Right, about this edit/delete button. Mumsnet Towers I am looking at you <hard stare>

(70 Posts)
gaelicsheep Wed 13-Feb-13 22:31:38

When are we going to get one. I think my posting style is probably fairly distinctive due to very frequent multiple posts. This is because I tend to type before I've finished thinking and many of the extra posts could be avoided if we had an edit and/or a delete button!!! Why can't we have one?

gaelicsheep Wed 13-Feb-13 22:32:32

See, right there. I missed the question mark - if we had an edit button I could tweak it so as not to appear illiterate.

People would use it For Very Bad Reasons.

And Gasligtng.

ummmm

preview post is a neat tool, praps one might think it old-fangled but it works

also thinkin' before you let those fuckit-goblin fingers do the talkin' ain't a bad idea, post in haste, repent something something <insert witty and apposite rhyme here>

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 22:43:43

I'm in favour of a timed edit button.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Wed 13-Feb-13 22:43:49

Can't you just use the bloomin preview message button? confused

gaelicsheep Wed 13-Feb-13 22:45:26

Re the preview button. You know how you read and re-read an important email, then send it, then re-read it and notice a mistake? Basically that.

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 22:45:46

Yes, but most forums have an edit button and seem to manage.

gaelicsheep Wed 13-Feb-13 22:46:58

The other reason for my multiple posts, of course, is because I'm not good with silences grin. I'm not saying an edit button would be the whole answer.

FlouncingMintyy Wed 13-Feb-13 22:47:15

Sorry but this is nonsense! If you know you make a lot of mistakes why don't you just slow down and proof read? It really is NOT rocket science.

Mutt Wed 13-Feb-13 22:47:47

Crap idea.

People would keep going in amending their posts and subsequent posts would then be read out of context.

The occasional multiple post doesn't bother me and people can either spell or they can't - I don't need them amending their typos.

No good reason for such a button IMO.

ouryve Wed 13-Feb-13 22:48:01

I'd love a timed edit button. I only preview if I've tried some formatting because it takes an age. Even when I've previewed, I always notice errors or omissions after I've hit post.

gaelicsheep Wed 13-Feb-13 22:48:59

This is not a totally one hundred percent serious thread. I do know there are other options! It just seems like a fairly obvious thing which, as usualsuspect says, most other forums have.

Mutt Wed 13-Feb-13 22:49:41

But MN ain't Most Other Forums.

Thank fuck.

gaelicsheep Wed 13-Feb-13 22:50:22

Fine, I shall go on posting in threes. You know what they say about the best things... <skips off whistling>

ouryve Wed 13-Feb-13 22:50:48

This is the only forum I've been on where editing is impossible, btw. Even where people are prone to posting seriously inflammatory stuff and then going on delete sprees, they don't get away with it for very long because people will C&P their posts when they first read them so they can use them as evidence if they need a verbal spanking.

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 22:50:53

Well, a timed edit button wouldn't make a hell of a lot of difference TBH.

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 22:52:41

It's the only forum I use that hasn't got an edit button too.

usual, are you a forum floozy?

Viviennemary Wed 13-Feb-13 22:55:18

It should have an edit button at least. Somebody asked before about a delete button. And they said it would make the thread too difficult to read if people kept deleting their posts. But a timed edit button would be useful.

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 22:56:08

I am, yes.

I flit about the internet, I have no loyalty.

Mutt Wed 13-Feb-13 22:57:26

It would be just as confusing/misleading if there were an Edit button.

People could change their minds and amend posts to read whatever the hell they wanted.

I haven't found another forum. Find the couple I've looked at too displeasing on theeye.

gaelicsheep Wed 13-Feb-13 22:59:16

Normally if a post has been edited it would be indicated somehow.

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 22:59:30

An edited post usually tells you it's been edited though.

Most only give you a few minutes to edit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now