Right, about this edit/delete button. Mumsnet Towers I am looking at you <hard stare>

(70 Posts)
gaelicsheep Wed 13-Feb-13 22:31:38

When are we going to get one. I think my posting style is probably fairly distinctive due to very frequent multiple posts. This is because I tend to type before I've finished thinking and many of the extra posts could be avoided if we had an edit and/or a delete button!!! Why can't we have one?

gaelicsheep Wed 13-Feb-13 23:00:19

I think you should be able to edit up to the point when there are, say, three subsequent posts.

It could be used for all sorts of nefarious purposes.

You can always cut and paste from a word document where you can employ spell check.

HTH

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 23:00:35

I look for the edit button on here sometimes, then think bloody hell, MN doesn't have one.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Wed 13-Feb-13 23:00:44

Does your other forum have a preview message facility? Just use that and think before you hit post. It's not that difficult. wine?

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 23:01:37

I have a spellcheck on my browser. I still cock up sometimes.

gaelicsheep Wed 13-Feb-13 23:02:26

If it's heated thread and the adrenaline's flowing it can be quite hard to find the discipline.

A spell check on your browser! <jealous>

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 23:02:57

I haven't got time to preveiw, when I'm in the middle of a good bunfight grin

gaelicsheep Wed 13-Feb-13 23:03:24

My problem is less proof reading and more afterthoughts, or re-reading and realising I didn't make myself clear enough.

That's why I frequenly type long posts, and then delete them.

Discretion and all that.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Wed 13-Feb-13 23:04:13

Honestly, not many people no one gives a shit if you cock up. Don't worry about it. MN isn't as anal about this as some other sites may or may not be

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 23:04:15

Firefox is what you need, although my spellcheck is American and doesn't seem to like the letter u much.

HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Wed 13-Feb-13 23:04:32

Great Googlies Usual, shush! If HQ discover you are a forum floozt them side bollocks will be back!

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 23:05:37

Ah, but they do. There are always threads moaning about crap spelling on here.

I cringe when I write there instead of their if I'm in a typing frenzy.

CSLewis Wed 13-Feb-13 23:06:13

I'm with gaelicsheep again

gaelicsheep Wed 13-Feb-13 23:07:19

I'm not worried, just don't like looking like an idiot. I've been on here for years, I don't really care what people think. Although if you're already arguing a minority view, then pissing people off even more isn't great!

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 13-Feb-13 23:08:10

Hello

I think (without checking in with the collective brain) that this is something we've discussed quite a lot before, and have come down fairly firmly on the 'no edit button' side - for the reasons given here (mostly, confusion and potential for skullduggery).

Sorry to be disobliging but it ain't likely to happen any time soon.

And STOP LOOKING at other internet sites! shock

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Wed 13-Feb-13 23:08:18

Tis not your fault that some people are so anal are such pedants. Surely this is their problem, not yours? A bit of consideration costs nothing. Personally, I couldn't care less about crap spelling, it's the person writing the message who is important. gets off soap box

SecretNutellaFix Wed 13-Feb-13 23:08:23

We do have a preview button.

Why not use that instead of having to edit a post after it has been published?

There are spelling mistakes and then there is general illiteracy. No one objects to the odd typo, it is the should of, would of brigade that get my goat.

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 23:10:21

I haven't got time to preview every post. Someone might make my point before I do.

gaelicsheep Wed 13-Feb-13 23:11:08

I thought that's what you'd say RowanMumsnet and that's fine, but I don't expect to learn to love the preview button any time soon! I suppose at least there's something to be said for an honest stream of consciousness.

But then that saves you a job.

gaelicsheep Wed 13-Feb-13 23:11:36

Precisely usualsuspect!

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 23:12:13

Nooo. it has to be me making the point grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now