OK MN I'm calling you on this one

(478 Posts)
EuniceDumbsdown Mon 01-Apr-13 16:54:14

Regular troll name changer starts nasty thread on Style & Beauty. You get masses of reports - even one from me! But you are leaving it because

"the OP is a long time Mumsnetter, who from time to time writes mischievous thread like this one.

She's a good egg though, and we know she doesn't mean any harm. With this in mind, we're going to leave the thread as it is"

So she deliberately starts a goading thread about fat people (again) but that's okay because she's deemed harmless not hurtful.

And I'm not fat so not taking it personally just asking for MNHQ to be consistent.

PretzelTime Mon 01-Apr-13 17:32:54

The tunic thread was about clothes. This one is about fat arms on a tv-show about food. It's just mean-spirited and weird. I kinda agree with you Katie but seriously whut?
Can I go start some goady, mean random thread on a random board now too?

KatieMiddleton Mon 01-Apr-13 17:33:20

You don't know the poster in question hasn't been warned.

I don't like threads about specific posters. It's not nice even if they are trolls or goady fuckers

landofsoapandglory Mon 01-Apr-13 17:35:47

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

KatieMiddleton Mon 01-Apr-13 17:36:18

I think that's a leap Lindt bunny and I am very hot to report anything disablist or racist or misogynist I see.

There's not been anything yet of that ilk but when there is I reserve the right to change my opinion from attention-seeking stirrer to nasty poster who needs banning.

SecretLindtBunny Mon 01-Apr-13 17:36:36

If said poster has been warned, why does she continue to keep starting such threads?
Surely if you get a warning you tone it down/ cease the offending behaviour?

SecretLindtBunny Mon 01-Apr-13 17:37:38

So what about the threads/posts mocking fat people?
Do you always report those?

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Apr-13 17:37:58

Hi all,

The thing is, we don't actually pull threads for being offensive, unless they are totally beyond the pale - how would we ever know where to draw the line?

If it is a personal attack, racist etc then of course we get rid. There is more in our Talk guidelines smile

We don't mind moving the thread at all but not because it's offensive - if the OP would like it moved, she can drop us a line.

QuickLookBusy Mon 01-Apr-13 17:38:18

Katie, why do you think it is ok for people to be goady about fat people?

The point I was making is that this poster gets reported on whatever she posts, whether it is about arms, tunics, bretons or whatever.

KatieMiddleton Mon 01-Apr-13 17:39:38

I don't know but I expect you get a couple of warnings first. I'm basing that on what Hully said and the "lovely" but departed PessaryPam

SecretLindtBunny Mon 01-Apr-13 17:39:54

So if it was a thread about gay people it would have been removed for being offensive, but because it's about fat people it can stay?

Seriously Rebecca?

KatieMiddleton Mon 01-Apr-13 17:40:22

Where did I say it was ok?

EuniceDumbsdown Mon 01-Apr-13 17:41:14

Then don't give yourself a tension headache, Kate.

QuickLookBusy Mon 01-Apr-13 17:41:47

Rebecca. Can I ask you why it's not ok to start a spoof thread about spoons, but it is ok to start a goady thread about fat people?

KatieMiddleton Mon 01-Apr-13 17:42:50

confused I don't have one thanks. I just hid it. Bit like I do when the toddler tantrums. I just ignore it until it stops.

QuickLookBusy Mon 01-Apr-13 17:44:56

Sorry Katie, that was the impression I got, as you said you'd report racism etc but not threads deliberately being goady about fat people.

lougle Mon 01-Apr-13 17:47:24

" SecretLindtBunny Mon 01-Apr-13 17:39:54

So if it was a thread about gay people it would have been removed for being offensive, but because it's about fat people it can stay?

Seriously Rebecca? "

Big difference in that being gay is a protected characteristic in law, and being fat is not.

I hate these sorts of threads but you can't equate being overweight with sexual orientation/race/disability/sexuality/age.

EuniceDumbsdown Mon 01-Apr-13 17:47:32

Rebecca - so you allow threads that are meant to goad? And it's ok to be offensive about fat people? And OP can drop you a line if she wants it moved?

Posterofapombear Mon 01-Apr-13 17:47:45

I got deleted on this thread. It was worth it.

SecretLindtBunny Mon 01-Apr-13 17:48:41

Lougle, so are you saying that it's okay to mock the overweight?

EuniceDumbsdown Mon 01-Apr-13 17:49:22

Lougle - what if obesity is caused by disability?

KatieMiddleton Mon 01-Apr-13 17:51:36

There's laws about racism etc. but not about fat people or class which I suspect is why MNHQ have drawn the line there. No point reporting if it doesn't break Talk Guidelines. It doesn't mean I and others won't think someone is an attention seeking berk or even an Atrocious Cunt.

I find the threads and posts mentioned tedious. I just ignore them rather than giving the poster what she wants which is your time.

I will add, a little provokatively, that anyone who took offence at Facebook users being wankers needs to get a grip. It made as much sense as saying peoe who read books are twats or those who phone their mother are bastards.

Snazzynewyear Mon 01-Apr-13 17:53:49

So different rules for MNHQ's best mate, eh?

Don't see how someone who only posts as a GF can be declared harmless.

KatieMiddleton Mon 01-Apr-13 17:54:17

I'm in the free speech unless it breaks the law camp on this one because I don't want to lose the silly threads like the spoons one. We need a bit of light relief.

QuickLookBusy Mon 01-Apr-13 17:55:34

Posts don't have to be against the law to break talk guidelines. Being goady is also against talk guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now