Calling Trills and other thread pedants, aibu to think that even mnhq don't care about topics [sob]

(117 Posts)
Maryz Fri 15-Feb-13 00:01:56

I have noticed today that there are two threads about Oscar Pistorius.

On in the right place (In The News) and one in the place-that-everyone-sticks-everything-because-they-are-too-lazy-to-find-the-Right-Place, otherwise known as "_Chat".

One was linked to in Discussion of the Day.

Guess which one [humpf]

I mean, if even MNHQ can't be arsed to use the correct topics, what's the point in having them. Why not just have AIBU, Important Chat, and Talking Shite and be done with it?

Maryz Fri 15-Feb-13 13:43:57

You'll be back in about three and half minutes, gaelic. That's the length of time it will take you to click on about a dozen topics and discover there is practically nothing in them sad.

gaelicsheep Fri 15-Feb-13 13:49:25

No time now Maryz - at work. This evening though. I will make it my mission to start bumping them all up into Active Convos - care to join me? wink

GetOrf Fri 15-Feb-13 13:59:08

The topics thing is really annoying sometimes - I agree with you maryz (I think we have mutually grumbled about this for several years grin).

I think the majority of MNers use active, however for newbies that is not very apparent.

And the fact that the vast majority of topics are completely empty doesn't help. There are some very odd duplications and additions. I think MN could operate quite leanly on 20 topics or so. To have so many is really messy and, as Maryz says, leaves posters languishing unanswered.

I start posts in one of the more popular topics - so I can click on style and beauty (for instance) from active convos, as there is always a S&B thread active, and then click 'start new thread' from there. I am not going to go trawling the longwinded topics list looking for something obscure so that I can start a thread which will be ignored.

I also personally don't blame people for starting a thread in chat or AIBU rather than the correct topic. Rather than saying that those people are wrong, I think the site could probably cater the design of the site to how people actually use it (which is put all their threads in the most popular topics).

GetOrf Fri 15-Feb-13 14:00:10

Well that probably made no sense. Cater the design? I think I meant alter. grin

Trills Fri 15-Feb-13 14:07:14

Oh don't go and tell anyone off Helen - it was a perfectly polite response, but I just chose to imagine it in a sarcastic voice grin

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Feb-13 18:36:48

GetOrf

Well that probably made no sense. Cater the design? I think I meant alter. grin

Yes, it does make sense.

We're planning a change so that when you click 'start a new thread' (in any topic), you get a dropdown asking you which topic you'd like to put it in.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Feb-13 18:37:41

Trills

Oh don't go and tell anyone off Helen - it was a perfectly polite response, but I just chose to imagine it in a sarcastic voice grin

Too late. She's had her P45.

And it's all YOUR fault. <mwah ha ha>

Maryz Fri 15-Feb-13 18:41:32

Oh my goodness <clutches pearls>

Don't let the power go to her head, Helen. She will be unbearable grin

FellatioNels0n Fri 15-Feb-13 18:41:42

This has bothered me for years. If you are a good girl and you post things in the correct place they largely get ignored. We should have actual proper thread police that just move stuff.

If you have posted in chat because you want it to disappear after a bit then you should state that at the top of your post.

FellatioNels0n Fri 15-Feb-13 18:43:48

I agree Getorf. We could cut the topics in half and still serve almost every purpose.

FellatioNels0n Fri 15-Feb-13 18:44:57

And if there were fewer topics people might feel more compelled to use them, and a bit less concerned that their thread will get lost in the ether.

BlatantLies Fri 15-Feb-13 18:47:49

I love the idea that TheSkiingGardener suggested about being able to have a list of your favourite topics.

I also agree with deleting everything after 90 days or whatever. You could introduce stickies for very informative or entertaining posts.

BIWI Fri 15-Feb-13 18:53:09

Can you have a drop down menu that says 'Are you really sure that you want to post this in AIBU?', followed by 'Are you sure that you are posting something that actually requires an answer 'yes, YABU' or 'no, YANBU'?

Trills Fri 15-Feb-13 19:11:05

Followed by "if people tell you that you are being unreasonable, or in the unlikely event that they tell you that you are being reasonable, will that actually answer your question?"

Maryz Fri 15-Feb-13 19:23:01

I still think the "please note this talkboard is for adults over the age of 18 and with a sense of humour" should be added at the main talk page.

BIWI Fri 15-Feb-13 19:40:29

Oh yes, Maryz, I definitely agree with that!

gaelicsheep Sat 16-Feb-13 00:22:56

You know I want to retract my first point completely. I DO care. A while back I was looking for, and failed to find, a thread on the Les Mis movie. I posted in the appropriate topic asking where it was and was told there was one in Chat. Just now I looked in Telly Addicts for a thread about the fantastic Dancing on the Edge. Haven't found one yet.

I think of threads in Chat as supplementary chit chat where there will be "real" thread elsewhere. Not so it seems. And yes I find it does bother me after all! And it makes it blooming hard to find anything.

gaelicsheep Sat 16-Feb-13 00:33:05

It does help, of course, if one looks properly. Thread duly.found in the right place. blush

gaelicsheep Sat 16-Feb-13 14:26:24

Maryz - I give you this. That thread was on the first page of the topic in question. Posters complained about me re-starting an old thread as well (I didn't even check the date).

And why do people get bothered if you re-open an old thread?

Trills Sat 16-Feb-13 14:49:26

I think people get annoyed if they read a thread and offer advice and then realise that the issue in the OP has been long since resolved, so they feel that their advice is "wasted".

Maryz Sat 16-Feb-13 16:12:16

Yes, that is obviously a well-used topic hmm

I remember the cries from about two people for its introduction.

You do have to be careful with topics like that - I found myself pompously offering advice on a well dead thread, only to find that I had done exactly the same about a year before grin.

gaelicsheep Sat 16-Feb-13 16:18:07

He he. I think I might have done that on occasion as well. I'm safe at the moment since I was on a self-enforced break for a good while, so it's all new to me again just now.

Tigerbomb Sat 16-Feb-13 16:21:57

I would like to see a "Views count" next to a thread. That would show how visible a post is in a topic

Trills Sat 16-Feb-13 16:37:28

As long as you didn't offer the exact opposite advice Maryz smile

Maryz Sat 16-Feb-13 16:40:21

I suspect I might have done on some old threads Trills. Which would be very embarrassing.

I think we might have had a thread in Site Stuff about that at one stage Tiger. I think it was thought to not be a very good thing as there are many more lurkers than posters and it the conclusion was that it might be very upsetting on some threads for people to post and realise that hundreds of people are watching their problems and reading all about them but not bothering to respond.

It might be ok on chat and aibu, but not on the more "supportive" areas, maybe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now