Spoofs, Jokes and Trolls

(1000 Posts)
Hullygully Wed 27-Mar-13 16:47:00

Right.

I want a serious debate about this.

I started a joke thread, in my own name as usual, about a neighbour stealing a spoon.

It was questioned as "trolling" and I got told off by Rebecca at MNHQ.

Are spoofs and/or jokes no longer allowed?

Since when?

And why?

What do people think about spoofs, jokes and trolls and the difference theereof?

Hullygully Wed 27-Mar-13 17:52:35

Candy - but when you are new to anything, doesn't it take a while to "get" the jokes etc? Why would MN be any different?

And some newbies "get" stuff from day one and just join in immediately.

If you can see why the sppon thread was a bit borderline well, er...

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Mar-13 17:53:34

UnChartered

i slightly disagree with that Helen, about reporting and personal attacks

recently i had an 'altercation' with a MNer, and we sorted it out on thread - no harm done.

Until some nosey twat decided to report us both and with the deletions it is left looking like it was a nasty spat.

Ok, well, in that situation, although it was, technically, correct to delete the personal attacks, we would like to think the MNHQer on duty would have had time to see that you and the other MNer had made up on the thread and apologised to each other - and we could then have pointed out to the nosey twat reporter that peace and love had broken on, so all was well.

Obviously, that didn't happen in this case.

LadyBeaEGGleEyes Wed 27-Mar-13 17:53:37

We need the ones that reported to come on and give us their POV about why they were offended about a thread about spoons, really.
I wonder where they are.

Hullygully Wed 27-Mar-13 17:54:19

Helen, what about these, my earlier points?

Hi Helen,

I can't agree with you, "cooling it" will do nothing except make people even more po when joking is allowed to recommence.

You can't, surely, even call it a "wind-up" - a thread about a neighbour stealing a spoon, in my own name, that is one long series of jokes about Roger etc.

Come on.

And there are loads of us who like a larf and and a spoof and a joke.

Are we just to shut up and let all the humourless po roam free and heavy-footed over MN?

How is that fair?

We have been larking and joking since the beginning, you can't let a load of newbies turn up and ruin the tone and change the style. How can that possibly be fair?

Candy - why does it matter which it is?
as long as it's not being done specifically to harm or prise money out of people...

Tee2072 Wed 27-Mar-13 17:57:14

I used to post on a forum that imploded due to similar circumstances. It wasn't fun. It's still referred to as the Night of a Thousand Knives, as so many people were deleted and banned for what was, really, no reason.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Mar-13 17:57:46

Tee2072

Okay. Then why ask them to cool it? What do they need to cool? Having fun?

No, of course not. But I gather they'd announced their intention to start a lot of spoof threads, and then they did, all at once.

It was the fact that there were quite a few of them that made us send the mail.

Perhaps we got our tone wrong in the mail (I'll have to check) but I can only repeat that it wasn't meant as a telling off or as a warning; merely as a polite request to not start any more for a bit.

magimedi Wed 27-Mar-13 17:58:12

I am not sure what 'mouldies' are - I am assuming people who have been her e along time?

I'm being lazy & copying what I said on another thread, with regard to regulars/oldies/mouldies:

" I am new to MN & love the fact that it has 'regulars' who I quickly learnt to recognise.

This isn't the only forum I use and the other two or so all have oldies/regulars & that's why I like them. You can realise the 'tone' of the place so much more easily than if it's just a bunch of randoms posting.

One forum I use I've been on for nearly ten years as have a few others. We get the odd accusations of 'clique' but also a fresh intake who understand that we have 'known' each other a long time & shared much.

It's what makes for a good forum, IMHO."

Any forum you join you have to tread water for a bit whilst you see what the place is like.

RustyBear Wed 27-Mar-13 17:58:46

Candy - does it actually matter whether the dog on the bus thread is a spoof, a troll or a joke? It's not doing any harm - if you're not sure how to take it, just don't post on it....

Hullygully Wed 27-Mar-13 17:59:39

moldies were some of the original mnetters who all flounced off to start their own secret club and upset a lot of people left behind.

BUT WE HAVE ALL MOVED ON

Hullygully Wed 27-Mar-13 18:00:43

Three of us Helen, just three.

And we started one harmless thread each.

Out of the zillions on here.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Mar-13 18:00:46

Hullygully

Helen, what about these, my earlier points?

Hi Helen,

I can't agree with you, "cooling it" will do nothing except make people even more po when joking is allowed to recommence.

You can't, surely, even call it a "wind-up" - a thread about a neighbour stealing a spoon, in my own name, that is one long series of jokes about Roger etc.

Come on.

And there are loads of us who like a larf and and a spoof and a joke.

Are we just to shut up and let all the humourless po roam free and heavy-footed over MN?

How is that fair?

We have been larking and joking since the beginning, you can't let a load of newbies turn up and ruin the tone and change the style. How can that possibly be fair?

Nope. We certainly wouldn't want anyone - newbie or not - to turn up and stop anyone larking around.

Please don't assume we wouldn't explain to those who were confused/upset/bewildered/concerned that we could see this was a regular MNer having a bit of a laugh. Of course we would.

Hullygully Wed 27-Mar-13 18:01:36

And one was about spoons

One about fizzy wine in the afternoon

And one about a van

OMG you're right CALL THE POLICE NOW

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Mar-13 18:03:12

Hullygully

Three of us Helen, just three.

And we started one harmless thread each.

Out of the zillions on here.

Three is quite a few in one day, no?

But look, we've already apologised for appearing to be humourless/grinchy.

It can be hard to get the balance right sometimes. Last time there was a spoof thread, we were lambasted for joining in, if I recall!

Hullygully Wed 27-Mar-13 18:05:24

No, three is not a lot in one day. IMVHO

And this is bigger than the telling off email of today (I appreciate you have apologised etc), the reason I am harping on is because I think there is a real danger of the whole tone of the site changing and us all being driven off.

Hullygully Wed 27-Mar-13 18:06:56

However, I also appreciate you're bored with it now, so can we take from this that koking and spoofing ARE ABSOLUTELY ONE HUNDRED PERCENT A OK as they used to be?

Just so we all know where we stand?

Hullygully Wed 27-Mar-13 18:07:13

koking is perhaps not ok

joking

BOEUF Wed 27-Mar-13 18:07:34

I know it's only Wednesday, but shall we all just get wankered? wine

Hullygully Wed 27-Mar-13 18:08:30

Speaking poissonly, I have had a very stressful day that involved the natural history museum.

So yes. Let's.

Pagwatch Wed 27-Mar-13 18:09:18

I have just discovered martinis and I am totally wankered already. Hths

UnChartered Wed 27-Mar-13 18:09:39

i only need asking the once wine

cheers

<drowns sorrows>

Hullygully Wed 27-Mar-13 18:10:17

OH SHUT UP STILT-HOUSE IN THE MALDIVES MARTINI FACE

magimedi Wed 27-Mar-13 18:10:42

Gin on a Wednesday sounds like a wonderful idea.

Gin is the answer (to everything) wine

ginslinger Wed 27-Mar-13 18:11:25

oh Pag that's where I discovered martinis. Perhaps we should start a thread about how much we love martinis in the maldives?

Hullygully Wed 27-Mar-13 18:11:25

You have red gin, magi

Did you over do the pink?

This thread is not accepting new messages.