National Union of Teachers calls for lesson teaching time to be capped at four hours a day - what do you think?

(426 Posts)
JaneGMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 02-Apr-13 16:04:18

Hello,

We've been asked by Metro to find out your thoughts on the news that the National Union of Teachers (NUT) has said that teachers should spend no more than 20 hours a week taking classes (four hours a day).

The NUT called for new limits on working hours amid concerns that school staff are facing "totally unsustainable" workloads. In some cases, teachers are left with little time to eat, talk, think or even go to the toilet, the NUT's annual conference in Liverpool heard.

The NUT passed a motion demanding a new working week of 20 hours' teaching time, up to 10 hours of lesson preparation and marking, and five hours of other duties. Other duties include time spent inputting data and at parents' evenings. This marks a drastic reduction in teachers' hours, the conference heard.

NUT Coventry representative Christopher Denson claimed that official figures from 2010 show that a primary classroom teacher works 50.2 hours a week on average, while a secondary school teacher works an average of 49.9 hours. "The same data tells us that four in five teachers have worked all through a night to catch up with work and spend every single term-time Sunday catching up with lessons," Mr Denson said. He added: "It's essential that we act to ensure that what's already NUT policy - a maximum working week of 35 hours - becomes a reality for teachers."

Do you agree with the NUT's position?

If you are a teacher, do Mr Denson's comments resonate with you?

We'd love to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks,

MNHQ

Hmmmm I don't know. I think that planning and then teaching are the most important things in my job - they are the things that make the most difference to the learning and enjoyment of my pupils. I think I could fairly easily cut out most marking of books entirely in my subject (maths) with very little effect on pupil progress. I can give them the answers (and often do to check themselves), I can look at method and overall setting out etc mostly in lessons and mark thoroughly half termly tests.

I find having dropped responsibility after mat leave that my teaching and lessons improved enormously when I had nothing to concentrate on except my subject again for the most part. I tend to plan with a colleague and we spend a fair bit of time talking through each topic and how we will structure it, we talk about how they learn it, what order does t need to be done in, what links to other topics, what misconceptions how we are going to tackle these etc.. We share all the resources we have and then we create out lessons and generally share again before teaching them. Interestingly our two year 7 classes have an average of about 10% higher in every single test this year which I don't think is coincidence.

I don't think it should take forever and of course I
Do reuse resources but I do not think it is right to spend two minutes per lesson .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now