Fancy organising some local MN Meet-ups? Free Dodo Pad stationery for anyone who wants to become a Local Ambassador in the next week…

(185 Posts)
EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 28-Jan-13 14:29:01

Would you like to organise a regular-ish meet-up in your Local area?

It doesn't have to involve coffee and toddlers. It could be an evening in a gin palace, a frenzy of biscuit-making at a cookery school or a trip to the nearest canoeing centre. We won't judge.

You get to be called Local Ambassador (with a special calling card, no less) and there are some shiny Meet-ups pages in Local which will make get-togethers easier to organise. Here are a few examples of Meet-ups that are already active:

local.mumsnet.com/islington/group-meet-ups/islington
local.mumsnet.com/oxford/group-meet-ups/headington
local.mumsnet.com/exeter/group-meet-ups/exeter-centre
local.mumsnet.com/norwich/group-meet-ups/norwich-centre
local.mumsnet.com/bolton-bury/group-meet-ups/bolton
local.mumsnet.com/bath/group-meet-ups/bath

Of course, you can just join an existing group (look on local.mumsnet.com to find your nearest site), but anyone who signs up before midnight on Monday Feb 4 to be a Local Ambassador will receive a Dodo Book For Cooks to archive their favourite recipes and a Dodo Household Stuff Book to keep their paperwork in order.

Please email local@mumsnet.com putting 'Dodo Ambassador' in the subject field and stating in the email your local area/town.

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 17:51:25

TheAccidentalExhibitionist

What about international ones???

We haven't got as far as international ones yet, sorry Accidental

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 17:53:36

TeWiSavesTheDay

I know I'm being awkward, but I live on the border of 3 counties and it's a right PITA trying to find anything on local because I live in one county but nearest big town is in another etc... If I want to know what's on I have to check in 3 different places.

Am I asking for the moon if I want to be able to see my small area of my county (like the way you split up London) but also the neighbouring sections of the neighbouring counties information?

We've got a My Local Sites feature coming soon where you'll be able to have favourite sites. Then you'll only ever be 2 clicks away from your other regular sites.

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 29-Jan-13 17:53:51

I have emailed re being local ambassador smile

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 17:55:18

mrscog

I volunteered ages ago but still haven't heard anything, do I need to email again?

Sorry about the radio silence Mrs Cog, we must have missed that one. If it's quicker, you can just pm me with where you are and we'll sort it out.

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 18:00:08

GentleOtter

Perth/ Perthshire? Covering Aberfeldy, Crieff, Dunkeld, Perth, Blairgowrie, Pitlochry and surrounding areas.

Try http://local.mumsnet.com/perth-kinross

Or are you suggesting area labels?

MmeLindor Tue 29-Jan-13 18:01:40

Doh. Yes. I meant Local Ambassadors.

Sorry for causing confusion.

<steals some of MNHQs gin>

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 18:03:17

GreatGooglyMoogly

EmmaMumsnet what's the difference between a Local Editor and a Local Ambassador please?

Local Ambassador: this is a volunteer role, organising regular-ish meet-ups and posting listings and reviews whenever humanly possible.

Local Editors look after a particular site. It's a more formal role with a time commitment but Local Editors get to keep some revenue from advertising on their local site.

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 18:07:22

MmeLindor

Doh. Yes. I meant Local Ambassadors.

Sorry for causing confusion.

<steals some of MNHQs gin>

That's where it went!

EmmaMumsnet - I have sent you a message via the pm system, as I don't know the right email address - I hope this is ok.

Tee2072 Tue 29-Jan-13 18:14:14

See, it's too much gin that got us here, MmeL. grin

BeebiesQueen Tue 29-Jan-13 18:44:54

Oooh I expressed interest a few weeks ago but of there is stationery on offer I'm definitely up for it! I emailed you again yesterday and am excited to get a response grin

Is this like the Tsarinas thing of honks ago? I volunteered years ago but never heard anything...

Do you want anybody for Truro, Cornwall? There are a few of us down here now and being an extensive researcher of the local gin palaces I could arrange a regular meet up grin

FirstTimeForEverything Tue 29-Jan-13 19:31:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TeamEdward Tue 29-Jan-13 20:55:55

Am I being really thick? When I go to the Local site, I can only see a link for "London Map".
I am not in London.
How do I find out what is local to me?

MmeLindor Tue 29-Jan-13 21:02:25

TeamEdward
if you hover over your area on the map, you should be able to click on it - a little box will show up on the right. Click on that, to take you to the area you need.

TeamEdward Tue 29-Jan-13 21:05:15

There isn't a map!

TeamEdward Tue 29-Jan-13 21:08:37

Ok, I have found a map! Internet Explorer was not displying a map, but Firefox is!

Kveta Tue 29-Jan-13 21:11:06

I contacted someone (Emma? Olivia?) about my local site last year - have sent a new email though smile

MmeLindor Tue 29-Jan-13 21:59:26

Phew, TeamEdward. I was ready to send you a sat nav to locate the map smile

Odd that it isn't showing on IE though. Poor Tech will get that added to his list.

TeamEdward Tue 29-Jan-13 22:05:43

The links didn't seem to work properly either. I managed to find it when clicking through to the mobile site, and then found the map when I changed browser.
And still no local local group anyway! grin

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 30-Jan-13 09:57:02

thekitchenfairy

Is this like the Tsarinas thing of honks ago? I volunteered years ago but never heard anything...

Do you want anybody for Truro, Cornwall? There are a few of us down here now and being an extensive researcher of the local gin palaces I could arrange a regular meet up grin

Yes please kitchenfairy, we do need someone for Truro, so please do email local@mumsnet.com with Dodo Ambassador in the title then I've got all the info in one place <flexes fingers for mammoth spreadsheet session>

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 30-Jan-13 09:59:52

TeamEdward

Am I being really thick? When I go to the Local site, I can only see a link for "London Map".
I am not in London.
How do I find out what is local to me?

Are you using an old version of Internet Explorer? If you are, the map won't show. We know about this glitch and it's on Tech's list. You can go through to Local sites via Talk topics too. Go to Talk on the main site, click on All Topics. Scroll down to Mumsnet Local and you can find a list of all the sites that way. Or just pm me with where you are and I'll give you some direct urls.

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 30-Jan-13 10:00:32

FirstTimeForEverything

Has someone volunteered for the Dorset area?

We're aiming for several in each county FirstTime, so do email me…

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 30-Jan-13 10:03:42

TeamEdward

The links didn't seem to work properly either. I managed to find it when clicking through to the mobile site, and then found the map when I changed browser.
And still no local local group anyway! grin

<should have read to the bottom of the thread> That'll be because there's no Local Editor in your area yet TeamEdward. If you email me at local@mumsnet.com you can help me set up some appropriate area labels for your nearest site thanks brew

JustCallMeBaldrick Wed 30-Jan-13 11:09:39

I emailed but haven't heard anything <sniff> <feels ignored by MNHQ>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now