Fancy organising some local MN Meet-ups? Free Dodo Pad stationery for anyone who wants to become a Local Ambassador in the next week…

(185 Posts)
EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 28-Jan-13 14:29:01

Would you like to organise a regular-ish meet-up in your Local area?

It doesn't have to involve coffee and toddlers. It could be an evening in a gin palace, a frenzy of biscuit-making at a cookery school or a trip to the nearest canoeing centre. We won't judge.

You get to be called Local Ambassador (with a special calling card, no less) and there are some shiny Meet-ups pages in Local which will make get-togethers easier to organise. Here are a few examples of Meet-ups that are already active:

local.mumsnet.com/islington/group-meet-ups/islington
local.mumsnet.com/oxford/group-meet-ups/headington
local.mumsnet.com/exeter/group-meet-ups/exeter-centre
local.mumsnet.com/norwich/group-meet-ups/norwich-centre
local.mumsnet.com/bolton-bury/group-meet-ups/bolton
local.mumsnet.com/bath/group-meet-ups/bath

Of course, you can just join an existing group (look on local.mumsnet.com to find your nearest site), but anyone who signs up before midnight on Monday Feb 4 to be a Local Ambassador will receive a Dodo Book For Cooks to archive their favourite recipes and a Dodo Household Stuff Book to keep their paperwork in order.

Please email local@mumsnet.com putting 'Dodo Ambassador' in the subject field and stating in the email your local area/town.

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 12:08:57

HanneHolm

station*E*ery!! argh

Ye gods… blush

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 12:13:33

Blatherskite

I am already a Local Ambassador. Do I get a calling card and free stationary?

Yes you do. Could you email me at local@mumsnet.com with the area you're Local Ambassador for and your home address.

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 12:16:05

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius

Ooh - I wish you needed one in my area - I love stationary - any stationary. [stationarywhore] And I do help organise the Glasgow Woolly Hug meet ups. [hopeful]

If you're in Glasgow, then we do need you… Email me!

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 12:17:13

HelenMumsnet

shock We have edited the thread title now, to spare EmmaMN's blushes.

Thanks Helen, pass the gin would you?

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 12:20:12

LillethTheCat

Part of me would love to, but the other part is scared that no-one will be interested. how much commitment is involved?

We just ask Local Ambassadors to organise a regular-ish meet-up (say every month to 6 weeks) and add useful listings if they have the time and inclination. Obviously LAs can't start organising a meet-up until a few people have joined their group.

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 12:24:24

LillethTheCat

How come there's loads for Bath and Oxford, but not a lot for North Yorkshire?

Very good question Lilleth. It's because we haven't got a Local Editor in North Yorkshire yet, so we haven't created area labels, but if anyone is interested in becoming a Local Ambassador in a site without a Local Editor, we can create some area labels with their help and get things started.

Blatherskite Tue 29-Jan-13 12:39:13

Whoo hoo! grin

I've sent you a message, Emma!

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 29-Jan-13 12:42:51

OK - Just tried to join up for my local area meet up group and it told me that this feature is coming soon?

Kormachameleon Tue 29-Jan-13 13:05:52

Will you be replying to all emails ? By the looks of things I have a local site but there are no recent posts, all seem to be 08/09/10
Does that mean it isn't active ?

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 13:06:18

NormaStanleyFletcher

OK - Just tried to join up for my local area meet up group and it told me that this feature is coming soon?

Hmm, you can join from both mobile and desktop sites. Could you pm me which meet-up (and within which site) you were trying to join and I'll take a look?

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 29-Jan-13 13:10:59

Ah - I may have got the wrong end of the stick then. There are no meet up's in that site yet, so I guess you are joining up for a specific meetup, rather than "here is a list of people around X that would be interested in a potential meetup" type list.

MariusEarlobe Tue 29-Jan-13 13:33:22

Norma, the local ambassador will organise a meet up and post details in the meet up section for a specific time and date.

There's also a friendship bench for just is anyone in x area and fancies a coffee.

LillethTheCat Tue 29-Jan-13 13:59:32

Very good question Lilleth. It's because we haven't got a Local Editor in North Yorkshire yet, so we haven't created area labels, but if anyone is interested in becoming a Local Ambassador in a site without a Local Editor, we can create some area labels with their help and get things started.

I have emailed yesterday. I can do once a month easily grin

So how do we go about creating area labels? Id love to help out.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Tue 29-Jan-13 14:35:09

What about international ones???

I know I'm being awkward, but I live on the border of 3 counties and it's a right PITA trying to find anything on local because I live in one county but nearest big town is in another etc... If I want to know what's on I have to check in 3 different places.

Am I asking for the moon if I want to be able to see my small area of my county (like the way you split up London) but also the neighbouring sections of the neighbouring counties information?

mrscog Tue 29-Jan-13 14:47:35

I volunteered ages ago but still haven't heard anything, do I need to email again?

GentleOtter Tue 29-Jan-13 14:58:26

Perth/ Perthshire? Covering Aberfeldy, Crieff, Dunkeld, Perth, Blairgowrie, Pitlochry and surrounding areas.

Skoggy Tue 29-Jan-13 15:20:13

I've emailed regarding a LA for South Tyneside.

Tee2072 Tue 29-Jan-13 15:41:02

I am looking for LAs for Belfast.

East
South
North
West
Central

Or some combo thereof would be great!!

[pathetic begging emoticon filled with love]

GreatGooglyMoogly Tue 29-Jan-13 16:25:15

EmmaMumsnet what's the difference between a Local Editor and a Local Ambassador please?

MmeLindor Tue 29-Jan-13 17:18:53

Dundee Local Editors needed for following areas (although we might combine areas - we have too many, I think)

Craigie
Douglas
Dundee centre
Fintry / Whitfield
Law / Hilltown / Stobswell
Lochee / Charleston
Menzieshill
Montifieth
Pitkerro
St Marys /Ardler /Kirkton
West End
West Ferry / Broughty Ferry

Commitment is to help find activities in the area, and to organise a meet up once a month. I am chatting to local businesses to get you some discounts or freebies eg when you organise a meet up in a cafe, that you get free cake. I also try to organise free tickets to attractions, in return for you writing a review.

Follow us on

Facebook
Twitter
Mumsnet Local

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 17:47:30

LillethTheCat

*Very good question Lilleth. It's because we haven't got a Local Editor in North Yorkshire yet, so we haven't created area labels, but if anyone is interested in becoming a Local Ambassador in a site without a Local Editor, we can create some area labels with their help and get things started.*

I have emailed yesterday. I can do once a month easily grin

So how do we go about creating area labels? Id love to help out.

I'll email you back Lilleth, let's discuss towns and favourite cocktails

Tee2072 Tue 29-Jan-13 17:48:40

MmeL means Local Ambassadors. grin

Great LEs run the local sites and deal with the advertising, listing editing, etc. LAs help by running meet ups, writing reviews etc.

Like Mmel said, all of us LEs, so far as I know, are talking to businesses about getting the LAs discounts and things so they'll go and write a review on their MN Local.

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 17:49:23

NormaStanleyFletcher

Ah - I may have got the wrong end of the stick then. There are no meet up's in that site yet, so I guess you are joining up for a specific meetup, rather than "here is a list of people around X that would be interested in a potential meetup" type list.

The Meet-ups are designed as your latter suggestion "here is a list of people around X that would be interested in a potential meetup" type list

But if there's no Local Ambassador in your area yet, there won't be any group to hang out in, unless er, you start one…

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now