Here's what I don't get about Mumsnet postings

(116 Posts)
TheGreatGatsby Tue 15-Jan-13 23:10:23

1. Why would you use so many acronyms? Is it really so much more time consuming to write "my son" than "DS"? Just type what you mean people, it's only a few more characters.
2. What is the strikethrough all about?? Every other message seems to include a sentence or two that the poster has inexplicably chosen to apply strikethrough to. Can anyone explain why? Do people really find it witty?

bear

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Tue 15-Jan-13 23:12:45

1. It's pretty standard internet lingo
2. Yup and stop picking fights, it's not nice

okay

first of all the acronyms are not MN-only, heaps were in use way before MN came into being, they have been adopted across the net; most folk use them easily, some users prefer to type my son, my daughter etc. Shrug.

the strikethrough can be deployed to hilarious ends not always successfully unfort

HTH

Right! I'm fed up now of seeing that around

How do you make the bears appear?!

I have been he coming up to a year and I am yet to learn

usualsuspect Tue 15-Jan-13 23:16:09

DILLIGAF.

KenDoddsDadsDog Tue 15-Jan-13 23:17:28

bear

Valpollicella Tue 15-Jan-13 23:18:05

bear secret bear code bear SP nods sagely

goes to check on DS

KenDoddsDadsDog Tue 15-Jan-13 23:18:11

Brackets and bear

HollaAtMeBaby Tue 15-Jan-13 23:18:12

[ bear ] without the spaces makes bear

knock yourself out grin

KenDoddsDadsDog Tue 15-Jan-13 23:18:36

Shit, will I be excommunicated

usualsuspect Tue 15-Jan-13 23:18:44

Also, please don't start goady threads when I'm about to go to bed.

FOIYDLI

Just sayin'

GetOrf Tue 15-Jan-13 23:19:26

You do the brackets like you do with any other emoticons, with bear in.

Op the strikethrough came about as a result of a thread where people were chatting to tech, he made a smartasrsed comment with a strikethrough, and then unleashed hell as 396 mners then begged him to allow any poster to do the same. Anyway, other people find it funny, not all. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong. Peace and love.

DoubleYew Tue 15-Jan-13 23:20:03

This has been done a lot.

1. Ds etc is not just a MN thing, used all over the internet. But lots of people on here are typing while breastfeeding or under a sleeping baby so every keystroke matters, sometimes. I think the 'darling' bit is also slightly ironic as its a place to be honest about how you might not be loving your child / mother right now. Some posters refuse to conform and use 'miniPicnic' or some such derivative of their name, which I find more confusing.

You can't really just order people to do what you want you know. Ds means my son. Do you type ok instead of okay or etc instead on et cetera?

2. Strikethrough is like an aside, something you don't say out loud but might secretly be wanting to say. Some people can't really work out how to use it correctly. Some people hate it and don't find it witty.

HTH

bran Tue 15-Jan-13 23:20:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 15-Jan-13 23:20:38

bear

[bear in]

GetOrf Tue 15-Jan-13 23:21:01

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

SPsFanjo - you have been here longer than a year surely?

bear bear bear

Acksherly, I now have deja vu that this was mentioned on another thread recently, no?

Valpollicella Tue 15-Jan-13 23:21:11

That's very zen of you GetOrf

You ok? ::head tilt::

checks getorf's temperature

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 15-Jan-13 23:21:11

Well, you learn something new every day or so they tell me.

ah CRAP

I always thought the D stood for Dastardly. Or Damned. Or Disorientated.

actually I didn't but wanted to be able to use the strikeout

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now