Best sites for parents, kids and education - what do you think?

(37 Posts)
JaneGMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 14-Jan-13 10:08:03

Hi all,

We've been asked to recommend the best websites for parents, kids and education that everyone should know about.

They could be blogs, useful sites, homework sites, sites for fun, sites for children and sites for adults.

Which are your recommendations? Apart from Mumsnet, naturally smile

We'd really value your help.

Thanks very much,

MNHQ

Portofino Wed 16-Jan-13 21:14:23

Jump Magazine is fab for pre-teens/tweenagers. It has inspired my dd (8) to start her own blog.

MmeLindor Wed 16-Jan-13 14:07:13

KidsBlogClub is great - for kids who would like to blog, or those who like to read blogs.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 16-Jan-13 10:22:20

Thanks for all of these suggestions. Great stuff!

leddeeburdee Wed 16-Jan-13 09:41:25

From a recommendation on here I subscribed to www.educationcity.com. I've been subscribing for about 5 months now and DS (5) and DD (4) still really enjoy playing on it. They enjoy the CBeebies site as well.

Belo Tue 15-Jan-13 22:34:08

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/page/default.asp?title=Woodlands Junior School&pid=1

They have maths games (really helped my DDs with their number bonds) and a good selection of teaching resources which we've used for project work.

treacletart Tue 15-Jan-13 22:03:50

poissonrouge.com, cbeebies, cbbc, readingeggs, show.me.uk, culture24, minecraft(!)

bealos Tue 15-Jan-13 21:56:41

CBBC Games is ds(7)'s go to site.

alreadytaken Tue 15-Jan-13 20:01:25

Revision site for OCR or AQA chemistry www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/OCR%20Chemistry%20A/OCR%20Chemistry%20A%20home.html

for younger ones (and perhaps adults) drawing site www.picassohead.com/

as for mumsnet - give it a makeover here www.bored.com/destroysites/go.php

wanabeYummyMummy Tue 15-Jan-13 19:31:02

kidslocal.co.uk -great site

thekitchenfairy Tue 15-Jan-13 19:06:11

CBBC Bitesize is great for homework help and games that don't take ages to load.

PurpleMash is an education portal our school have bought into, loads of good stuff, my boys 6 and 9 lov it.

SumDog is absolutely brilliant, maths games, memory games etc, v good for times tables and getting to grips with the basics in a fun way.

MN, natch grin.

Couldn't live without Wikipedia for homework help.

cq Tue 15-Jan-13 15:50:41

My kids use linguascope.com for language revision, they find it very easy to use, interactive and they get 'marked' on their tests. Think you may need to use a school password to log on.

Also not sure what the scope of your investigation is, but when moving house I found the Good Schools Guide website invaluable for advice and information about schools.

millie0210 Tue 15-Jan-13 14:21:27

I wish the internet had been around when we were young. But in the `old days` I suppose mothers had to help each other and give each other advice.

AcornToOak Tue 15-Jan-13 13:14:34

My ds6 loves the cool maths websites, and i love the fact he is learning without knowing it grin

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 15-Jan-13 13:07:01

Poissonrouge for preschoolers upwards.

EwanHoozami Tue 15-Jan-13 08:47:00

3yo DS likes The Mouse Club for educational games

Day Out With The Kids is comprehensive, current and really easy to navigate

The Crazy Kitchen is a great blog for cooking with and for kids

ripsishere Tue 15-Jan-13 06:40:02

Khan academy is brilliant.

Anni37 Mon 14-Jan-13 23:07:57

www.kidslocal.co.uk - I love the fact that it's just for second-hand kids stuff, and the 'local' aspect is great - it means you don't need to trawl through endless ads. I've sold a few bits on there and find them so much better than gumtree or ebay.

blondieminx Mon 14-Jan-13 22:47:42

I love the imagination tree.

Ex-teacher with 3 kids with genius messy play ideas for preschoolers and babies. smile

piprabbit Mon 14-Jan-13 22:39:16

www.show.me.uk is a brilliant way of accessing games from museums around the UK, whatever their age and interest (or school project) you'll find something to look at. DD (8yo) loves breeding new creatures on Thingdom (basic genetics) and my personal favourite is the Snowflake maker.

the fungooms and samorost for intuitive games (ds, 5)

trice Mon 14-Jan-13 22:26:28

Khan academy is excellent.

grumpyoldbookworm Mon 14-Jan-13 21:54:29

Www.thestudentroom.co.uk. Www.UCAS.com.
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk. Guess what stage my DSs are at?

BumpingFuglies Mon 14-Jan-13 18:38:51

Another vote for Cbeebies DSS2 (just 5) really enjoys the games and gets the hang of them really quick.

Tee2072 Mon 14-Jan-13 14:58:56

There are other websites?

Seriously, it's trite but true that my preschooler loves CBeeBies and is actually learning things from playing their games.

iseenodust Mon 14-Jan-13 14:26:28

Great for homework help kids.nationalgeographic.co.uk/kids/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now