Non AIBUs in AIBU. They wind me up but I feel petty reporting them.

(91 Posts)
MardyBra Fri 12-Apr-13 09:11:04

They always seem to start:

"to ask you...

...to recommend me a pushchair
...whether you got a Primary school place
...to ask you for packed lunch ideas.
...to ask a tedious question about a topic I have hidden

And then they start: "I've put this in AIBU for extra traffic because it was being ignored in it's rightful place proper topic.". No shit Sherlock. Maybe it was because it was dull.

Occasionally I report, but then I wonder if MNHQ think I'm being petty/nitpicking. If only everyone would use Active Convos, then there wouldn't be this problem.

SoupDragon Sat 13-Apr-13 19:05:47

I agree with TethersEnd.

DeafLeopard Sun 14-Apr-13 00:55:03

Tethers everyone agrees with you.....on S&B

MardyBra Sun 14-Apr-13 10:38:31

It's great that there are some people who aren't bothered by this, but what if it were allowed to continue unchecked? Then the forum would just be AIBU because everyone would post there for "extra traffic".

MardyBra Sun 14-Apr-13 10:40:21

I think it's the queue-jumping aspect that irks me. The poster knows she won't get much of a response to the thread elsewhere. It's so un-British.

SoupDragon Sun 14-Apr-13 11:04:25

Then the forum would just be AIBU

No it wouldn't because the thread police would always be along, tutting and reporting.

Panzee Sun 14-Apr-13 11:13:23

I hate it too. I've got some topics hidden for a reason.

As we are moaning, I also hate the thread titles with half a sentence.
e.g.
"So I went to the shop and..."

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 14-Apr-13 12:37:22

Definitely pushchair or BF/FF threads on AIBU.
They have their own topics because no one else wants to read them, I do tend to post that they have their own topics for this.
I've only ever once started an AIBU thread, it was meant to go in chat, so I wrote a second post apologising it was on the wrong thread.
I still got told off, because no bugger RTFT though.

usualsuspect Sun 14-Apr-13 12:43:09

I disagree with tethersend.

LineRunner Sun 14-Apr-13 12:48:04

Bertrand Russell is turning in his grave.

Maryz Sun 14-Apr-13 12:48:22

I don't care whether everyone agrees with tethers or not.

She is wrong <gavel>

<realises everyone hates gavel as much as the thread police>

<doesn't care>

By the way, AIBU to be miffed that mnhq haven't addressed my point about the Village DOTD thread, and haven't responded to my complaint?

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 14-Apr-13 12:59:58

Maryz

She is wrong <gavel>

<doesn't care>

By the way, AIBU to be miffed that mnhq haven't addressed my point about the Village DOTD thread, and haven't responded to my complaint?

Sorry Maryz - we have seen it but tbh I'm not sure what the answer is right now! Will confer and come back to you as soon as we can.

Maryz Sun 14-Apr-13 13:05:19

Don't worry about it Rowan smile. I gather you have had hairy-handed visitors over the weekend, so I'm sure you have much more important things to deal with!

I'm just moaning a bit as usual

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 14-Apr-13 13:23:03

Maryz

She is wrong <gavel>

<doesn't care>

Just seen this. All my fault. I was doing DOTDs, saw that Village thread and thought "Perfect!", and didn't see the other Village thread at all. Honest, guv.

And, even if I had, we'd probably have picked the thread that was most interesting, whatever topic it was in.

We def don't have a policy of favouring AIBU threads as DOTDs.

usualsuspect Sun 14-Apr-13 13:25:24

It's just taken me ages to work out what DOTD meant.

I've not been here long. grin

LineRunner Sun 14-Apr-13 13:29:13

If it's to do with The Village, probably Dawn of the Dead.

flowery Sun 14-Apr-13 13:30:14

YANBU OP.

From a personal point of view, I spend a lot of my time on MN giving advice on the Employment topic.

When someone posts about an employment issue in AIBU, what they often get lots of responses, but largely from people with strong opinions either way and/or who mean well but who don't actually know what they are talking about from a legal point of view.

If they post the same thread in Employment, they might not get a response within 5 minutes, and they might not get loads of responses, but when they get response they are more likely to be from posters who have experience/knowledge in the area.

usualsuspect Sun 14-Apr-13 13:33:42

I thought it meant Dawn of the Dead. grin

I was most confused.

Pan Sun 14-Apr-13 13:41:51

I agree with tethers.

<I am too dull and stupid to work out what she actually means. It's just a matter of faith.>

Maryz Sun 14-Apr-13 14:36:26

Oi, what's with all this agreeing with Tethers confused. Is she the new mn guru or what?

I must go over to S&B and see what it's all about.

But Helen, if you want to name a "Village" thread as dotd, should you not name the long-running TV addicts thread, so that everyone who wants to talk about it can do it there, rather than a new thread in aibu. The "most interesting one" will always be the one with most opinions, ie the one you put in dotd?

Almost always when I see a tv dotd it's a chat or aibu. You also do this a lot as well with news threads - there will already be a thread in "in the news", but instead of encouraging discussion there, you link to a "chat" or "aibu" thread instead.

It really does look as though you are encouraging discussion where there is "most traffic". Which is fine, if that's what you want.

But if that's the case will you for heaven's sake get rid of the topics.

Maryz Sun 14-Apr-13 14:41:23

And yes dawn of the dead would be a good way to describe the Village - God it's yawn-inducingly slow.

MintyyAeroEgg Sun 14-Apr-13 14:45:11

I really wish hq would do their own moderation on this matter. I am fed up of reporting non-aibu aibus. I could report 20 a day if I could be arsed. I have even given up posting sarcastic comments on the threads themselves ...

Pan Sun 14-Apr-13 14:52:08

no Maryz, tethers as guru is nothing new.hthwink

agree about The Village threads - the tv addicts one is more populated by well-expressed, considered drama critiques around plot, characterisation, nuanced inter-play between the dramatis personnae.
the other one is populated by Eastender types

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 14-Apr-13 19:32:31

Maryz

Oi, what's with all this agreeing with Tethers confused. Is she the new mn guru or what?

I must go over to S&B and see what it's all about.

But Helen, if you want to name a "Village" thread as dotd, should you not name the long-running TV addicts thread, so that everyone who wants to talk about it can do it there, rather than a new thread in aibu. The "most interesting one" will always be the one with most opinions, ie the one you put in dotd?

Almost always when I see a tv dotd it's a chat or aibu. You also do this a lot as well with news threads - there will already be a thread in "in the news", but instead of encouraging discussion there, you link to a "chat" or "aibu" thread instead.

It really does look as though you are encouraging discussion where there is "most traffic". Which is fine, if that's what you want.

But if that's the case will you for heaven's sake get rid of the topics.

That's simply not true, Maryz - that bit about us encouraging discussion where there is most traffic. Choosing DOTDs just doesn't work like that.

We quite often link to Telly Addicts with TV DOTDs: the Britain's Got Talent on up there right now is a case in point.

Sometimes, though, there will be a thread that focuses on the particular aspect of an issue that we think worth highlighting - as was the case with The Village one, which was all about it being too miserable (or not). That seemed right for DOTD to us. And, dozy things that we are (well, OK, I am), we hadn't even clocked the longer-running Telly Addicts thread.

We completely agree with you that folks do put threads in the wrong topics - especially in AIBU when another topic would suit better - and we do wish everyone would use the full range of topics. We're also very happy to move threads from AIBU to a topic that would suit better - and we welcome reports that highlight a thread that could do with a move.

But we probably don't have the resources actually to "monitor" topics like AIBU for non-AIBUish threads that must be moved - and we suspect that might be a bit too Big Brother-ish anyway.

Maryz Sun 14-Apr-13 20:48:07

"But we probably don't have the resources actually to "monitor" topics like AIBU for non-AIBUish threads that must be moved - and we suspect that might be a bit too Big Brother-ish anyway."

Trills and I will do it for you [hopeful]

<ignores second part of sentence>

grin

<hops (temporarily) off hobby horse>

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 14-Apr-13 21:48:52

Maryz

"But we probably don't have the resources actually to "monitor" topics like AIBU for non-AIBUish threads that must be moved - and we suspect that might be a bit too Big Brother-ish anyway."

Trills and I will do it for you [hopeful]

<ignores second part of sentence>

grin

<hops (temporarily) off hobby horse>

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now