Best sites for parents, kids and education - what do you think?

(37 Posts)
JaneGMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 14-Jan-13 10:08:03

Hi all,

We've been asked to recommend the best websites for parents, kids and education that everyone should know about.

They could be blogs, useful sites, homework sites, sites for fun, sites for children and sites for adults.

Which are your recommendations? Apart from Mumsnet, naturally smile

We'd really value your help.

Thanks very much,

MNHQ

millie0210 Tue 15-Jan-13 14:21:27

I wish the internet had been around when we were young. But in the `old days` I suppose mothers had to help each other and give each other advice.

cq Tue 15-Jan-13 15:50:41

My kids use linguascope.com for language revision, they find it very easy to use, interactive and they get 'marked' on their tests. Think you may need to use a school password to log on.

Also not sure what the scope of your investigation is, but when moving house I found the Good Schools Guide website invaluable for advice and information about schools.

CBBC Bitesize is great for homework help and games that don't take ages to load.

PurpleMash is an education portal our school have bought into, loads of good stuff, my boys 6 and 9 lov it.

SumDog is absolutely brilliant, maths games, memory games etc, v good for times tables and getting to grips with the basics in a fun way.

MN, natch grin.

Couldn't live without Wikipedia for homework help.

wanabeYummyMummy Tue 15-Jan-13 19:31:02

kidslocal.co.uk -great site

alreadytaken Tue 15-Jan-13 20:01:25

Revision site for OCR or AQA chemistry www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/OCR%20Chemistry%20A/OCR%20Chemistry%20A%20home.html

for younger ones (and perhaps adults) drawing site www.picassohead.com/

as for mumsnet - give it a makeover here www.bored.com/destroysites/go.php

bealos Tue 15-Jan-13 21:56:41

CBBC Games is ds(7)'s go to site.

treacletart Tue 15-Jan-13 22:03:50

poissonrouge.com, cbeebies, cbbc, readingeggs, show.me.uk, culture24, minecraft(!)

Belo Tue 15-Jan-13 22:34:08

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/page/default.asp?title=Woodlands Junior School&pid=1

They have maths games (really helped my DDs with their number bonds) and a good selection of teaching resources which we've used for project work.

leddeeburdee Wed 16-Jan-13 09:41:25

From a recommendation on here I subscribed to www.educationcity.com. I've been subscribing for about 5 months now and DS (5) and DD (4) still really enjoy playing on it. They enjoy the CBeebies site as well.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 16-Jan-13 10:22:20

Thanks for all of these suggestions. Great stuff!

MmeLindor Wed 16-Jan-13 14:07:13

KidsBlogClub is great - for kids who would like to blog, or those who like to read blogs.

Portofino Wed 16-Jan-13 21:14:23

Jump Magazine is fab for pre-teens/tweenagers. It has inspired my dd (8) to start her own blog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now