MNHQ here <waves> re. spam

(85 Posts)
RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 03-Mar-13 11:25:15

Hello

Just to let you know that we are dealing and exterminating; thanks for all the reports. Hope you'll understand if we don't have time to come on to all the various different threads about this right now.

<up to thighs in spam>

NormaStanleyFletcher Sun 03-Mar-13 14:12:57

What is the point of the spam? Is it because mumsnet scores highly on google searches, and therefore if you are searching for live streaming of a game the mumsnet post will appear high in the results?

MmeLindor Sun 03-Mar-13 14:19:50

Rusty
problem is, you would have to be a MNetter already to know that the answer to 'What kind of ham do you like', should be 'naice'.

We could have some kind of pregnancy related questions.

RustyBear Sun 03-Mar-13 14:26:12

Wasn't me that suggested the ham, Mme!

I don't know a lot about how spam bots work, but maybe you could have a question like the ones for the competitions, where you have to answer a comprehension-type question based on a page that's linked to (eg the meaning of one of the acronyms). Or could a spambot cope with that?

ShowOfHands Sun 03-Mar-13 14:29:38

I know they're busy but do you think a sticky on this thread might help stop the multiple 'what are mnhq doing/do they know/are they up' threads?

Dh agrees that MNHQ should post the originating email addresses so we can spam them back. I am tempted to go through every thread posting, 'Oh do fuck off, there's a dear' - but I suspect that would be a total waste of time.

Dawndonna Sun 03-Mar-13 14:52:58

Unfortunately, posting 'oh do fuck off, dear' really is a waste of time. It's not a person.

IamtheZombie Sun 03-Mar-13 14:55:20

Posting anything on any of these threads just bumps them back up the Active list. There are more than enough new ones still going up to swamp Active as it is. Please just report.

You are right, Dawndonna. I might have enjoyed it the first few times, but that is all.

Tee2072 Sun 03-Mar-13 16:20:11

Mine was not a serious question for consideration!

All they are hoping to accomplish is delay and confusion...and I've been watching too much Thomas...

LineRunner Sun 03-Mar-13 18:25:35

I think a good MN registration question would be, 'How much does Peter Andre love his kids?'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now