Vipers' nest? Come counter our hissy rep with your stories of Mumsnet Niceness

(486 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 12-Apr-13 10:42:32

Hello.

Well, it's been bit of a week, hasn't it? <understatement>

And we don't know about you but we think it's time folks outside MN knew a bit more about the lovely side of Mumsnet. All this stuff about harridans and vipers' nests kinda feels a bit lopsided to us - and is certainly making us pull on our Uggs wink and want to redress the balance a bit.

We're really chuffed to see such kind words about MN on Talk at the moment and also to see blogs like MmeLindor's that focus so beautifully on the "other side" of Mumsnet.

But we also want to publish, for all the world and the odd tabloid journo to see, a kinda showcase/archive of all the Lovely & Nice Things Mumsnetters Have Done over the years. And we'd really like your help with that, please.

Obviously, we have lots of Mumsnet Loveliness in mind already: ranging from Woolly Hugs to the Christmas Appeal and including everything from the lost toy on Blackpool Pier to the small acts of kindness shown every day from one MNer to another in need of help, advice or support.

But we really want you to tell us, too, about the Lovely Things you've seen (or taken part in) on Mumsnet. Please post them here - with links to the threads if you possibly can.

We'll read them all and, when we've run out of tissues, we'll publish some of your favourites for all the world to see.

Oh, and here's a pic of (warm and lovely) nest of vipers, courtesy of the fab women behind Woolly Hugs, to kinda set the tone smile

LilRedWG Fri 12-Apr-13 14:17:02

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/707200-My-Dad-died-12-days-ago-and-now-Mum-39

This thread and the love, support and offers of help! I had various thread around this time and there was always someone there, regardless of the time. It got me through many a dark time. Thank you all!

LilRedWG Fri 12-Apr-13 14:17:23
WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 12-Apr-13 14:18:04

Please don't forget EMIN's thread about her new drug dependent baby foster child struggling with the withdrawal and crying in the greatest pain on morphine sad

The thread gave EMIN support as she looked after the baby and eventually she went to living adoptive patents.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/fostering/922821-drug-dependant-baby-advice-needed/AllOnOnePage

Gerrof Fri 12-Apr-13 14:28:26

Oh Harriet I remember devouring that thread and bawling when the baby got adopted.

Utterly haunting when she described the baby's cries when she was withdrawing from heroin.

I hope EMIN is OK - she was diagnosed with cancer wasn't she. What a wonderful woman she is.

NotTreadingGrapes Fri 12-Apr-13 14:29:43

MN is my safety blanket. I come and go, am recently back under a new name after a few months away but have been here on and off since 2004.

It's my safety blanket in a way that I know whatever life chucks at me, there will always be someone in cyberspace to hold my hand (and very probably make me snort tea through my nose) and make it better.

The threads that I often think of are Expats, and MrsDeVere's, Edgar's, CupOfTeas, Rindercellas, etc.

Threads that should never have to have been started, threads about children and partners that we all feel we know, by women who we should all feel proud to. smile

WilsonFrickett Fri 12-Apr-13 14:39:49

SN have made my DS and our lives immeasurably better in almost every single way. He's high functioning - too 'normal' for any official help. The SN board is my official help. Every technique, trick, battle I've won has come from the SN board. Complete lifeline.

Also thanks to the bravery and honesty of posters like MrsDeVere, countless parents now know that despite our own parents' attitudes to chicken pox, it is a very dangerous disease and children should be kept at home to protect others with low immunity. I genuinely didn't know this (thanks to my 70s mother and her love of chicken pox parties) and I know I'm not alone. I think this knowledge on a MNscale has probably saved countless lives over the years.

BIWI Fri 12-Apr-13 14:40:53

For me, one of the most fabulous things about Mumsnet is the real sense of community. People who go out of their way to help other people, no matter that they are total strangers.

Yes, there are the big things, like Secret Santa and the lovely Woolly Hugs crew, but it goes on all the time, often behind the scenes.

Just one small example - we're having to take undertake litigation at present, which is scary to say the least. And I have been given much advice by another MNetter, who is a solicitor, absolutely free.

When you're in a situation where you are panicking, sad, ill, lonely, frightened - or just need a quick answer to a question that is concerning you - there is always somebody here to help and to give you their time and hold your hand.

BeQuicksieorBeDead Fri 12-Apr-13 14:40:56

I had a MMC last year at 3 months, and previous to that I hadn't even been on mumsnet. Trawling the internet for answers, hope, someone who had been through the same, I stumbled on a mumsnet thread...I hadn't realised how low I actually was, and getting the advice, support and care of literally hundreds of mners helped me to come to terms with what had happened. No one made me feel daft for having a rant or a cry, and no one told me it 'was probably for the best'!

Best of all, a few months later I could 'pay back' the support, and help other mners who were going through the same and had questions about what would happen next. Without Mumsnet I don't think I would be feeling as strong as I do now. I recommend it to the people I care about as a place where you can find answers, support and sometimes, when you need it, a kick up the arse!

Doinmummy Fri 12-Apr-13 14:41:47

Maryz's support thread for difficult teens has been amazing. When I felt so low , they picked me up. When I was slagged off in RL they made me feel better, not once was I judged. All from total strangers .

The laughs that MN has given me when I'm spending another lonely night on my own.

When my son was found dead by his brother I posted on MN in the early hours of the next morning because I needed to not feel alone.

People were lovely and supportive,' held' my hand, let me cry, rant, rage and vent. They talked me through his funeral and the scattering of his ashes. They ask me how we are.

They made us a beautiful woolly hug and sent me cards.

MN has been my lifeline and my solace over the last 9 months.

There is nowhere quite like this, I have always been a lurker but everyone reached out to me and gave me strength to keep going.

Sorry HelenMN but need to post this as I've wondered where to put it, no links I can particularly think off.

I alway think of MN being a bit like a large family (cheesy I know sorry grin )

Some of them upset you.

Most of them are fab with you.

Always some you can't stand or get on with at all.

Some you really "click" with & wish you could spend an evening with (or three) & several bottles of wine or cups of brew

Sometimes you are in tears of laughter <Yoni nonsense> or tears of sadness & awe at the bravery of posters & the support their predicament generates<Mia'smummy for one>

Bur however much we bicker or fall out ignore or slag off, when anyone "outside" attacks us we pull together & stand shoulder to shoulder and anyone else who dares criticise can fuck off to the far side etc etc !

I have seethed and applauded silently in equal measure this week at the barrage of attacks on MNHQ & the dignified way they have responded.

Bugger the lot of them, Justine & team you are all doing a fab job, keep the gin flowing, you'll be fine.

<punches arm in best jolly hockey sticks fashion as hugs aren't allowed>

<climbs off soapbox>

Stillcluelessat40 Fri 12-Apr-13 14:46:00

When I had ds2 and was struggling to bf the very first night in hospital, and was crying and not understanding what was going on - I didn't get the best support from my midwives, I got it by starting a thread on MN and almost immediately having lovely supportive advice from others who had been there too. I've started many other threads for help, but I always remember how "not alone" I felt that day, especially as compared to my pre-mumsnet days with ds1.

supergreenuk Fri 12-Apr-13 14:56:08

Worried55555 where her DP ha gone missing and feared he had done something stupid. The support and help with posting his picture in Facebook etc. I was glued to the thread willing for him to come home and praying for them. Happy ending but they have a tough road ahead.

PetiteRaleuse Fri 12-Apr-13 14:59:54

My postnatal group have kept me sane the last few months during some tough times.

The Bloggers' Network have also been a great source of support and entertainment.

Mumsnet generally gives you what you need at any given time: debate, strength, support, a laugh or a slap. And as of this week we all know where to go if we have a lonely yoni.

What more could one expect from just one website?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 12-Apr-13 15:01:14

YY Wilson re chickenpox.

cardamomginger Fri 12-Apr-13 15:08:46

Expat. [broken heart emoticon]
The support and compassion shown to me throughout my diagnosis with serious birth injuries and the operations I've had to repair these. Without the kindness of these wonderful women, I would have fallen apart. MN has been my lifeline. Thank you to all of you X

SilveryMoon Fri 12-Apr-13 15:14:00

The lovely things of Mumsnet.
I have personally been touched and overwhelmed byt he Christmas appeal. The kindness and thought from utter strangers is amazing. I've received in this appeal twice and both times it brought me to tears.
The thought, not to mention the money, that went into gifts that me and my family received was truly amazing.
The advice and support I've had on here over the years enabled me to get through times where I thought I just couldn't cope.
The friends I have made on here are some of the most special I have. They know me better than my RL friends and I feel I can talk about anything here.
The way that many posters just pull together when it's needed, the threads I've seen, th effort I've seen people go to on here for near strangers.

Poisonous bitches don't do that kind of thing. Poisonous bitches don't send Christmas Presents to strangers, just because they can. They don't knit blankets for families who have lost someone far too soon, they don't organise getting together and clearing out someone else's house because she's struggling. They don't make sure they return to threads when someone is going through a bad time to let them know they are there. They don't welcome people onto threads and new topics without question. These are not the actions of a bunch of vipers. These are just some of the actions of warm, kind, caring people who all know that everyone needs a shoulder or a helping hand every now and again.

BeQuicksieorBeDead Fri 12-Apr-13 15:23:16

SilveryMoon spot on

JaxTellerIsAllMine Fri 12-Apr-13 15:25:43

we are a lovely nest of vipers. This is one of my favourite cleanups

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_classics/1635701-Today-I-Am-Packing-A-Bag-And-Leaving donewithit]]

Also, the thread where TrinityRhino was at her wits end and a bunch of MNers went to her house to help her. And the thread where there was bed tag all through the country to get a bed for her DD. grin

All the relationship threads where the best advice is given - not always LTB.

JaxTellerIsAllMine Fri 12-Apr-13 15:26:01
talktastic Fri 12-Apr-13 15:32:32

I don't come on the site very often and this is only my second post as I'm very good at putting my foot in it and have learnt to hold back or I will stress about offending anyone, but I love the news roundup I get by email - it really does genuinely make me LOL (and I'm far too old to be using that phrase). It makes me feel I'm in a sisterhood of seriously witty, clever, genuine and friendly mothers and even if I don't agree with everything I read I think this is a fab place to come and is certainly making my day more pleasant as I sit in waiting for British Gas to turn up - although the reruns of Top Gear on Dave ja Vu this morning were the day's highlight!

Habbibu Fri 12-Apr-13 15:35:25

I think MN in invaluable in many ways - it's so big that there's always someone who's been through what you are. When I had a molar pregnancy and was feeling very low, having lost dd1 a couple of years before, I had a fantastic cheerleading squad throughout my follow up, who did lots to allay the indignity of sticking my piss in a postbox on a regular basis... Also remember aitch MNing from hospital when wee dd2 arrived very early. YY to spookycharlotte, and the house cleaning thread. And funnymummy(?)'s "radical feminist visitors" when in a psychiatric hospital.

And i had a lovely PM from an MNer who was offering support now that my dd has alopecia - it's just invaluable.

BeebiesQueen Fri 12-Apr-13 15:36:12

I remember so many of these threads and am loving re remembering them again. The kindness and support is why in my darkest times I turn to Mumsnet and why I stick around during the good times to give advice myself.

Mumsnet is the place you can rant, cry, scream and shout with out fear of judgement. With out a doubt there will be someone at the end of a computer who has felt the same, has gone through similar and can be a listening ear to say, there is a light and I am it, I have been through it and am still living.

I've met some of my best friends on Mumsnet and hope to continue using Mumsnet for many many years to come.

I LOVE Mumsnet and its wonderful, kind and caring members.

PseudoBadger Fri 12-Apr-13 15:46:16

Oh gosh I've just read EMIN's thread and am crying - what an amazing story.

FairyJen Fri 12-Apr-13 15:47:59

In RL I'm very isolated. I live 400 miles ( I think) from family and dp works looonnnnggg hours. I'd never admit it but I'm very lonely.

I come on mnet and suddenly there is a whole community there to talk to, laugh with and cry with. Suddenly I'm no longer lonely.

In particular for me there are the frequent posters of the sweary thread. I've had pm's with offers of support, both practical and financial as well as emotional an most of all they give me a blooming good laugh!

I realise I sound really soppy blush but I genuinely would feel utterly alone if it wasn't for you guys!

On another note I want a knitted viper! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now