Best sites for parents, kids and education - what do you think?

(37 Posts)
JaneGMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 14-Jan-13 10:08:03

Hi all,

We've been asked to recommend the best websites for parents, kids and education that everyone should know about.

They could be blogs, useful sites, homework sites, sites for fun, sites for children and sites for adults.

Which are your recommendations? Apart from Mumsnet, naturally smile

We'd really value your help.

Thanks very much,

MNHQ

My lot really like Friv.

Lots of games to choose from there.

Piterest and Houzz are my go to site.
Mumsnet?

Never heard of it,

Pinterest!

Piterest is quite a niche site for miners. Obvis.

AmandinePoulain Mon 14-Jan-13 11:37:10

Reading Eggs really helped dd1 with her phonics smile

piprabbit Mon 14-Jan-13 11:54:34

www.parentchannel.tv - video clips and advice on parenting issues from 5-19yo.
www.wordsforlife.org.uk/ - advice to parents on developing children communication and literacy skills
www.ican.org.uk/ - charity helping children communicate
www.essexmums.org/ - brilliant local portal for parents in Essex, probably explains why MN Local for Essex isn't very well used.
BBC website are all generally fantastic, the parenting stuff is very good, CBBC and CBeebies sites are both excellent and Bitesize etc. are also great.
Every community should have a local parents forum like this www.billericayparents.com

I may be back with more grin

Yes, I second Reading Eggs. It was a great start for DS1, who went quickly from having little interest in letters, to being thrilled with the idea of learning to read.

nightcap Mon 14-Jan-13 12:59:16

The British Museum's Young Explorers site - lots of recipes for kids and other stuff to make as well as guides to lots of stuff at the Museum: http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/young_explorers1.aspx

nightcap Mon 14-Jan-13 13:01:06

oops, bad linkage, i meant: Young Explorers

alreadytaken Mon 14-Jan-13 13:04:55

The student room for older children www.thestudentroom.co.uk/
The Khan academy https://www.khanacademy.org/ for revision/ study help
BBC bitesize www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/
I'll ask the experts later

iseenodust Mon 14-Jan-13 14:21:06

For maths mangahigh. You can play the free games or there is a subscription option for a tailored programme. Some schools use it. (No vested interest.)

strandednomore Mon 14-Jan-13 14:22:03

My 7 yr old daughter showed me a site about physics stuff that children can try out yesterday but I can't remember what it was called. Let me have a look in the history and see if I can find it. Anything that gets girls into science has to be a good thing...

strandednomore Mon 14-Jan-13 14:23:57

here we go - marvin and milo - www.physics.org/marvinandmilo.asp?id=77

iseenodust Mon 14-Jan-13 14:26:28

Great for homework help kids.nationalgeographic.co.uk/kids/

Tee2072 Mon 14-Jan-13 14:58:56

There are other websites?

Seriously, it's trite but true that my preschooler loves CBeeBies and is actually learning things from playing their games.

BumpingFuglies Mon 14-Jan-13 18:38:51

Another vote for Cbeebies DSS2 (just 5) really enjoys the games and gets the hang of them really quick.

grumpyoldbookworm Mon 14-Jan-13 21:54:29

Www.thestudentroom.co.uk. Www.UCAS.com.
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk. Guess what stage my DSs are at?

trice Mon 14-Jan-13 22:26:28

Khan academy is excellent.

the fungooms and samorost for intuitive games (ds, 5)

piprabbit Mon 14-Jan-13 22:39:16

www.show.me.uk is a brilliant way of accessing games from museums around the UK, whatever their age and interest (or school project) you'll find something to look at. DD (8yo) loves breeding new creatures on Thingdom (basic genetics) and my personal favourite is the Snowflake maker.

blondieminx Mon 14-Jan-13 22:47:42

I love the imagination tree.

Ex-teacher with 3 kids with genius messy play ideas for preschoolers and babies. smile

Anni37 Mon 14-Jan-13 23:07:57

www.kidslocal.co.uk - I love the fact that it's just for second-hand kids stuff, and the 'local' aspect is great - it means you don't need to trawl through endless ads. I've sold a few bits on there and find them so much better than gumtree or ebay.

ripsishere Tue 15-Jan-13 06:40:02

Khan academy is brilliant.

EwanHoozami Tue 15-Jan-13 08:47:00

3yo DS likes The Mouse Club for educational games

Day Out With The Kids is comprehensive, current and really easy to navigate

The Crazy Kitchen is a great blog for cooking with and for kids

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 15-Jan-13 13:07:01

Poissonrouge for preschoolers upwards.

AcornToOak Tue 15-Jan-13 13:14:34

My ds6 loves the cool maths websites, and i love the fact he is learning without knowing it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now