Calling Trills and other thread pedants, aibu to think that even mnhq don't care about topics [sob]

(117 Posts)
Maryz Fri 15-Feb-13 00:01:56

I have noticed today that there are two threads about Oscar Pistorius.

On in the right place (In The News) and one in the place-that-everyone-sticks-everything-because-they-are-too-lazy-to-find-the-Right-Place, otherwise known as "_Chat".

One was linked to in Discussion of the Day.

Guess which one [humpf]

I mean, if even MNHQ can't be arsed to use the correct topics, what's the point in having them. Why not just have AIBU, Important Chat, and Talking Shite and be done with it?

Maryz Fri 15-Feb-13 00:40:07

Now, you see, point proven.

If I had posted this in aibu, someone, somewhere would have replied <cries>

No-one cares about topics any more. Poor, dead topics.

<disclaimer: there has been wine taken in this house tonight>

A lot of people are already in bed or are pre-occupied tonight, Mary. I clicked your thread earlier but had nothing constructive to say so ran away again. Perhaps a well time bump tomo?

gaelicsheep Fri 15-Feb-13 00:56:27

I must admit blush that I'm not too bothered about topics, as 90% of the time I pick up threads from Active Conversations <lazy>. I think many more seasoned folk like Chat because you won't be Googlable for ever more.

I think topics are useful for legacy thread management though, they must definitely stay!

PickledInAPearTree Fri 15-Feb-13 01:11:11

I care. It's outraaaaaageous.

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 15-Feb-13 01:31:56

I'm with gaelicsheep, sorry Maryz.
I'm a newshound, but the News topic is always so slow, Chat is the place to be for current events.

'Tis sadly true. If you want anyone to read your thread there are only 2 places to put it.

I love the topics, but have given up looking in them. Not enough traffic to make leafing through all the different topics worthwhile.

gaelicsheep Fri 15-Feb-13 07:48:06

Oh, it was late last night and of course it didn't occur to me about the visibility factor. It should of course, I post in topics and suffer the same thing. In Active Convos it doesn't matter to me what topic something's in but I might be missing out on loads. How long have I been here to have forgotten that?!

FloatyBeatie Fri 15-Feb-13 08:10:41

I'm always surprised at how much this matters to people. I'm another one who only uses Active to browse. It doesn't matter to me what topic things are in.

And if news items "shouldn't" be in chat, what should be in chat? You can't chat without chatting about something, and most of the available somethings fall into one or other topic. I much prefer talking in chat because of its disappearing nature.

Maryz Fri 15-Feb-13 09:13:29

Morning all.

The reason I care about topics is that loads of newbies haven't even found Active - they post their problems in the correct topics and no-one ever sees them sad.

Personally, I think if even mnhq can't be bothered to encourage the use of topics properly, one answer would be to drastically reduce the number of topics. I can't understand the vast topic list, many of which have one or two active (almost quiche-like) threads, and apart from that are areas of tumbleweed. If they reduced the number of topics it would be possible (and worthwhile) for anyone to have a quick look at a few occasionally, instead of sticking to Active.

As it is, I think there are about four of us who regularly have a look at teenagers, and about ten look at adoption. Apart from those people, anyone new who posts in either is just ignored - not because people don't care, but because they don't see the threads.

The thing about DOTD - the moment mnhq decided to link the thread in chat to DOTD, it was obviously going to be seen by lots of people. Had they linked the thread in In the News, it would have been seen.

FloatyBeatie Fri 15-Feb-13 09:23:27

Ah, yes. I see that if you land on Mumsnet home page and then click on Talk you get the Topics list, which I suppose is how new users are quite likely to first arrive. Perhaps clicking on Talk should default to Active, so people can see the whole community, as it were, doing its stuff in live time, instead of being given a view of (mostly) backwaters.

Agree that there are way too many topics.

Maryz Fri 15-Feb-13 09:33:07

Exactly, you see the topic list, you spend an hour working out whether your problem should go in "parenting" or "behaviour" or "preteens" or "health" or any combination thereof, then you carefully compose a post and put it out there, and it dies a death.

I think it is the main reason newbies feel ignored sad. They see loads of threads getting hundreds of replies, and theirs sits there, forlorn and lonely. What they don't realise is that the busy threads are all Chat and AIBU.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Feb-13 09:39:28

Maryz

I have noticed today that there are two threads about Oscar Pistorius.

On in the right place (In The News) and one in the place-that-everyone-sticks-everything-because-they-are-too-lazy-to-find-the-Right-Place, otherwise known as "_Chat".

One was linked to in Discussion of the Day.

Guess which one [humpf]

I mean, if even MNHQ can't be arsed to use the correct topics, what's the point in having them. Why not just have AIBU, Important Chat, and Talking Shite and be done with it?

Actually, we do care about Topics - more than you could possibly know <shakes silently in the corner>

But let's just say the Chat thread about Pistorius was, if I remember rightly, at the time of "dodding", rather more contained and reasonable...

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Feb-13 09:41:24

FloatyBeatie

Ah, yes. I see that if you land on Mumsnet home page and then click on Talk you get the Topics list, which I suppose is how new users are quite likely to first arrive. Perhaps clicking on Talk should default to Active, so people can see the whole community, as it were, doing its stuff in live time, instead of being given a view of (mostly) backwaters.

Agree that there are way too many topics.

And we're working on springcleaning the Topics list and making the Talk home page a nicer place to land on.

It's a bit of a marathon task, though, for boring techie reasons... Am hopeful of something sparkly and new in the spring, though <hostage to fortune>

FlouncingMintyy Fri 15-Feb-13 09:43:31

Hello Mary dear

<links arms>

I am still as rattled by it as you.

As I've said all along it just makes Mumsnet and Mumsnetters look silly.

Am I Being Unreasonable To Ask How To Make Pancakes? Yabu!!

Maryz Fri 15-Feb-13 09:45:12

Yes, but it continued to be more reasonable because it was linked to DODD so "normal" people saw it grin

Maryz Fri 15-Feb-13 09:45:52

Thank you Mintyy

<clutches to bosom in Chaos-like way>

At least someone understands [sob]

ParsingFancy Fri 15-Feb-13 09:47:52

Sparkly, Helen?

<narrows eyes>

<ungenerously picks on single word in HelenMN's helpful answer>

ScrambledSmegs Fri 15-Feb-13 09:50:00

Team Maryz here too.

When I first started using MN I spent some time doddering round the less populous topics. There's a lot of interesting stuff that doesn't get much attention, sadly.

Maryz Fri 15-Feb-13 09:54:01

I missed that Parsing.

Please, not sparkly.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Feb-13 10:00:17

ParsingFancy

^Sparkly^, Helen?

<narrows eyes>

<ungenerously picks on single word in HelenMN's helpful answer>

shock Can't believe that word came out of my keyboard. I may need a short lie down.

I meant lively, beautifully designed and intellectually piquant, of course.

ParsingFancy Fri 15-Feb-13 10:01:40

<bathes Helen's brow>

lougle Fri 15-Feb-13 10:09:47

Just because you don't see people actively posting doesn't mean they aren't reading with interest, though.

My MN routine tends to be:

Threads I'm On - check to see if people have added to the thread,etc.
SN: Children - check for new threads on there that may need answering
Active Convos - check for new threads that are interesting
Threads I'm On - if threads are fast moving

If it's all a bit tumbleweed on Active or SN:Children, I move on to 'Threads in the last day'.

I read a whole lot more than I post, in a wide range of topics - employment, adoptions, the lot.

Maryz Fri 15-Feb-13 10:12:46

I know that lougle.

It's just that with so many topics it's impossible to check them all. For example I always have a quick look in teenagers every day or so. But I should really check adolescent mental health, as there are some very desperate posters there, and no-one ever looks. Same with SN Teenagers, tumbleweed. Preteens was unnecessary and is largely empty.

A newbie posting in any of those might think that no-one is bothering to help. But in fact, no-one has seen their thread.

Trills Fri 15-Feb-13 10:15:51

Hi Maryz

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now