Budget 2013: did you see it? What did you like/not like?

(246 Posts)
SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 12:00:22

Morning everyone,

George Osborne will be standing up to give his 2013 Budget at 12.30pm today. With the UK experiencing its longest period of economic stagnation for a century, and the public squeezed between rising fuel costs rise, falling welfare payments and flat-lining wages, the country will be giving him its full attention. In terms of family finances it's possible that the most significant announcement for most of us has been made already: the government outlined its plans for the Tax-Free Childcare Scheme yesterday (read all about it here). But inevitably there'll be plenty more to come - look out for announcements on fuel tax, first time buyers and alcohol (dear to your hearts, we know ... )

Here's a link to the BBC's live stream; for those of you at work who can't see it, we'll post the key announcements as they happen; do tell us what they mean for you.

And for those looking for an at-a-glance rundown of what's been said, we're delighted to welcome back Mark Dampier, head of research at independent financial advisers Hargreaves and Lansdowne, who'll be sending us his bullet-point version of the Budget as soon as possible after Osborne sits down. And Will Hadwen, rights adviser at charity Working Families, which offers advice on advice on employment rights, benefits and tax credits for working parents, will be giving us a breakdown of what the Budget means from their point of view.

Off we go ...

HippiTEEHoppoTEE Wed 20-Mar-13 12:10:09

::hides behind hands and peeks through fingers::

LexyMa Wed 20-Mar-13 12:17:35

At work (public sector, but not on strike). Lunch break. Can't watch (ancient Internet Explorer that doesn't do streaming video), news websites similarly clunky, and no radio. I'm relying on this thread, don't let me down!

SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 12:21:41

LexyMa we'll do our best! <cracks under pressure>

SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 12:24:16

in fact LexyMa the Evening Standard appears to have the whole thing already!

SilverSnake Wed 20-Mar-13 12:29:27

I love the last question about what the PM will spend his millionair tax break on lol

Headinbook Wed 20-Mar-13 12:31:42

I am terrified that the 15 hours for 3 year olds is going to be withdrawn or means tested - will follow this thread as can't actually bear to listen live...

SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 12:34:37

he's up!

lubeybooby England Wed 20-Mar-13 12:35:35

oh god here we go..

Moominsarehippos Wed 20-Mar-13 12:35:40

I am listening on the radio. There is a chance I will put my foot through the telly if I watch it!

I'm not hopeful that many people,who need support will get it, and that business will be graced with goodies which won't necessarily benefit the UK or society.

SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 12:35:50

lots of cat-calling/halloo-ing ...

SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 12:36:30

this is "a budget for our aspiration nation", apparently. Can you get that on a t-shirt?

shelley72 Wed 20-Mar-13 12:36:45

Would like to watch but dear old George makes me rather irrational and want to throw things at the tv!

Scruffalo Wed 20-Mar-13 12:36:50

now they are getting a telling off....

Oodsigma Wed 20-Mar-13 12:37:17

Marking my place so I don't have to listen to the waffle and see George Osbourne

Main concern is motoring costs. We live ruralish and both drive 50miles to work.

stretch Wed 20-Mar-13 12:37:54

I am worried too. I am a SAHM and don't think I actually need help with childcare costs, personally, until I go to work obv, but the 15 hours that DS2 gets is for HIM. It's just enough to get him prepared for school.

In fact, the 2 full days he goes (I combine the vouchers and pay for the lunch hour) I volunteer BOTH days at the Surestart Centre! So not for me to go for lunch or coffees! If they withdrew this, then I wouldn't be able to afford to volunteer. Lose/lose...

Oodsigma Wed 20-Mar-13 12:37:57

Wanted to 'like' your post there shelley

Moominsarehippos Wed 20-Mar-13 12:38:06

My mums old tv had a wonky line running along it - she says it was the result do throwing her walking stick at Tony Blair!

HippiTEEHoppoTEE Wed 20-Mar-13 12:38:11

I can't even listen to him. He just sounds like this 'blah blah blah lies lies lies'. I'll just read the highlights.

fiddlemethis Wed 20-Mar-13 12:38:40

which radio statio are you listening to ?

JustGiveMeFiveMinutes Wed 20-Mar-13 12:38:51

I'm also watching, but not espcially hopeful.

Was that Ed Balls getting told off? I hope so because he's an utter tit who's set the Labour Party back years

MissPricklePants Wed 20-Mar-13 12:38:58

I am watching it now, he is getting heckled a fair bit!

MissPricklePants Wed 20-Mar-13 12:40:37

It is utter lies and lies isn't it?!

Scruffalo Wed 20-Mar-13 12:40:38

aspiration as in the medical sense? i.e choking,

the nation is choking, I would tend to agree grin

Moominsarehippos Wed 20-Mar-13 12:41:27

Sadly I don't 'aspire' anymore. I just struggle to make ends meet. I don't want handouts (not that we'd get anything at all anyway), I just want imdusties to recover and the cost of living to stop galloping. Don't get me started on utilities.

Unemployment lower??? There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. Fewer people claiming dole because fewer can claim dole.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now