Budget 2013: did you see it? What did you like/not like?

(246 Posts)
SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 12:00:22

Morning everyone,

George Osborne will be standing up to give his 2013 Budget at 12.30pm today. With the UK experiencing its longest period of economic stagnation for a century, and the public squeezed between rising fuel costs rise, falling welfare payments and flat-lining wages, the country will be giving him its full attention. In terms of family finances it's possible that the most significant announcement for most of us has been made already: the government outlined its plans for the Tax-Free Childcare Scheme yesterday (read all about it here). But inevitably there'll be plenty more to come - look out for announcements on fuel tax, first time buyers and alcohol (dear to your hearts, we know ... )

Here's a link to the BBC's live stream; for those of you at work who can't see it, we'll post the key announcements as they happen; do tell us what they mean for you.

And for those looking for an at-a-glance rundown of what's been said, we're delighted to welcome back Mark Dampier, head of research at independent financial advisers Hargreaves and Lansdowne, who'll be sending us his bullet-point version of the Budget as soon as possible after Osborne sits down. And Will Hadwen, rights adviser at charity Working Families, which offers advice on advice on employment rights, benefits and tax credits for working parents, will be giving us a breakdown of what the Budget means from their point of view.

Off we go ...

shelley72 Wed 20-Mar-13 12:41:52

Stretch - I'm also one of those good for nothing sahm that this govt so hates (after they made me redundant). Am holding out for dds nursery funding in September - she needs it as there is no way she will be ready for school next year - if there are any places left!

Headinbook Wed 20-Mar-13 12:42:08

Scruffalo I think that too every time I hear talk of aspiration.

Moominsarehippos Wed 20-Mar-13 12:42:24

I'm also watching on BBC news for the tweets. Very amusing.

SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 12:43:25

Oops, connection down there for a sec, but back up now .. Growth pegged at 0.6% for this year and next according to OBR ...

Moominsarehippos Wed 20-Mar-13 12:43:40

For every one job lost in public sector, six are created in private? Not in my industry, mate!

So teachers can work in KFC then?

Moominsarehippos Wed 20-Mar-13 12:44:05

I can actually feel my blood pressure rising.

SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 12:44:31

The deficit continues to come down, says George. From 11.4% of GDP in 2010 to 7.4% this year ...

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 12:44:55

Moominsarehippos

I'm also watching on BBC news for the tweets. Very amusing.

Or watch us! @MumsnetTowers <redoubles efforts to be amusing>

stretch Wed 20-Mar-13 12:46:20

I am not watching this live. I am just relying on MN. (Dh won't let me, he values the TV too much!)

MissPricklePants Wed 20-Mar-13 12:47:06

I am now shouting at the tv much to dd's amusement!

HippiTEEHoppoTEE Wed 20-Mar-13 12:47:08

I think I'm too ill to deal with this. I'll read the depressing summaries after I have a sleep!

SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 12:47:13

The promised spending reductions have been "more than delivered", he says ...

SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 12:47:44

The measures he will announce today are "fiscally neutral" ...

Please god not petrol. Its already £1.40 and I need the car to get to work.

Moominsarehippos Wed 20-Mar-13 12:48:13

I am multitasking! Watching on BBC, one eye on Mumsnet and listening on radio 4. I am also clearing out cupboards and doing a bit of work.

SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 12:48:30

... and apparently if you "ask the British people" they'll say that we should spend less rather than tax more. Well, British people?

Moominsarehippos Wed 20-Mar-13 12:50:26

I miss working in the City! It was so much fun on Budget Day.

SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 12:51:08

Getting into economic specifics now. Lots of numbers. Everyone in the house very muted because they don't understand what he's on about

SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 12:52:07

Govt depts are forecast to underspend their budgets by more than £11m this year ...

wannabeEostregoddess Wed 20-Mar-13 12:52:25

Well Gideots rich mates would say that...

SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 12:52:42

Schools and health budgets will remain protected this year: "our promise to the NHS is a promise we will keep", he says

SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 12:53:14

... but most depts will see a 1% spending cut

Scruffalo Wed 20-Mar-13 12:54:22

......but their staff to get pay cuts

stretch Wed 20-Mar-13 12:54:33

I think you could do a bit of both! Why not tax a bit more, esp luxury items and cut down certain others things, ie food allowances etc.. for MPs/HOL hmm

PainForLife Wed 20-Mar-13 12:55:00

he is sounding like blah blah blah to me aswell I.e lies lies lies......

as someone who was made redundant because of his crap budgets and tax cuts & being forced to go on benefits due to lack of jobs I wanna just throw "something" at him [angry face]

LOL can he feel the wrath of people as he is chocking away.... smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now