OK MN I'm calling you on this one

(478 Posts)
EuniceDumbsdown Mon 01-Apr-13 16:54:14

Regular troll name changer starts nasty thread on Style & Beauty. You get masses of reports - even one from me! But you are leaving it because

"the OP is a long time Mumsnetter, who from time to time writes mischievous thread like this one.

She's a good egg though, and we know she doesn't mean any harm. With this in mind, we're going to leave the thread as it is"

So she deliberately starts a goading thread about fat people (again) but that's okay because she's deemed harmless not hurtful.

And I'm not fat so not taking it personally just asking for MNHQ to be consistent.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Apr-13 17:56:08

We do take your point that it's not very pleasant but we don't delete just because of offence - unless it breaks guidelines in doing so.

We included info about the poster to those reporting, so folks would know we weren't dealing with a troll or someone who'd just registered on MN to cause trouble.

SecretLindtBunny Mon 01-Apr-13 17:56:11

At the expense of overweight people?

And it's supposed to be taken on the chin because they aren't protected in law?

SecretLindtBunny Mon 01-Apr-13 17:58:24

You can read all the whys and wherefores behind our rules below but here's the nutshell version:
No personal attacks
No posts that break the law
No trolling, goading or misleading
No trollhunting
No spamming

QuickLookBusy Mon 01-Apr-13 17:59:02

But Hully got told not to post any more silly threads. Hence the site stuff thread which resulted in another (porto) site stuff thread, which ended up getting very personal.

It just doesn't make any sense that a spoons thread can generate an email from MNHQ, but GF comments and threads are ignored by MNHQ. I don't get it.

kinkyfuckery Mon 01-Apr-13 18:00:23

An an 'outsider' this thread is fucking hilarious.

Keep going.

whokilleddannylatimer Mon 01-Apr-13 18:00:55

I sometimes think what gets a warning depends on who you are posting, I have been here 7/8 years and I have seen people given warnings and other people not for doing similar things.

Sometimes it smacks of we can't warn X because they are one of the "popular girls and they don't really mean it"

Its one of the thinks that's riles me tbh.

DolomitesDonkey Mon 01-Apr-13 18:02:07

Well technically "fatism" is "disabalism" being as people over-eat due to mental health issues. Let's all mock the mentally ill.

All the cliques can fuck off too.

But goady threads get deleted all the time. hmm

Guess it's okay to slag off fat people then?

Personally, I couldn't care less about that thread but it isn't exactly fair to have different rules for different people.

I had comments deleted the other day when I was arguing with someone, I said I thought they needed parenting classes and to fuck off with something they said and that got deleted.

Technically wasn't a personal attack, wasn't illegal either. But this stands? hmm

Snazzynewyear Mon 01-Apr-13 18:03:29

But if someone's posting to be goady and uses a specific name for that, then they ARE a troll, Rebecca. Stick to your own rules instead of bending them for your pet posters.

hedgefund Mon 01-Apr-13 18:04:53

you told someone they needed pareting lessons and are surprised you got deleted?

Not surprised I got deleted, surprised that got deleted and someone slagging off a load of people for being fat isn't.

I was totally expecting that one to get deleted tbh.

Tortington Mon 01-Apr-13 18:06:23

i think you should send a standard e-mail in situations like this Mumsnet
they should Read

"Stop being a twat love"

that should do

Porpoise Mon 01-Apr-13 18:08:31

How do you know MNHQ haven't already sent a don't be a twat warning mail to the OP?

KatieMiddleton Mon 01-Apr-13 18:09:21

Well slagging off a load of people isn't a personal attack is it?

Perhaps we should post "Stop being a twat love" on the goady threads? Personally I think that should be allowed but I don't think it is these days.

Being overweight is not necessarily a disability, so that line of argument doesn't really stand up does it?

It's not, it's a personal attack.

Does that mean it's okay to go around calling people fat but they can't say anything back or they will get deleted?

SecretLindtBunny Mon 01-Apr-13 18:11:28

Exactly, Katie.

The only way people can defend themselves is to report to HQ. HQ come back with a reply like that one.

Calling someone out on threads for twattish behaviour now appears to be called "a personal attack" and yet the goading post is allowed to stand?
So unfair.

DolomitesDonkey Mon 01-Apr-13 18:11:40

What snazzy said - name-changing with the intent of causing upset is trolling 101 is it not?

DolomitesDonkey Mon 01-Apr-13 18:12:31

missbehive don't embarrass yourself by displaying your ignorance of mental illness, it's symptoms and effects.

MmeLindor Mon 01-Apr-13 18:15:04

Just wanted to say that I am not SecretLindtBunny, just in case there is some confusion. Was scanning this thread and say someone address, 'Lindt' and was all confused.

As to this thread, and the other one. I don't know. I can't seem to get riled about it. It is not a personal attack, cause she didn't say, 'Oi, Mme. You need to get on an exercise bike and work off some of that lard'.

She commented on the fat arms of people on a tv programme. Not particularly 'naice' but <shrug>.

GetOeuf Mon 01-Apr-13 18:15:58

How can a thread taking the piss out of ham hock arms be construed as mocking the mentally ill?

I don't think it's goady. Prob a chat thread tbh as opposed to style and beauty. Just one of many mildly piss taking threads that appear on here every day. Not a call to arms to mock fa people in general, just a select few who go on tv shows. See any thread about any tv show on mumsnet. You will see people commenting on what people look like - you might not think it is pleasant but it is not against talk guidelines.

And why the fuck are people still so hey up about the Breton tops thread?

Thanks for your concern Donkey but I have plenty of experience of MH issues. You can't assume that there is a medical or MH cause behind being overweight, sometimes, as in my case it can be an over indulgence in carbs from time to time.

hedgefund Mon 01-Apr-13 18:16:44

the op on other thread loves posting stuff like that, and people do get wound up! i do generally enjoy her posts though. most of the time they are funny.

agree with mme. have read far more offensive stuff on here. mostly about education wink

SecretLindtBunny Mon 01-Apr-13 18:17:51

I'll be going back to my usual name later this evening MmeLindor. smile

glitch Mon 01-Apr-13 18:18:59

Agree with MMeLindor, doesn't really seem much to get so worked up over. Perhaps everyone is getting a little tetchy after the long weekend. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now