what's this PO stuff all about? I have just read some really vile stuff on here....

(1000 Posts)
Portofino Fri 29-Mar-13 19:56:15

Women presumably who don't have a certain sense of humour, or don't agree with certain (long standing) posters being described as beige admin workers who nag their ugly husbands, who were friendless at school, wear cheap clothes, have no fun in their sad little joyless lives etc etc Literally paragraphs and paragraphs of nastiness.

This is some of the most vile and misogynistic stuff I have ever read on MN from other women. These kind of comments normally come from trolls and MRA invasions. Is this really what MN has become? Does everyone think that this sort of shit should stand? What happened to the fucking sisterhood?

I am astounded to be quite honest.

Portofino Fri 29-Mar-13 20:07:24

I mean allegedly vs presumably.

Portofino Fri 29-Mar-13 20:08:59

The thread was full. I posted in Site Stuff because it is about the ethos of the site. I could just report, yes, but really I want to know what other people think about this.

cestlesautres Fri 29-Mar-13 20:09:16

What would you say is wrong with "running to HQ", ie the owners of the site?

ZZZenEggain Fri 29-Mar-13 20:09:17

she can start a thread if she wants, why not? But what thread are we talking about?

JakeBullet Fri 29-Mar-13 20:09:24

which thread are we talking about anyway?

Portofino Fri 29-Mar-13 20:09:32

Poor form? <<chokes>>

Ah. I've been described as PO in the past. I don't mind. Better than being described as a sheep who tolerates misogyny, now that would worry me.

cestlesautres Fri 29-Mar-13 20:10:33

I know, Porto. "Poor form" grin

What thread, for fucks sake?

Portofino Fri 29-Mar-13 20:11:12

Quite NL. I expect someone will point out that I am too in a minute.

Tee2072 Fri 29-Mar-13 20:11:46

Because it's like tattling at school. I feel the same way about reporting PAs. Deal with it on thread yourself. Be a grown up. It's part of being on a unmoderated site.

So you need back up, is that it Port? Don't have the power of your own convictions?

Honestly, this is the shit that's destroying this site. Not the PO. Not the reaction to the PO. The people who can no longer stand up for themselves on a thread.

Yes, I know you said it was closed to posting, Port. Therefore it will drop off into the ether sooner rather than later. So why bring it up at all?

JakeBullet Fri 29-Mar-13 20:11:50

WHAT THREAD???? Please please put me out of my misery.

TrampyPanterNoster Fri 29-Mar-13 20:11:55

naughty porto!

hmm

MyOtherNameIsFunnier Fri 29-Mar-13 20:12:13

Fuckit. It was this pile of shit, written as separate posts, about the MNers she thinks report people. On Hully's thread in Site Stuff about jokes and trolls. I was pretty disgusted when I read it earlier and I've just been back for a reread (and c&ped):

I think you're classic Po was perhaps quite clever at school, but they were never popular...they never had any sparkle...they never had any glitter...and, that's why they had to settle for a bland DH...and they sit on a sofa that looked fancy in the shop, but now they realise is just cheap tat...and they live in a bland house that is one bedroom smaller than they'd like...and is 2.5 miles away from the naice part of town...and their DCs are at a mediocre school, struggling to hit average targets...and their part time job is dull and admin based...and somehow, they never get invited to anything fun...in fact they rarely get any invites, at all...and this is precisely because they are no fun...and they have no glitter...and they have no sparkle...and the tragedy is they know it...and they know their lives are always going to be like this.

And. It. Makes. Them. As. Bitter. As. Hell.

The Po always do their weekly food shop on a Saturday morning, probably at Morrisons (but they do also use Aldi/Lidl nowadays because their DH will never rise any higher in his job, and his salary has stagnated at £23K a year for the last 8 years)...they park their dark green, 7 year old Citroen Picasso in the car park...and they walk round Morrisons, barely speaking, because DH doesn't want to be there, but daren't refuse The Po... The Po knows DH doesn't want to be there, but neither does she, and why should he enjoy himself... The Po chooses a pink jersey top with a few sequins on the collar...she knows it looks cheap, and it's wont be flattering, but she's heard that a work collegue is having a BBQ that afternoon, and she's hoping they might get a text inviting them over...they go home...DH slouches on the wannabe fancy sofa...the DCs fight... The Po tries on her new top, realises it looks shit...she checks her phone, no invite...checks phone later...no invite... The Po makes tea, and argues with DH for not helping...she checks phone one last time, no invite... The Po starts to grind her teeth, and logs onto MN...

Something I have noticed in my many years on MN, is that a certain type of poster gets targeted by The Po.

This poster typically has a bit of sparkle about them, they certainly don't have to be wealthy, or really clever or anything...but they always have character, there's something about them that attracts interest. They're colourful, memorable, usually amusing...whatever it is they have, other people respond to them.

And, sometimes people don't even respond positively, they might repsond by flaming, but it doesn't really matter, this just demonstrates that this poster has presence.

Off the top of my head I've seen Fell, and Hully, and Funny and GOML and ooddles of similar others targeted by The Po.

The Po hate them for having what they can never have.

Portofino Fri 29-Mar-13 20:12:17

I will try to find a link but I think it no longer in active convos....

cestlesautres Fri 29-Mar-13 20:12:22

Very brave of you to start this, Porto.

TrampyPanterNoster Fri 29-Mar-13 20:12:44

because its fucking horrible!

cestlesautres Fri 29-Mar-13 20:13:25

Have you no fear for your life?

Tee2072 Fri 29-Mar-13 20:14:15

Brave?

Sorry, I'll go now. It's obviously the Portofino appreciation society in here.

TrampyPanterNoster Fri 29-Mar-13 20:15:39

as opposed to the appreciation society of other posters elsewhere, LOLing and telling her that she's so right!

Fucking hell. I haven't read the thread but what a nasty shitty post hmm

TheSecondComing Fri 29-Mar-13 20:15:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cestlesautres Fri 29-Mar-13 20:16:28

Well, yes, brave; loads of us are thinking it, few of us dare post about it.

MrsWolowitz Fri 29-Mar-13 20:17:22

What a vile post! shock

Horrid horrid. Ugh.

Sparklingbrook Fri 29-Mar-13 20:17:33

I am PB. Professionally baffled. confused

This thread is not accepting new messages.