Here's what I don't get about Mumsnet postings

(116 Posts)
TheGreatGatsby Tue 15-Jan-13 23:10:23

1. Why would you use so many acronyms? Is it really so much more time consuming to write "my son" than "DS"? Just type what you mean people, it's only a few more characters.
2. What is the strikethrough all about?? Every other message seems to include a sentence or two that the poster has inexplicably chosen to apply strikethrough to. Can anyone explain why? Do people really find it witty?

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Tue 15-Jan-13 23:33:06

Boysarelikedogs - you no longer have to do each word - you can now do whole passages of text grin

TGG - glad you aren't just picking a fight could have fooled me both the acs and strike through are great smile HTH

OeufsEnCocotte Tue 15-Jan-13 23:33:23

Are you a bloke OP?

crazynanna Tue 15-Jan-13 23:33:26

fora

GetOrf Tue 15-Jan-13 23:34:00

We don't have to include everyone. It's not school.

But if you are a good'un people will welcome you with open arms. Coming out with passagg nonsense 'do people find it witty' will mark you out as a Moira.

usualsuspect Tue 15-Jan-13 23:34:48

Whats a Moira?

GetOrf Tue 15-Jan-13 23:35:02

I loathe the bear. LOATHE.

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Tue 15-Jan-13 23:35:08

I want Cunty Corner!

<starts cunty sit in>

ZooAnimals Tue 15-Jan-13 23:35:21

Can cunty corner be opposite flouncers corner? So that we can just nip over and flounce if someone is cunty?

bear You cant say that when I've only just found out the complex code so I can use it!

GetOrf Tue 15-Jan-13 23:36:07

I don't know usual I just made it up. But Moira's are usually humourless cows who like to boss people about in my experience.

usualsuspect Tue 15-Jan-13 23:36:13

We can shove the cunty people into flouncers corner when we are bored with them.

usualsuspect Tue 15-Jan-13 23:36:51

Like Moira from Emmerdale? grin

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Tue 15-Jan-13 23:37:19

But it should be close enough so we can chuck bears at them

GetOrf Tue 15-Jan-13 23:37:30

They should rename AIBU Cunty Corner.

It's apt.

TheGreatGatsby Tue 15-Jan-13 23:37:37

Good to know GetOrf, will remember that.

No, not a bloke. Just a very normal mum who is struggling to understand some Mumsnet habits.

usualsuspect Tue 15-Jan-13 23:38:17

I was going to go to bed before 11 tonight <shakes fist at OP>

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Tue 15-Jan-13 23:38:22

There's so much great about Mumsnet but then there's some stuff that just seems to be about making new people feel stupid or not included

That's a ridiculous attitude. There are in-jokes, there are abbreviations, there are all kinds of things that go on that not everyone is in on, old or new. Of course the longer you are here, and the more you post, the more you 'get' them, like anywhere else in life... you can't expect hundreds of people to act as though everyone is new all of the time just so someone doesn't feel 'left out' not knowing why something is so funny??!!

<testing>

bear

GetOrf Tue 15-Jan-13 23:39:37

Ooh is there a cow called moira in emmerdale?

There was a horrible bossy type called that in malory towers as well I think.

ooh yay it worked

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Tue 15-Jan-13 23:39:59

But Moira's are usually humourless cows who like to boss people about in my experience

Spot on!!!

Moira on Emmerdale is not a typical Moira, not at all!!

usualsuspect Tue 15-Jan-13 23:41:13

Well shes not really a cow, but shes a bit bossy, she used to be in Take The High Road. I don't spend all my life watching soaps, honest

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Tue 15-Jan-13 23:41:32

and while I'm on a roll, there are lots of things on MN that don't float my boat yet others find hilarious, I either don't click on the thread or if I do by accident I get off the thread - I don't post 'do people really think it's funny' - because clearly they do! It's a no brainer surely??

usualsuspect Tue 15-Jan-13 23:41:55

Shes shagging Cain jealous

I joined in Feb of last year and I didn't understand either but you learn.

Heres a bear just for you.

strike outs are fun when you learn to use them correctly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now