I've lost the floaty bar thing.

(165 Posts)
RandallPinkFloyd Tue 04-Dec-12 21:35:23

What have I done with it confused

Ponders Wed 05-Dec-12 14:34:05

I'm still missing the floaty bar sad

LittleTownofBethleHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Dec-12 14:39:12

Hello. And sorry for not posting about this earlier.

The Viewport bar thing has been taken down, we're afraid.

We had SO much mail about how much it annoyed people...

please don't all mail in and say how much you're annoyed that it's gone

Lougle Wed 05-Dec-12 14:43:02

Oh dear! I didn't want it gone, I wanted it fixed grin

Could you add an extra line above the 'Start a new thread in this topic| Watch this thread| Flip this thread| Hide this thread| Refresh this thread' which has 'Threads: Active | I'm on | I'm watching | I started | Last 15 minutes | Last hour | Last Day'? That way, when you get to the bottom of a thread, you can just click, instead of having to scroll right up again.

It's particularly annoying for posters like me who don't used paged viewing, and can have 900 posts to scroll through to get back to the top.

KvetnutsRoastingOnAnOpenFire Wed 05-Dec-12 14:46:12

oh no! it was great! can it not be an option in classic view or something?

LittleTownofBethleHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Dec-12 14:50:29

KvetnutsRoastingOnAnOpenFire

oh no! it was great! can it not be an option in classic view or something?

What specifically did you use it for, Kvetnuts?

OatyBeatie Wed 05-Dec-12 14:55:43

I found it vv useful too.

RandallPinkFloyd Wed 05-Dec-12 14:56:10

oh sad

Why would mail in all pissed off when you could just hide it if you didn't like it? confused

Oh well, thank you for replying Helen.

KvetnutsRoastingOnAnOpenFire Wed 05-Dec-12 15:00:36

not having to scroll to the top all the time, mainly! and navigating back to threads i'm on without having to go to the top of the page.

I liked it sad

LittleTownofBethleHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Dec-12 15:23:38

KvetnutsRoastingOnAnOpenFire

not having to scroll to the top all the time, mainly! and navigating back to threads i'm on without having to go to the top of the page.

I liked it sad

Ok, we'll look at what we can do to make that easier in another way.

Lougle Wed 05-Dec-12 15:24:23

I use firefox and use tabbed browsing a lot. I like to be able to have various threads open and flick between them, mostly reading, sometimes posting. When you have the threads set out so that all posts are on one page, you can have to scroll up for several seconds to get to the top of the page.

With the viewport bar (when it was working correctly) I could be at any point in a thread, then open a new tab to check 'I'm on' or 'Active', etc. It also meant that I didn't have to 'lose my place' in the thread (I know there are bookmarks, but I'd use those if I actually intended to leave the thread, a la 'closing a book', rather than flicking between threads, a la looking up from a book to the TV and back again...)

I miss it, but would be fine if you just added those options that came with the viewpoint bar above the 'start new thread' bar at the bottom of each thread (before the 'add your message here' text box).

bradyismyfavouritewiseman Wed 05-Dec-12 15:47:03

NNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I loved that bar and that i could quickly click to threads I am on or active threads, if I was at the bottom of a thread.

I don't mind admitting I am a little bit gutted LittleTownofBethleHelenMumsnet

LittleTownofBethleHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Dec-12 15:49:50

bradyismyfavouritewiseman

NNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I loved that bar and that i could quickly click to threads I am on or active threads, if I was at the bottom of a thread.

I don't mind admitting I am a little bit gutted LittleTownofBethleHelenMumsnet

Panic not. We will find a solution.

EG: how about thread I'm on etc being at bottom of a thread, too?

OatyBeatie Wed 05-Dec-12 15:52:26

I don't usually get to the bottom. I just scroll down a little way and then decide to graze in a different field, so it is nice when the bar follows me about like an assiduous footman.

WankbadgersBauble Wed 05-Dec-12 16:09:44

WHAT? NO FLOATY BAR?! can't you make it opt out? FFS, it was the most GENIUS thing! <really, really pissed off emoticon>

RandallPinkFloyd Wed 05-Dec-12 16:09:50

What Oaty said ^^ grin

marquesas Wed 05-Dec-12 16:10:12

I used it loads too, I don't have a home button either (I need the num lock on all the time for work) and its really annoying to have to scroll around all the time.

Are the haters all using the mobile site/app - I can't see why anyone on a PC would hate it.

VicarInaTutuDrankSantasSherry Wed 05-Dec-12 16:14:41

who the actual would take the time to email in and say they didnt like it??? just dont use it if you dont like it!

but i liked it. i used it. SNOT FAIR!

lubeybooby Wed 05-Dec-12 16:18:28

Whhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaat?

But it already was 'opt out' gahhhhh

If you had that much mail can you make it opt in, instead?

I wanna opt in!! I LOVED it!

RandallPinkFloyd Wed 05-Dec-12 16:19:23

It's not on the mobile site or apps, just the main site.

What is it with people and change?

A new thing? oh now, I don't want that
Ok, you can opt out if you like
NO! that's not good enough, I will still be haunted by it, begone terrible new thing!

It even had a little 'x' at the side to get rid of it for when you weren't signed in for crying out loud.

Oh well, it's not important enough to moan to HQ about. They can't win either way!

WankbadgersBauble Wed 05-Dec-12 16:34:15

It totally is worth whinging to mnhq! I will throw out my judgy pants and buy special whinging ones, if I must!

KvetnutsRoastingOnAnOpenFire Wed 05-Dec-12 16:35:56

what oaty said too!

RandallPinkFloyd Wed 05-Dec-12 16:54:14

Aww, I just feel a bit bad for them.

I mean they've created this awesome site that we all use far too much, they work really hard and try and listen to everyone and yet all they get is bloody complaints.

I mean seriously how many whingey threads are there on here every bloody day? You just can't please this many people all the time.

They're always so patient when they answer but dear God they must feel like banging their heads against a wall!

They are more than accommodating when people gripe about things and always try and be fair but who's site is it exactly?

TigerFeet Wed 05-Dec-12 16:59:44

New thing shock SIOB. I hate change. Make it go away.

Oh. It's still there. <shrug>

Well I suppose, seeing as how it's there, I might as well make use of it.

Hmm. I suppose it's quite handy actually.

Oooh! This IS rather lovely isn't it!

YOU'VE TAKEN IT AWAY sad

I WANT MY FLOATY THING BACK angry

^^ that's me, that is

Lougle Wed 05-Dec-12 17:03:50

I admit I wasn't keen on the fat icons for FB/twitter, etc., but functionally I loved it (the bits that worked).

AmazingBouncingBabyJesus Wed 05-Dec-12 17:04:10

shock

sad

I want it back!

I hardly ever read all the way to the bottom. I have a short attention span.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now