Child-free flight zones: what do you think?

(294 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 07-Feb-13 10:26:32

Morning. We've just seen this article in the Telegraph about a Malaysian airline which has launched 'quiet zones' on selected flights, where children under the age of 12 are not permitted to sit.

It seems that a recent poll of Telegraph Travel readers also found that nearly 70% would support the introduction of child-free flights.

What do you think?

Should people have the right to travel without being 'disturbed by noisy children'? Or not?

tallulah Sat 09-Feb-13 16:20:10

The last flight we took without children we were in the second row back. The people in the first row, with tons of legroom decided to recline their seats so that we were squashed (it was daytime). They filled up their own overhead locker and most of ours as well. They were up and down like a fiddlers elbow all flight.

The person sat behind me must have got up about 500 times during the flight. Each and every time they got up they yanked on the back of my seat. I was ready to punch them before we were halfway.

Still the tax on flights is now so high that I don't think we'll ever be able to afford to go again, so it probably won't affect us sad

rubyrubyruby Sat 09-Feb-13 16:22:11

So rows 8 onwards are for everyone and if you are travelling without children you may have the option to travel up the front away from children.

Why is this a problem?

stickygotstuck Sat 09-Feb-13 17:58:04

TenthMuse = "Sorry, but children are a lifestyle choice". Really??? I thought they were people hmm

I find it hard to comprehend this general attitude towards children in this country. Thankfully.

SpecialAgentKat Sun 10-Feb-13 01:59:10

Haven't read the entire thread stopped around pointless lifestyle choice argument I support this but I also...Don't. Helpful data eh? grin I support it purely because my DTs are going through that soul chilling squealy phase. Yes, I am pulling my hair out teaching them not too. But as someone who is already a nervous flyer, the trauma of having a little next to me shriek ended me in tears. I felt so awful as the littlie was just being friendly and the mum was mortified.

So I support it because I would never want my DTs to do that, and also because to this day I feel so guilty how I made that mum feel. I don't support it however because it's not the children who are the issue, it's parents with headphones who ignore them. Then of course they're going to be loud and naughty! Don't blame the child for the adult's lack of parenting skills.

Oh and don't let them ruin my anniversary dinner by having them run around overtired at 10PM winkgrin

TomDudgeon Sun 10-Feb-13 10:34:06

I have flown twice with children.
The first time was with a 7 week old. He was silent, I was crying as I had a migraine. Putting me surrounded by children would have finished me off. I had left my other three at home for a break.
The second time I flew on my own with all four. They behaved brilliantly. Sat and read, played their games or watched DVDs with headphones and didn't disturb a soul. Unlike the screechy slight drunk grown up woman a few aisles away.
I will admit my two year did cry for a couple of minutes as we were coming into land as the pressure hurt him but it was hard to hear him against the noise of the engines. Can't have been that annoying though as a businessman in the row in front congratulated me on my children's behaviour. I can't imagine how idiotically they would hav e behaved if they had sat with a load of other children to mess around with and to show off to. (Btw my children are never normally so perfect, they had just been given very very strict instructions)
Thinking of other flights I've been on its never been children who have annoyed me. Pervy men, drunk stag and hen dos, panicky people, constant complainers, snorers, seat hoggers all have but not children.

BlackSwan Sun 10-Feb-13 14:33:44

No fatties. No body odour. No one who leaves the lavatory worse than they found it.

HollaAtMeBaby Sun 10-Feb-13 14:50:34

I am more often annoyed by children on flights than any other group of people (drunks, businessmen, etc) so I think it's a fab idea. Though what I would really like to see is entirely child-free flights!

Pocketmonster Sun 10-Feb-13 17:14:29

But of course, only those adults who have never been children should qualify to fly child free.

F*** ridiculous - children are a part of life, without children none of us would be here and in the future we won't have anybody to empty our bins, drive our trains, fly our planes, nurse us, doctor us etc When did it become an acceptable part of society to treat children like smoking?

Just makes me bloody cross tbh.

LucilleBluth Sun 10-Feb-13 20:27:05

It will be MY children who will be paying for these miserable peoples pensions/wiping their arses/providing them with vital medical care etc etc......if I want to fly with them AND pay for it then I will, give me all the dirty looks you like, bring it on.

Children as a lifestyle choice, like having a fucking dog, awful attitude.

VenusRising Sun 10-Feb-13 21:32:05

I'm in two minds about this: if it means large clean bathrooms, with proper changing facilities, and well stocked nappies and wipes supply, being allowed to bring food and liquids aboard, having your buggies aboard and having floor space for sleeping children, well then there might be some merit to having an area designated to families.

If it means that families are treated even worse than usual by the airlines, (not having priority boarding, and having to wait for buggies, not being able to bring liquids needed for the infants and children aboard, in case you want to blow up the plane with them?!, (I mean seriously, wtf)) then no.

WhatKindofFool Sun 10-Feb-13 23:26:48

But of course, only those adults who have never been children should qualify to fly child free.

Well, of course!

Though what I would really like to see is entirely child-free flights!

You may change your mind about children being treated as second class citizens should you ever have some.

Lostonthemoors Mon 11-Feb-13 07:27:19

Hate this.

Reinforces the idea that children are a nuisance and don't have to be tolerated.

We all need to show consideration to others and even in my pre child insomniac days I never minded small children on planes, crying or not.

BoffinMum Mon 11-Feb-13 07:46:36

Another approach might be for airline to (shock, horror) INCREASE SEAT PITCH!

Good idea as long as anyone with kids over 12 have to sit away from me. Bloody more annoying than babies IMO.

And they always amble up late, crush your bags and climb over you.

Give me a baby over a bloody teenager any day.

Want2bSupermum Mon 11-Feb-13 08:14:12

Oh and I would also like airlines to resume carrying diapers. If they can carry tampons and sanitary towels I don't see why they can't carry diapers. We got caught short on a trip back from Denmark when the stupid lady at security pulled apart our diaper bag and was inistant that butt paste was a threat to security. DH and I shoved everything back in (yes I told her to go f herself which is why DH was super annoyed with me) and only realized just before boarding when we were changing DD that we only had 3 diapers for a flight to New York after I had packed more than a dozen... Poor kid had sanitary towels strapped to the inside of her diaper and a horrible rash due to no barrier cream. The air pressure does funny things to babies. Luckily on that flight she peed a lot but only pooped once.

LayMizzRarb Mon 11-Feb-13 15:32:49

Wow - want2bsuperman What a vile attitude and atrocious display of behaviour towards someone who was doing her job, protecting the public. No wonder your DH was annoyed.How was the lady at customs responsible for the fact that you only had 3 nappies?
Security do check peoples bags for a reason. Explosives can be carried on board a plane in many different guises. Limits on liquids/lotions permitted are there for a reason.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Mon 11-Feb-13 15:46:42

Frankly, I'd confiscate your 'diapers' if you told me to go fuck myself in the course of trying to do my job.

HollaAtMeBaby Mon 11-Feb-13 18:19:16

Where did I say that children are second class citizens?

I never said you did.

HollaAtMeBaby Mon 11-Feb-13 22:27:07

Actually, you did, by quoting my post and saying "You may change your mind about children being treated as second class citizens". But thanks for backtracking - it's the next best thing to an apology smile

Want2bSupermum Tue 12-Feb-13 02:48:25

Yes I told her to f herself. She went through every single bottle putting her fingers which had been goodness knows where into our daughters food, including her formula. She took everything out of the bag by tipping it over. I had everything neatly organized and in ziplock bags. After going through everything, and I mean everything, she decided we couldn't take the diaper cream, which by that point had been around the world with no problems. She would have been ok with us having diaper cream if it was in a tube that was less than 100ml or if we had a script for it from the doctor. I was ok with her taking the cream. Annoyed but I figured I could change her every 2hrs and wash her with water instead of wipes.

My issue was that she then told us we had to pack everything up and get moving as we were holding people up. As she had tipped things out and pulled everything out of the ziplock bags there were things all over the place. I had an 11 month old squirming in my arms because she was 'testing' the stroller for explosives. I would never apologize for my comment because she could have asked before digging into the bag. She could have let me take everything out systematically, she could have tested the stroller first which would have enabled us to have put DD into a safe place. She didn't need to spoil all the food I had carefully packed down. Instead she 'did her job' which left DD without proper food for the flight and enough diapers.

As SAS wouldn't give us milk on the plane ('Other passengers need it for their coffee') we gave our DD water. Quite frankly if I ever saw the woman again I would happily put one of DD's squidgy pants diapers in her face. DH was upset with me swearing infront of our daughter. Once we got to our destination DD was not well and so much for security. DD wasn't on the flight manifest. So this woman, who was so dilligent about diaper cream, let someone through security without a boarding pass. Something I had raised when our tickets were issued and at the gate when we were boarding. Luckily the immigration officials in the US were fabulous with us (much to our surprise). They got me a chair because I had been sick on the flight (I was 4 months pregnant) and got DD's stroller from the baggage claim for us.

So, basically she was doing her job.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Tue 12-Feb-13 08:50:50

'She would have been ok with us having diaper cream if it was in a tube that was less than 100ml or if we had a script for it from the doctor.'

Yes. Because it's her job to be OK if that had been the case, and not to be OK if it wasn't the case. If you know the rules why didn't you follow them?

How did she 'spoil' your daughter's food? Oh yes, sorry, by putting her fingers in it 'which had been goodness knows where'. What a nasty comment.

Telling someone to go fuck themselves is rarely justified and you're not being very convincing about this case being justifiable.

BoffinMum Tue 12-Feb-13 11:28:04

Clarice, officers are supposed to ask parents to sample the baby food in front of them - putting fingers into it is not following guidelines and scientifically useless, not to mention it is quite common for people to fail to wash their hands after visiting the toilet, so completely breaking every food hygiene protocol in they then subsequently handle food for a baby.

In my experience, exceptions can always be made for diaper cream for babies, as they do for formula milk, as 100ml may not be enough for a long haul flight. Officer could have referred this upwards.

Parents are supposed to be treated with respect and not hustled along when they are trying to hold a baby and simultaneously repack a bag.

I think the security officer was impatient and officious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now