Non AIBUs in AIBU. They wind me up but I feel petty reporting them.

(91 Posts)
MardyBra Fri 12-Apr-13 09:11:04

They always seem to start:

"to ask you...

...to recommend me a pushchair
...whether you got a Primary school place
...to ask you for packed lunch ideas.
...to ask a tedious question about a topic I have hidden

And then they start: "I've put this in AIBU for extra traffic because it was being ignored in it's rightful place proper topic.". No shit Sherlock. Maybe it was because it was dull.

Occasionally I report, but then I wonder if MNHQ think I'm being petty/nitpicking. If only everyone would use Active Convos, then there wouldn't be this problem.

Trills Fri 12-Apr-13 13:08:26

"AIBU to choose pushchair A or pushchair B?" does work in the format. It's still ridiculous but at least you have tried.

tethersend Fri 12-Apr-13 13:12:59

But that's my point, Trills- technically, it's not the OP who is wrong, it's the respondents. They should only be answering YABU/YANBU.

Just because the OP wants a different answer doesn't make their OP not an AIBU question.

Trills Fri 12-Apr-13 13:16:17

So you think we could drive the non-AIBU-ers off AIBU by answering the question that they asked, not the question that we know they really want answering?

tethersend Fri 12-Apr-13 13:23:55

If it meant a lot to you, then yes, I reckon you could wink

You'd have to rely on everyone else feeling as strongly as you did though...

DeafLeopard Fri 12-Apr-13 13:29:32

We need some sort of non-AIBU klaxon so we can all pile in and say YABU for posting in AIBU. Mind you that probably applies to 75% of the threads.

I liked the old proper AIBU like it used to be, where it was really MN jury resolving joining in a fight.

It seems like posters use it to drum up popularity for their thread, and due to traffic sometimes more needy (as in, in need of help / support) go un-noticed.

LineRunner Fri 12-Apr-13 13:29:38

Given the current crop of cooker hood and resurrected ear wax threads over on there, I could be persuaded.

Trills Fri 12-Apr-13 13:30:16

I do literal answers fairly often, sometimes with a puzzled I don't know why you think this would be unreasonable <head tilt> smile

LineRunner Fri 12-Apr-13 13:33:02

Maybe it's all in the presentation, then.

I would totally get 'I'm having a massive fight with my DSis who says my doilies are vile, AIBU to twat her?' but I just couldn't be arsed with 'AIBU to ask if these are nice doilies?'

DeafLeopard Fri 12-Apr-13 13:39:45

Trills I am so copying that - I love the PA head tilt too

Trills Fri 12-Apr-13 13:42:10

YABU to twat her but she is right your doilies are disgusting, what on earth were you thinking? grin

Perfect!

Trills Fri 12-Apr-13 13:43:47

You're asking is this is unreasonable? Oh dear, are you usually this insecure in your opinions? <head tilt>

LineRunner Fri 12-Apr-13 13:45:25

It all makes sense now.

Maryz Fri 12-Apr-13 22:12:46

You are wasting your time asking Mardy.

Even mnhq (yes, I'm looking at you Helen <narrows eyes>) encourage posting in aibu.

For example, last week there were two threads about The Village, on BBC1. One long one, in Telly Addicts, where it should be. A second on, entitled "AIBU to think there is too much misery in The Village".

Guess which one mnhq made their discussion of the day? Go on, guess.

(I'll give you a hint - it wasn't the one in Telly Addicts)

[mutter]

Maryz Fri 12-Apr-13 22:15:41

I report a lot (especially in October and November grin), but I've given up saying I have reported as I dislike the accusations of being Thread Police.

Trills and I (and a few others) aren't Thread Police.

We just like things tidy.

Goldenbear Sat 13-Apr-13 00:24:31

I agree with Tethersend.

tethersend Sat 13-Apr-13 00:45:12

Now there's a phrase you just don't hear often enough on MN.

MrsHoarder Sat 13-Apr-13 05:04:50

I love the idea of looking things tidy maryz.

rumbelina Sat 13-Apr-13 06:16:19

The other problem is that people put in the subject line, 'AIBU to ask which doily to use....' To which you can respond YABU/YANBU and the latter could then give the go-ahead to ask the question.

But usually they DON'T WAIT for the reply and ask anyway in the text bit.

It's untidy, I agree.

LineRunner Sat 13-Apr-13 15:33:52

For a logical positivist, it's a nightmare.

Trills Sat 13-Apr-13 16:23:25

Do you want to know what else winds me up?

When people ask "AIBU that my SIL is doing this thing?"

That makes no sense. How can it be unreasonable of you that someone else is doing something?

AIBU to think...?

AIBU to feel...?

AIBU to do...?

AIBU regarding...?

All of these are better.

MardyBra Sat 13-Apr-13 17:12:10

I wince at little at the "AIBU that my SIL is doing this thing?" posts, but I tend to assume the poster is struggling a bit to squeeze their query into the AIBU format and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Trills Sat 13-Apr-13 17:55:14

Those ones are often prime AIBU fodder, where the question is most definitely about whether someone is being unreasonable, the OP is just not very good at constructing sentences. So they are in the right place, just poorly written.

Oh, and when people say "So do you think I am AIBU?". Do we think you are what? Are you paying attention to what those letters mean?

Happens in chat too... I'm just putting this here because I want it to disappear and I'm too bone idle to NC so I'm not posting in the right place.

Or I posted in relationships but nobody replied in the split second between then and pasting this to post here

Argh if I wanted to read your misery I'd go to relationships. Chat is supposed to be light and fluffy!

EuroShaggleton Sat 13-Apr-13 18:51:19

I'm with tethersend. I struggle to come up with anything I care less about, tbh.

DeepRedBetty Sat 13-Apr-13 18:55:06

Hear hear re Relationships... I've got it hidden a lot of the time as I can only stand so much Other People's Unhappiness. I do occasionally visit, I'll pick up on a story and support on through - I've stuck with Pickles in her various incarnations for instance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now