Spoofs, Jokes and Trolls

(1000 Posts)
Hullygully Wed 27-Mar-13 16:47:00

Right.

I want a serious debate about this.

I started a joke thread, in my own name as usual, about a neighbour stealing a spoon.

It was questioned as "trolling" and I got told off by Rebecca at MNHQ.

Are spoofs and/or jokes no longer allowed?

Since when?

And why?

What do people think about spoofs, jokes and trolls and the difference theereof?

Maryz Wed 27-Mar-13 17:04:19

Yes, Hec, but if the rule is "it can stay if everyone is having fun" what do you do about the one person who manages to derail it?

There are a few people who seem to take pleasure in going onto innocuous threads and desperately trying to derail them by either getting the wrong end of the stick or being deliberately obtuse in the way they take offence.

Well tbh I wasn't 100% sure it was a joke. I suspected it was but I'm not used to Hully acting all normal.
But I still didn't report...I think someone's LYING on the INTERNET about SPOONS

Maryz Wed 27-Mar-13 17:05:11

I missed you Stealth. You just weren't the same in your disguise.

there was another one this morning where I wasn't sure but noew I can't remember that one

ginslinger Wed 27-Mar-13 17:06:06

yes, Maryz you have said it so much better than I have. Fucking doom mongers who hate laughing.

I've had bad things happen to me but I don't look for it in every pissing thread.

gnushoes Wed 27-Mar-13 17:07:20

I've lurked for a long long time and there used to be a lot of fun on the threads. Didn't see the spoon thread, but saw what happened to the freddie's parenting advice one last week which made very clear it was lighthearted but got turned into a ranthathon (and disappeared? Certainly the OP was upset at how it turned out). I do think some of the joy has been sucked out by the attitude that we have to be Serious At All Times.

Maryz Wed 27-Mar-13 17:08:25

It was probably funnys' one about the van - that was a spoof too. But vair realistic and reasonable.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Wed 27-Mar-13 17:09:39

I didn't realise it was a joke. I thought she meant it. I even offered advice on how to get her spoon back blush I am a fool. grin

It would be a stupid reason to report it though, surely?

I'd like someone who reported it to have the guts to stand up and say so and say why.

But they won't.

Maryz Wed 27-Mar-13 17:10:05

Oh, yes, gnu, that Freddies one got ridiculous. And she even said at the start that it was for fun angry

Thank you gin. Some people just keep looking until they find something to be offended about.

The most offensive thread I'm on atm is the one about conduct disorder. And that's still there. I hope the op of that one gets a warning.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Wed 27-Mar-13 17:10:47

That's true, Maryz. There'll always be one who wants to fight.

You could start a thread about how cute and fluffy kittens are and someone would come along and be a twat about it.

It might have been the van one...but I don't think it was...will lok back

Milliways Wed 27-Mar-13 17:14:45

I loved your spoon thread Hully! Those jokes make my day and do no-one any harm.

<<misses the old gang and all the banter threads>>

Did no-one offer to start a paypal fund to replace your spoon?

dinkystinky Wed 27-Mar-13 17:14:51

Hullys thread was obviously a joke - as were 95% of the responses. I love the ridiculous joke threads on MN - they are few and far between with the recent influx of PO imbeciles that seem to merely post for the purposes of pissing everyone right off.

AmberLeaf Wed 27-Mar-13 17:15:36

I missed the spoon thread, but I have been surprised lately at what is deleted and similarly, what is not deleted.

It's all weird.

HighBrows Wed 27-Mar-13 17:16:21

I loved the spoon thread too.

I love jokey threads. We need more jokey threads, real life is grim enough!

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Mar-13 17:18:16

Afternoon.

Apols if you think we're a humourless lot. That wasn't our intention at all.

We haven't deleted your thread, Hully. Or any of the other spoof/joke threads that have been started over the past couple of days.

What we have done, though, is mail the folks who started them to let them know that we have had a fair few reports from people who either got taken in and thought they were goady/troll threads or who were a bit concerned that others might get taken in and think they were goady/troll threads - given the unfortunate rise of genuine goady/troll/invader threads recently.

All we said in our mail was that we'd appreciate it hugely if they could cool it with the wind-ups for a bit (there are quite a lot of them all at once!), given the number of reports they were generating.

Again, we're sorry if the recent troubles/extra calls on our delete button has made us a bit grinchy. It's been a long month. reaches for gin

magimedi Wed 27-Mar-13 17:22:40

I know it is optional to have your profile showing but I wonder if it would be a good idea to have the date of a person's joining MN showing when you hovered over their name?

Would this not stop people from reporting trollery and even help to report trollery if you knew someone had been here 1 day or 3 months?

Pagwatch Wed 27-Mar-13 17:22:51

People report because they are upset that they were taken in by a thread about spoons?

Who are these people? Are they allowed to vote and procreate ?

Tee2072 Wed 27-Mar-13 17:23:26

The problem is the inconsistency, Helen.

[gin]?

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Mar-13 17:24:04

Tee2072

The problem is the inconsistency, Helen.

[gin]?

What inconsistency, Tee?

Magi

Problem with that is someone new and reaching for help could be branded a troll based only on length of stay

Tee2072 Wed 27-Mar-13 17:27:33

Troll threads hanging about and fun threads being targeted.

Also, I reported a thread this morning that wasn't replied to for hours.

How long between Hully's thread being reported and her being "warned"?

Why did she need to be warned if she's actually done nothing wrong? Broken no TGs?

Maryz Wed 27-Mar-13 17:28:24

The problem as I see it is that there are some reporters who report to deliberately stir up trouble.

They are invisible goaders.

Take the thread last week by Freddies; that was deliberately derailed to stop it being lighthearted. Hully's thread was reported. The "I'm going to kill my pets" one ended up in Classics.

It just depends who reports.

I do think when you get reports it might be a good idea to keep tabs on who is doing all the reporting, because I reckon it's the same people over and over.

Hullygully Wed 27-Mar-13 17:28:28

Hi Helen,

I can't agree with you, "cooling it" will do nothing except make people even more po when joking is allowed to recommence.

You can't, surely, even call it a "wind-up" - a thread about a neighbour stealing a spoon, in my own name, that is one long series of jokes about Roger etc.

Come on.

Hullygully Wed 27-Mar-13 17:30:17

And there are loads of us who like a larf and and a spoof and a joke.

Are we just to shut up and let all the humourless po roam free and heavy-footed over MN?

How is that fair?

We have been larking and joking since the beginning, you can't let a load of newbies turn up and ruin the tone and change the style. How can that possibly be fair?

This thread is not accepting new messages.