MNHQ, I was wrong and I'm sorry, and I've changed my mind and take it all back and

(44 Posts)
Maryz Mon 18-Feb-13 22:15:10

can we please, please, please revisit the "hide poster" option.

<weeps>

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Feb-13 16:21:43

Maryz

You have just turned into Olivia, Pacific.

grin

grin blush

Littlefish Tue 19-Feb-13 22:44:23

I love the word "fucknuggetry". I just need to work out how to use it in a real life conversation. grin

Littlefish Tue 19-Feb-13 22:43:24

I agree with BOF.

Maryz Tue 19-Feb-13 22:35:46

You have just turned into Olivia, Pacific.

grin

Oh, one could threatend to hide a nasty cuntweasel and watch them squirm a little before zapping them grin.
I'd get carried away with the power - next thing you know I have an underground powerbase, a white persian cat and a thing for world dominations, mwhahahaha!

<goes for a leetle lie-down>

Maryz Tue 19-Feb-13 22:17:59

I'm usually pretty good at walking away from fuckwits who annoy me.

I don't know why that one got to me so badly. I think it was because he/she was insulting everyone (I don't really mind too much if people just insult me) and was just so fecking bloody-minded about it.

I should have hidden it after the first couple of posts.

I have no idea how it would really work in practice, either. I just want a personalised zapper for people I think are fuckwits, I want to press a button and have them just completely disappear.

Imagine the power grin

Well, you are expecting a bit much if you thought A+E treated obnoxiousness, Maryz wink. Glad the leg doesn't look broken.
I have 4 boys, oldest almost 10, and I stay the hell away from your teenager threads <<head firmly in sand>>.

I seem to be one of those hardnosed people who leave threads that annoy me before I have invested too much (or I am just a lazy shite who cannot be bothered to become too het up? hmm), so I don't feel too strongly about the 'hide poster' button. However, I do see the point and I take BOF's v well made points. Would the 'hidden' poster disappear forever? On every thread? Or just on the one they were hidden on??
I am not sure how it could work or how it works on other fora forums sites?

Maryz Tue 19-Feb-13 20:17:15

It's not broken, thanks Tee.

At least they think it isn't, but he has to use crutches and not put any weight on it and go back on Monday.

He is celebrating having a sick cert for his course by going out drinking hmm.

And of course it's all my fault he had to waste his morning (ha ha, what else would he be doing) going for an x-ray. Which I had to pay for.

He's still obnoxious, though [sigh]

Tee2072 Tue 19-Feb-13 20:11:54

Thanks zombie. I've seen her elsewhere but hadn't seen this so didn't know to ask!

MN can be so confusing. It's like time travel, really.

IamtheZombie Tue 19-Feb-13 20:05:07

Zombie thinks she saw Maryz post on another thread this morning that they were off to A&E, Tee. Not seen any update.

Tee2072 Tue 19-Feb-13 20:03:57

As always, I agree with BOF's post. I always do, when she posts it.

How's son's leg today Maryz?

Maryz Tue 19-Feb-13 07:57:37

I agree with BOF.

As usual.

I think everyone would have hidden one poster on that thread, and he would have got fed up and gone away.

lesserspottedshitehawk Tue 19-Feb-13 00:09:13

^^^^^that ^^^^

<swings on bof's coattails>

BOF Mon 18-Feb-13 23:54:00

I've posted this before, so I am c&p'ing, but I feel that HQ didn't look at my arguments at all, so I will keep banging on...that said, I'm all mellow at the moment, and accept it's completely up to them. But here is my best shot:

Ok, my arguments in favour:

I think that it's time to revisit the arguments for this again: the site is much bigger and full of wankers than it used to be, and there is a lot of unnecessary conflict. Given that civilian moderators have been discounted, and that the community team's workload is practically Dickensian, don't you think that anything which will reduce personal attacks and thus the need for deletions would be a good thing?

I understand that Justine is worried that threads "won't make sense", but given that a) people mostly talk shite anyway and fly off-topic; and b) the hide button would be individually activated by choice and not compulsory, I don't think this argument really holds water.

There are many posters mature enough to never need to shield themselves from the profoundly irritating, and some folk are naturally imbued with a zen-like calm in the face of fucknuggetry, but for the rest of us, please please please give us the option to simply never have to read the posts of people we know invariably get on our last nerve.

I am convinced that spats will reduce; people will participate more widely and constructively in threads, instead of having to hide them once their nemesis appears; goading will become much less sustained; and the bill to MNHQ for gin at weekends will be slashed to pre-2005 levels.

What's not to like?

Another thing about threads not making sense- quite a few prolific posters have, for one reason or another, had their entire posting history withdrawn, which really does ruin threads. Plenty in Classics are now incomprehensible, for example, to anyone.

A Hide Poster button could be reversible, and would only leave holes in threads which the Hider had chosen, and obviously everybody can see the thread as normal.

Another argument that comes up over this issue is that we might lose the opportunity to educate posters in the error of their ways.

I reject this too, as I don't believe people would just merrily click Hide every time someone disagreed with them; the point is that posters who are impervious to reason and that you know merely serve to irritate you on a consistent basis, to the point where you sometimes just have to avoid entire threads or even topics, could be hidden so that you can participate in a discussion without falling into the trap of becoming tetchy or rude. And there will always be posters who take pride in being tolerant and patient, and wouldn't hide anybody at all. If they want to engage, they are absolutely free to do so.

As far as paranoia goes, lots of posters get ignored anyway, especially newer ones, or people just repeating previously-made points. That isn't bullying; it's just the way of a fast-moving thread, and a reflection of people's ease directly addressing people they feel they already "know". Heck, sometimes people get ignored, then someone else makes the exact same point and gets lauded as a genius the bastards . Happens all the time, and it won't noticeably increase.

If other major forums manage this just fine with no hurt feelings, why can't we?

If people were stupid enough to just hit Hide willy-nilly, then they'd end up with the equivalent of a Facebook group, or the decidedly dull-sounding moldies group, if it still exists.

I agree that the beauty of MN lies in its diversity, and I think most people think like that. I rather suspect that a Hide button would very rarely be used: it certainly wouldn't be likely to just exclude people who weren't your close mates, I think we are all more sensible than that.

But in the cases where the occasional poster NEVER FAILS to rile and upset you, it would make using the site ten times more enjoyable and user-friendly.

Men hmm

Oh well, at least a&e in daylight hours will be slightly more bearable. And who knows, a night of being sore and feeling like a twat for not going might make him more amenable tomorrow (maybe?!)

Get some sleep, and good luck smile

Maryz Mon 18-Feb-13 23:37:43

Thanks Summer - he won't go atm. He's gone off to bed in a huff, because I suggested it.

He is 19. He thinks he knows everything hmm.

We will wait and see when he gets up, but it really didn't look great.

Thanks everyone smile.

Maryz... You're in Dublin right? Call the HSE east version of westdoc and see can you get an ooh appointment for ds1. If you have a doctor's referral for a&e they don't charge.

It's Monday night, it might not be too busy. Both times I've had to do a&e with the kids we've been in and out in under 2 hours (and one of them was a broken leg!)

Night Maryz

Maryz Mon 18-Feb-13 23:27:32

I do feel better for a good whinge though smile.

Anyway, off to bed.

Maryz Mon 18-Feb-13 23:27:12

Poor ds my fecking eye [mutter]. Poor me, more like.

He will be obnoxious in the morning. And it will be my fault. And if I insist on A&E he will complain the whole time and if I don' t make him go and it doesn't get better it will be my fault and, and, and.....

I only got back this evening from taking ds2 to the neurologist after a concussion hmm

I wish they were babies again [wail]

I'm not entirely sure the person I want to hide [cryptic] is a person at all. I think it's one of those computer generated wotsits [technical term].

ThePathanKhansAmnesiac Mon 18-Feb-13 22:49:04

Maryz, you,ve had an awful week. Poor ds, what kind of football do they get up to at all these days?
I,d offer a hug Maryz, but you might put me on the hide list.
I,ve read the fred, scary, Maryz you seem to attract them don,t you?

I was stalking Maryz over the weekend. And agreeing with her a lot. <worries>

Which thread or is that stoking the flames?

Maryz Mon 18-Feb-13 22:31:24

<grabs wine from Taggie and gin from everyone else, slurps>

Ah, Maryz, crap. Poor DS. Poor you.
I don't have X-ray vision, but I'd have a look at him for you?

<passes more gin>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now