-Apr-13 22:10:24

One of them was pushing my luck (but would totally have been allowed pre switch over) but the other one was fine. It just seemed a bit heavy handed.

I posted a talk thread to give some useful local information of the kind that would go on the Nethuns noticeboard (ie short-term but interesting) and it got zapped. I could have added it as a listing but it wasn't quite right for a local listing because it was just a temporary thing.

I thought I was being helpful posting about local events and news confused

K8Middleton Fri 19-Apr-13 22:11:58

And my reviews disappeared too. Most odd.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Fri 19-Apr-13 22:15:55

I reported a lot on my board that should have been removed before I took over but wasn't; things like adverts. I think the old local boards didn't have people reporting adverts/things that shouldn't have been there, so things were left. The new boards have LE's who keep an eye on things so there's less chance of adverts. You may see it as being heavy handed, maybe it is just removing things that shouldn't have been there in the first place. We're not Nethuns, they have different talk guidelines to Mumsnet. I'm just guessing, maybe you should contact MNHQ and ask them to pass your comments on to the LE? I'm sure they can explain why your thread/s were removed.

MmeLindor Fri 19-Apr-13 22:17:30

Mummy
You have to go into Discussions to start a new thread. I know it is odd, I have been flummoxed by that.

K8
I really think you should have a word with the LE and have her explain exactly what is allowed under the new guidelines and what is not.

What used to be allowed is totally irrelevant though - I am guessing that a lot of stuff got left on the local sites before cause they didn't get used. Now that we have LEs checking the sites, the spam stuff gets zapped quicker.

And we do have the opportunity for anyone to add a free listing. The talk boards are for talk, not for advertising.

To be clear. Anyone can add a listing, whether it is a permanent or a 'whats on' listing.

If you are offering a discount, then it should go in the Offers section (which has a small charge).

MmeLindor Fri 19-Apr-13 22:19:27

XP with LadyMary

smile

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Fri 19-Apr-13 22:20:21

wine? smile

MmeLindor Fri 19-Apr-13 22:21:10

I think we need a [choc] emoticon.

Am drinking brew tonight

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Fri 19-Apr-13 22:23:38

Or a [cake] emoticon. sad

lubeybooby Fri 19-Apr-13 22:34:49

Any Leicestershire/Warwickshire mums... we have a coffee meet on the 23rd in Hinckley if anyone else fancies it (a few names are down so far) find us here

K8Middleton Fri 19-Apr-13 23:49:52

I think I'm clear on the rules unless they have changed dramatically recently? I skimmed every blue link i got sent and don't remember anything new? I've been around a few years and had a fairly long running thread in Site Stuff about the spam on the local boards - I think I was the only one reporting for a long time so I was extra careful because it's not really on to moan about something and then do it yourself. Besides which I have no commercial interests to promote.

I know this is not Nethuns they're local boards have a huge head start on local as mentioned by others, I merely mentioned it to illustrate a point. There is some stuff that's really handy to know like the local baby clinic being closed for half term or registration for the local charity sale is open to new sellers or the local popular playgroup has space again or that the local cafe is doing free cake with a coffee between 9-11am on week days... things that aren't suitable for a listing but are interesting and relevant and would be the sort of thing you'd pop on your local community notice board or mention to a friend.

We were asked for feedback so that's mine. I think I've been fair in acknowledging the good points and the hard work the local ed has put in and areas for improvement based on my use of MN local pre and post change and other parenting sites. And general customer care (ie replying to emails - not that I wish to bang on I know that the ed is new and rushed off her feet and I absolutely understand that).

Just out of interest are the ed roles still voluntary like the tsarinas were or did MNHQ beef them up and franchise them in the end? I ask because I am much more tolerate towards unpaid volunteers wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now