Sorry, sorry, sorry. HIDE POSTER button again.

(361 Posts)
IamtheZombie Thu 03-Jan-13 17:21:06

Zombie is old. Zombie is grumpy. She freely admits to those.

Zombie also has one tit left and there are a few posters who are really, really getting on it.

It's getting to the point that she's about ready to take an extended MN holiday just for the sake of her blood pressure and her sanity.

Please, please may we have a hide poster button?

I don't want a Poo Emoticon or a Hide Poster button but I'm sorry you are exacerbated by idiots and plagued by pillocks, Zombie.

Sparklingbrook Thu 03-Jan-13 19:32:18

I think the poo emoticon would have been handy over the last week or so, and the chestnut. smile

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Thu 03-Jan-13 19:37:06

There is one person I would like to hide.

Have done for about 6 months (maybe more). I actually do hide any threads started by them.

Funnily enough they don't tend to pop up in the posts that I join in on, so hiding them within a post hasn't come up yet.

<soothes Zombie's tit> hope you stick around and don't let the twats bring you down x

slightlysoupstainedbabygrows Thu 03-Jan-13 19:41:41

Daft question, but wouldn't it be possible to write a greasemonkey (or similar) script to hide posts from particular posters?

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Thu 03-Jan-13 19:48:59

slightly is talking in tongues.....confused

wink

Tee2072 Thu 03-Jan-13 19:52:55

Interesting question slightly. Hmmm....

Pinot Thu 03-Jan-13 19:54:01

Ohhhhhhhh please can we have a Hide Poster function? The goading morons have me done in.

Naoko Thu 03-Jan-13 19:57:58

I'm sure that's possible slightly. If I had the skill I'd be right on that, genius idea. Sadly I don't....

There isn't anyone on MN who annoys me sufficiently that I'd hide them, but I'd love to have the option in case of future need. I've been on plenty of online forums and communities with a hide button and it's always been universally enjoyed as good for sanity, bloodpressure and general peace of mind.

Chubfuddler Thu 03-Jan-13 19:59:21

If some posters are really that objectionable surely their posts breach talk guidelines? Just report the posts.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Thu 03-Jan-13 20:00:16

I don't think you can report somebody for being an ignorant nob-head though sad

AfterEightMintyy Thu 03-Jan-13 20:02:58

Ahem!

If people would actually post their ridiculous threads about breast v bottle, Christmas in August etc in the correct bloody topics, then it would be possible to hide them and avoid annoyance and calm the old blood pressure.

But, no, everything gets posted in Aibu. And anyone who objects is told they are "thread police" and what does it matter?

Chubfuddler Thu 03-Jan-13 20:03:03

I always get paranoid it's me everyone wants to hide, and one day hq will introduce the button and I will be all alone....

Hide the whole thread. I do it a lot now.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Thu 03-Jan-13 20:06:29

Chub me too - am now uber paranoid grin

I have just found, at the bottom of Active Convos there is a 'Manage Hidden Posts' option.

I clicked on it and there are all the threads I've ever hidden, in all their glory.

140 PAGES of hidden posts!!!!!!!!! shock

That is how much certain things/subjects/people get on my tits!

Chubfuddler Thu 03-Jan-13 20:10:14

Put it this way, if I find a thread started by one of the people I consider to be a total tit I just hide it. I used to wade in, I cannot be arsed now.

Sparklingbrook Thu 03-Jan-13 20:13:20

That's my New Year's resolution on here Chub. I don't really do wading in but I don't think I will even comment now.

I think it's a good idea. I wouldn't use it myself because I love reading the bunfight threads prefer knowing what everybody is saying but I've seen it used on other forums effectively. If it helps some people participate in discussions without becoming riled then great.

It has some downsides -

- it's harder to follow conversations
- if enough people hide a certain poster their posts are less likely to be challenged or reported
- if somebody quotes the poster you've hidden it's fairly pointless.

It would be an optional extra though - nobody would have to use it so I can't see it creating problems.

IamtheZombie Thu 03-Jan-13 21:04:44

I have well over half of the forums on here hidden already just so things that are of no relevance or particular interest to me pop up in Active Convos.

If a see that one of the posters who gets on my tit is the OP of a thread (thank you HQ for that option) I can hide it without looking at it. But recently there are a few (very few) posters who are really spoiling my MN experience with their attitudes and arrogance and are popping up all over the place.

I appreciate the argument that hiding a poster can leave gaps in a thread. But, I have used forums where this option is available and one learns to live with that when one chooses to use it.

I am now reluctant to post in case one of my bugbears replies. The temptation to tell them to stick their head even further up their arse might prove too much. I've had enough shit in my life for the past 18 months. I don't want to add falling out with MN to that. There have been times when MN has been my only lifeline. Things aren't that bad right now, but the one thing I have learned is that there is always something else that can go wrong and I don't want to lose this place.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Thu 03-Jan-13 21:26:35

No, I totally understand where you are coming from Zombie.

I mentioned the other day that even the most un-bun-fighty thread keeps ending up with one or two posters turning up and being nob-heads.

It spoils it.

I only use this place for a bit of light relief, which can probably get annoying for those who are more serious, but i do try and stick to the lighthearted threads - that is hard when you find yourself sucked in to having to defend somebody (or yourself) who has said something innocent and somebody else has come along and taken it out of context/not understood or is just intent on being an utter twunt.

I am back to work on Monday, so I will be back to my few-times-a-week habit, instead of my few-times-an-hour habit I have developed this past few days grin. This should help me filter out most of the morons, hopefully!

HotheadPaisan Thu 03-Jan-13 21:34:20

There is a greasemonkey script, it works.

IamtheZombie Thu 03-Jan-13 21:38:05

Hothead, could you please explain in words of one syllable just what a "greasemonkey script" is and how one uses it?

Tee2072 Thu 03-Jan-13 21:39:43

What's the script called?

ZebraInHiding Thu 03-Jan-13 21:48:12

And how do we get the script? smile

WifeofPie Thu 03-Jan-13 21:50:49

Ohhhh! <squeals>. A kitten emoticon! <easily distracted>.

I don't see how the 'hide poster' button would work, OP? I think it would get messy. Maybe take a break for a few days? Cool your jets and come back? It's easy to get tunnel vision when you've been spending too much a considerable amount of time here. If it's getting you down, a virtual mini-break is a good idea. Pref. somewhere sunny smile.

skullcandy Thu 03-Jan-13 21:51:46

the thing is, those of you who dont want a hide poster button DONT HAVE TO USE IT

[shockhorror] shock ::cue dramatic DUNDUNDUUUUUUN music:: shockshock

but if there WAS ONE then those of us who do want to hide the fuckwits that make us want to yell and stamp and throw things at them can be hidden quietly and their existence ignored.

TheSecondComing Thu 03-Jan-13 21:53:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now