Vipers' nest? Come counter our hissy rep with your stories of Mumsnet Niceness

(486 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 12-Apr-13 10:42:32

Hello.

Well, it's been bit of a week, hasn't it? <understatement>

And we don't know about you but we think it's time folks outside MN knew a bit more about the lovely side of Mumsnet. All this stuff about harridans and vipers' nests kinda feels a bit lopsided to us - and is certainly making us pull on our Uggs wink and want to redress the balance a bit.

We're really chuffed to see such kind words about MN on Talk at the moment and also to see blogs like MmeLindor's that focus so beautifully on the "other side" of Mumsnet.

But we also want to publish, for all the world and the odd tabloid journo to see, a kinda showcase/archive of all the Lovely & Nice Things Mumsnetters Have Done over the years. And we'd really like your help with that, please.

Obviously, we have lots of Mumsnet Loveliness in mind already: ranging from Woolly Hugs to the Christmas Appeal and including everything from the lost toy on Blackpool Pier to the small acts of kindness shown every day from one MNer to another in need of help, advice or support.

But we really want you to tell us, too, about the Lovely Things you've seen (or taken part in) on Mumsnet. Please post them here - with links to the threads if you possibly can.

We'll read them all and, when we've run out of tissues, we'll publish some of your favourites for all the world to see.

Oh, and here's a pic of (warm and lovely) nest of vipers, courtesy of the fab women behind Woolly Hugs, to kinda set the tone smile

I have had so much advice and support on here, it's been a life line really.

The Secret Santa...

The carpet in my bedroom was from a MNetter, when I moved into this house and we were lacking in carpet and beds a lovely person gave me her old carpet. smile

There has been lots of other things too. MNetters really are lovely, no vipers!

EauRouge Fri 12-Apr-13 12:58:01

Oh god, that thread where some MNers went to help clean up someone's house had me in floods.

My DDs and I got some presents last year thanks to MN secret santa. I cried when they unwrapped them, it was so lovely to be nominated and for a total stranger to send such lovely presents.

You only have to look at any of the support threads, whether it's weight loss, illness, bereavement, antenatal or whatever to see the level of support.

Anyone who thinks MN is a nest of vipers isn't looking very bloody hard. Of course if you pick a controversial thread in AIBU you are going to see a bunfight but that's just one thread of thousands- take a closer look and see how supportive MN can be.

AngloSvensk Fri 12-Apr-13 12:58:38

Woolly Hugs make me proud to be an MNetter. Being able to use my craftiness to make squares and blankets for ill children, bereaving families, here and overseas.

Also, the kindness of strangers. I was feeling down and things were getting on top of me at home with my little ones and my housing situation. A kind MNetter put a KitKat in the post to me so I could "Have a break". How lovely is that!

I don't care what the DM or silly celebs say about MN, this is a fantastic place and just reading threads have helped me when I have been in need of advice. I like that the people here tell it like it is and don't fluffify things. Sometimes it takes straightforward comments to help you and you don't want to be mollicoddled (sp?).

MinkyWinky Fri 12-Apr-13 13:00:09

All the threads around miscarriage, TTC post-MC and getting through the early days of pregnancy have been amazingly supportive. They've kept me sane a) knowing I wasn't the only one b) through the mutual support, hand holding and unMumsnetty hugs smile

ouryve Fri 12-Apr-13 13:04:10

The sheer amount of support and handholding on the MN special needs boards makes it for me. Many of the parents on that board are going through a pretty hard time but achieve so much for their children, with the support of others.

SoupDragon Fri 12-Apr-13 13:04:44

I think there are far more nice stories about MN then there are viper ones TBH. They just aren't as newsworthy or we don't tend to be fluffy to journalists.

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Fri 12-Apr-13 13:11:52

On the subject of fluffy....

The invisible duck,
The little boy who wanted stamps & got letters from MNers all over the world, and MNers helping to give Pombear's DD an unforgettable Christmas present.

None of them are lifechanging on the level of the ectopic pregnancy thread, but they're all examples of MNers working together to make children happy.

I've had friendship & support & a huge amount of entertainment from MN for five years now. That's the side the Daily Mail don't want to see.

AmandinePoulain Fri 12-Apr-13 13:13:57

From a personal perspective it was the support I received after having a mc 2 years ago, and then afterwards when I was tcc and my cycles were all over the place, and then when I was bleeding during my next pregnancy (that ended happily thank goodness smile).

I've also seen so much support for others that are going through far worse on here, as well as less upsetting problems like trying to find a Spider-Man onesie for a birthday present - mnetters from all over looked in Asda for the OP. It's times like that that I feel proud to be part of this little community smile

Oh, and really loving the woolly vipers - so cute !

guggenheim Fri 12-Apr-13 13:16:41

The kind support and ongoing care and tough love of the babes,especially mouse

After a long,boring battle with the booze I finally got my ass to an aa meeting and I've been sober for over 3 months. There is no way that I'd have done this without the fab babes,whose erm...'gentle' support helped me to understand that vino is not really the cure all I believed.

Quenelle Fri 12-Apr-13 13:17:00

After I had my miscarriage I received a PM from an MNer who I hadn't chatted to before but she had been on the same TTC thread as me. I hadn't told many people in RL that I was pregnant, none of my friends knew, so I had been finding it very hard carrying on as normal afterwards.

It meant a huge amount to me to receive that little note of sympathy and condolence.

A comment I read several years ago by a MNer with a disabled DC has always stayed with me. She remarked how hurtful it was that when her DC and their classmates were on trips out from school people never smiled at them. They ignored them, or even scowled at them, because they were disabled. I was shocked and it made me look at myself and my own actions. I have always believed I would never knowingly hurt anybody. Now I try to be actively kind, rather than just not unkind. I hope that makes sense and doesn't sound too twee, or smug.

milktraylady Fri 12-Apr-13 13:18:38

LucindaE and her unstinting support for all the people suffering from Hyperemesis. She just starts another thread when the last one fills up. She checks in on everyone, giving great advice. Links to info on the drugs. And basically great support. I don't know what I would have done without her for my 10 weeks of HG. The woman deserves a medal grin

The wise advice people give on the relationships threads. It's a joke to say LTB, but there have been some threads where this is what has happened and its the best thing for that woman. I find that sort of support is wonderful.

Mumsnet is like a little window into the world of other people's lives. Some are traumatic, some make me jealous (200 quid handbag anyone?) some make me grateful for what I have. There's a lot of love out there.

And it's really funny seeing a 'viper' get pulled to pieces- they never get let off lightly! shock

And on a crappy day I look for a mumsnet classics thread to cheer me up. I actually pulled a muscle in my stomach laughing so much one day. envy

Thank god for the day I found Mumsnet, my life is better for it.

issey6cats Fri 12-Apr-13 13:23:00

a few months ago i had been on facebook and noticed that a friend of my daughters had lost her 11 week old puppy, he got out of her garden, then i came into mumsnet and on dog lost there was a poster whos daughter had found a puppy in halifax i managed to connect the two ladies and the puppy was my daughters friends so one lost pup and one distraught owner reunited only a small thing but shows the connection of mumsnet to the rest of the internet

Tortington Fri 12-Apr-13 13:23:57

i got sent a parcel of coffee and chocolate from a couple of mumsnetters who knew i was down.

also, i have been at the recieving end of Xmas parcels when my kids were younger and i was skint

mumsnet literally saved xmas twice. so i try and do that for other mumsentter now i am in a position to.

Tortington Fri 12-Apr-13 13:24:39

mn meets are also v, awesome and saved my sanity when i moved to a new part of the country

lisad123everybodydancenow Fri 12-Apr-13 13:25:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sparklingbrook Fri 12-Apr-13 13:29:51

DS1 goes to school by coach 12 miles away. My big worry was the snow, and had nightmares about getting marooned at school. A Mnetter who lives by his school and has an appropriate vehicle said she would pick him up and bring him home if need be. I didn't have to take her up on the offer but I would have, and it was such a relief to think she would have done it.

It would have been an interesting call to the school. grin

lisad123everybodydancenow Fri 12-Apr-13 13:30:01

Tortington Fri 12-Apr-13 13:30:52

a mumsentter sent me a camera once - i think i mentioned that mine had bollocksed up and they sent it to me at no cost - just cos its a nice thing to do

Tortington Fri 12-Apr-13 13:32:10

I rememer asking about cooking

i couldnt cook for shit, and was asking about it - and mumsnetters started sending me cooking books!! i still have them - and would use them if my cooker were not broken

lisad123everybodydancenow Fri 12-Apr-13 13:34:58

mamij Fri 12-Apr-13 13:35:18

It's funny. I've always see MN as a nice place to go for support and advice. There are, of course, the bitchiness, like there is in RL. However, social media loves a "nasty" story to bring in readership. There's nothing interesting about MNetters out there being an online advocate, friend, knitting blankets, bereavement support, doing charity work etc.

So even though some people have a negative view of MN, the good definitely outweighs the bad.

Sparklingbrook Fri 12-Apr-13 13:36:34

A poster had a pregnant cat turn up at her house. She took it in and it had kittens in her cupboard. smile She couldn't afford the vets bills so we had a whip round and sent Supermarket vouchers so she could use the food money to pay the vet.

whokilleddannylatimer Fri 12-Apr-13 13:37:27

A mumsnetter I had never met in real life is one of my dc Godparents.

I remember the story were two mumsnetters were witnesses at a wedding (something to do with knickers on a head in user name)

The people who have provided food/clothes parcels in times of need.

The people who have offered to pick up victims escaping DV in the middle of the night.

The mumsnetters who paid for a hotel for a member and her kids for the night to give her chance to get out and get help from WA.

The members that went down to a members house to help them practically when they lost a loved one.

3WiseYonis Fri 12-Apr-13 13:40:41

All the amazing kindness mentioned above and also the HUMOR.

We all need to laugh, it's so good for one & I have laughed until needing a Tena Lady on here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now