Calling Trills and other thread pedants, aibu to think that even mnhq don't care about topics [sob]

(117 Posts)
Maryz Fri 15-Feb-13 00:01:56

I have noticed today that there are two threads about Oscar Pistorius.

On in the right place (In The News) and one in the place-that-everyone-sticks-everything-because-they-are-too-lazy-to-find-the-Right-Place, otherwise known as "_Chat".

One was linked to in Discussion of the Day.

Guess which one [humpf]

I mean, if even MNHQ can't be arsed to use the correct topics, what's the point in having them. Why not just have AIBU, Important Chat, and Talking Shite and be done with it?

gaelicsheep Mon 18-Feb-13 22:38:47

Me too! Please can you do that Mumsnet? Pretty please?!

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Mon 18-Feb-13 19:21:06

I love the idea of favourite topics!

amillionyears Sun 17-Feb-13 22:43:12

I lasted 4 months! Cant see how I did that either!

gaelicsheep Sun 17-Feb-13 22:35:53

I cannot understand people who lurk and don't post. I think I lasted about 2 days before I HAD to say something!

Trills Sun 17-Feb-13 17:08:01

I have always used Active too.

nickelbabe Sun 17-Feb-13 14:31:31

I always used active convos when I first came here.

at the top of the page. I foynd the topics confusing and saw the "active" button at the top and stayed there.
then I bookmarked active and so always got diverted there.
it took a long while for me to look at the topics - I think I started off after finding soneone had posted a chicken thread and I thought "ooh I'll have a look at other chicken threads ".
most of the topics I've found existed through active convos. so yes, to me, too, it would make sense to be divertedthere first.

amillionyears Sun 17-Feb-13 12:49:32

I think some threads dont take off because of timing.
Posts that are started in picking up kids from school time, or those started around evening meal time for example, can sometimes struggle to get off the ground.

I do think, when MNHQ reorganise the topics, that things like General Health for example, would get more posts. And sometimes, In the News.

Maryz Sun 17-Feb-13 10:45:46

Approximately 1,000 to one, I reckon, greenhill grin.

greenhill Sun 17-Feb-13 10:32:22

Apologies maryz I'd not heard of "stickied" before.

As previously noted, "chat" is used as a dumping ground as people don't want their comments to be googled for eternity. Especially when a poster will sometimes use "advanced search" to throw an ancient comment back at a poster, particularly in "AIBU" when things aren't going well.

Maybe MNHQ will delete more posts in other topics after a certain period of time as the database must be getting choked up, now there are so many users.

When I first used MN, way back in 2007, I didn't find "active conversations" from the "talk" subjects, so didn't use the board very much for posting. I mainly lurked in topics that reflected my current situation / need for advice.

I wonder what the ratio of lurkers to posters is?

Maryz Sat 16-Feb-13 23:30:16

I know, that's the problem as I see it Dazzle.

So many people innocently post in aibu and get their arses burnt.

And others post in empty topic and get ignored.

It's tough - there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to what threads take off; I think it's just luck. If you get a couple of quick answers, it sort of stays in Active for a few people to notice, then a discussion starts.

I know myself that it is very tough when you start a thread really trying to find someone to talk to and no-one answers at all sad.

DazzleII Sat 16-Feb-13 23:20:08

Wonder how a newbie could get sensible answers to a bullying question, then? If they post on AIBU they are most likely to get into a ruck themselves. I think there's a good case for encouraging newbies to go to Active Convos instead of topics of specific interest to them. and to give newbies specific info about what topics are available. I'm sure Pre-teesn ans some others could go tho. (if you feel strongly about it)

Maryz Sat 16-Feb-13 23:14:34

Yes, nickel.

Once they had picture arts and crafts they could get rid of the "normal" one. Same for S&B.

Dazzle, I recognise that all the topics have a purpose. I'm sure it's great - the problem is that if you were a newbie and posted there, probably no-one would ever see it. Because few people check bullying (I wouldn't have thought) on a daily basis.

Most people posts "AIBU to be upset that my dd was bullied today" and get eleventy million responses instead.

greenhill, I thought "stickied" was the technical term [gimmer]; should I have said "stuck threads"? I just mean threads that stay at the top of the list.

DazzleII Sat 16-Feb-13 23:06:44

Not sure about the other topics you mention, Maryz, but the Bullying topic is reasonably well used, IMVHO; it's particularly good for links and info relating to very specific forms of bullying, eg death threats on Facebook or whatever. It can be invaluable to read how another parent has dealt with the precise form of bullying you are facing, and to read how schools have acted, and to hear from MN teachers about how they would take action to stop particular forms of bullying amongst particular age groups. Also legal views are useful from the MN legal beagles.

nickelbabe Sat 16-Feb-13 22:59:51

90 days.

I was just in arts and crafts. I love the pictures topics, but I think they should be merged so that all the arts and crafts threads can have pictures.

Tigerbomb Sat 16-Feb-13 22:56:49

I imagine also that a few people use chat as they know the thread and therefore their post will disappear after 30 days.

FlouncingMintyy Sat 16-Feb-13 22:49:44

We had a brilliant list compiled by Mary and I think it was Getorf of all the topics you'd ever need ... think it came to about 20 absolute max.

And I see no one has taken me up on my suggestion that Aibu should be renamed Petty Gripes. If it just had that topic heading then I think people would think twice before posting in there.

nickelbabe Sat 16-Feb-13 22:47:33

yup, talk topics definitely need an overhaul.

those that hardly ever get posted in can be removed (merged) and threads that are in the wrong topic should be moved

greenhill Sat 16-Feb-13 22:40:05

Can you imagine how busy MNHQ would be if all us pedants started reporting threads for being in the wrong topics? They have enough trouble dealing with trolls etc. It might cause a meltdown holla

HollaAtMeBaby Sat 16-Feb-13 22:35:49

Couldn't agree more I really wish MNHQ would just move all the misplaced threads to where they belong!

gaelicsheep Sat 16-Feb-13 22:31:39

stickied?

greenhill Sat 16-Feb-13 22:29:13

I like the idea for a clubs section, but must be pedantic about your use of the word "sticked" instead of "stuck" especially as you have pedant in your thread title. grin

gaelicsheep Sat 16-Feb-13 22:24:41

Facebook? Can't you talk about that, well, on Facebook?!

Maryz Sat 16-Feb-13 22:22:39

Oh, they have known for years, gaelic.

But people keep asking for new ones - there's a new science and nature one recently, and the demanded "homework", "bullying", "preteens", The great Outdoors etc have been hardly used.

It would be better to have a "clubs" section, and have sticked threads for "science", "history", "outdoors" etc and let people have ongoing chat-type threads within one topic. That way you could post a question on a thread where there are loads of people itching to talk about the topic grin.

Other dead ones are "Facebook", "Houseswap" etc.

There are loads of 'em.

gaelicsheep Sat 16-Feb-13 22:04:46

Mumsnet should already be able to see the dead areas and I hope they are working on amalgamating them quick smart. Why so slow Mumsnet? It's a database - can't be that hard!

Tigerbomb Sat 16-Feb-13 22:02:48

I agree that a views count on supportive areas may be a tad insensitive but it would help on other areas. It might then be a way of seeing just how much traffic other areas receive. People might start posting in the correct areas if they know their thread has been looked at.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now