Formula milk powder shortage - has is affected you?

(27 Posts)
JaneGMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 08-Apr-13 13:08:44

Hi all,

We've been asked by a number of broadcasters about reports of a worldwide shortage of baby milk powder, due to high demand in China for foreign-made baby milk, following baby milk safety scandals there back in 2008.

Reportedly, some UK supermarkets have been limiting customers to purchasing one pack of formula powder per person.

Have you experienced this?

As ever, we'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
MNHQ

mum2103 Wed 10-Apr-13 11:00:30

We went to shop in Tesco yesterday and saw this notice about customers allowed to buy only 2 tins of formula. But how to buy those if the shelves are empty most of the time. It was Very annoying as I have got only 2 days worth of Milk left and will have to go to supermarket again today to hunt for the "Precious Milk". It seems the next stage of this craziness will be -superstores selling security tagged the Formula milk tins.
I think all the brand manufacturers can do is to increase their exports to China if demand is more there,there is no point in reducing the shelf stocks to create a panic in the UK.

Gemd81 Thu 25-Apr-13 18:17:35

Sooo hard to get hold of aptamil growing up milk 1+ years the only problem my dd won't take cows milk but I feel like I will make her switch out of principal so we are not reliant on the manufacturers so I don't have to go through another debacle like this again!wink That'll teach em!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now