NOW CLOSED: Please take a very quick survey on what can be done about childcare costs

(54 Posts)
RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 15-Jan-13 16:37:15

Hello

As many of you will know, the Coalition is in the throes of discussing policies to address the thorny issue of childcare costs (see also discussion on this thread).

Justine is going to be speaking at an event hosted by the Resolution Foundation this Thursday, discussing what can be done - and at what price.

So we'd love all MNers with children to take this honestly, truly super-quick four-question survey (and two of the questions are about your children's ages and where you live grin) so that we can try to get a sense of what solutions MNers would like to see.

thanks
MNHQ

ASmidgeofMidge Tue 15-Jan-13 16:40:54

Tis done

WheresMyCow Tue 15-Jan-13 16:41:03

Done, but clicked complete before filling in my email address blush

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 15-Jan-13 16:41:52

WheresMyCow

Done, but clicked complete before filling in my email address blush

Oop - if you mail contactus@mumsnet.com we'll try to get you entered into the draw

KatyPeril Tue 15-Jan-13 16:50:39

Done. Hope something gets done before I'm sectioned again.

WheresMyCow Tue 15-Jan-13 16:57:37

Thanks Rowan, will do smile

bigkidsdidit Tue 15-Jan-13 17:05:52

Done

Done

Isitme1 Tue 15-Jan-13 17:11:20

Done

MiconiumHappens Tue 15-Jan-13 17:30:33

Done

gizmo Tue 15-Jan-13 17:34:34

PW, I hold you personally responsible for the fact that I have just read at least 4 Telegraph readers' comments. My eyessssssss!!!

Bicnod Tue 15-Jan-13 17:35:30

Done

Tee2072 Tue 15-Jan-13 17:41:37

Free childcare for all!!!! Viva La Revolution!!

::fist in the air::

Or, um...done.

MsPickle Tue 15-Jan-13 18:27:24

^This!

3ofeach Tue 15-Jan-13 18:31:31

done
free childcare for all - what a lovely thought.

chewingguminmyhair Tue 15-Jan-13 18:38:08

Would be nice as hopeful parents to be to have a say. I think the daunting cost of childcare puts people off having DC.

Iggly Tue 15-Jan-13 18:47:30

Done.

I said subsidised childcare funded by taxation. So parents contribute some but not all.

Childcare is ridiculously expensive - highest in Europe if I'm correct? It's a joke.

Employers also need to be more flexible eg let us have some days 9-5 and other days the same as school hours for example. More home working so we can get to our children by 3/4pm. It can't be good for children to be away from home for such long stretches every day of the week.

AmandinePoulain Tue 15-Jan-13 19:04:40

Done.

I personally would like to see the free childcare for 3 year olds offered in the same way across the UK - at present in Wales it's generally provided by schools. When dd1 turned 3 in February 2011 there were no places in the 3 local schools until the following September, and there was no flexibility with the hours, or any way to top it up. I prefer the English system, where we could have knocked 15 hours off our nursery bill as soon as she turned 3.

Done grin

jellybeans Tue 15-Jan-13 19:16:01

It would be a tall order to pay grandparents etc for childcare yet no help to stay home parents. I would say more support for stay home parents or increase CB to allow parents to offset a parent at home or towards nursery fees. That way there is free choice and not the government trying to force all families to be dual income full time. Some parents prefer a parent at home or to work around each others hours for example.

TheDarkSideOfTheSpoon Tue 15-Jan-13 19:18:37

Done smile

BlueberryHill Tue 15-Jan-13 19:47:04

Done, in your question about childrens ages, there is no where to indicate if you have multiples, so it looks like I have but 2 but it is three. Plus just to add multiples being in childcare is horrifically expensive, most people have gaps so don't have to pay for two children full time for that long before 15 hours kicks in at 3. If I had gone back to work I would have been working for a car allowance, paying tax and childcare for two+ years.

Done

Crazycake Tue 15-Jan-13 20:01:53

Done

tubsmum Tue 15-Jan-13 20:02:44

done

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now