'Appy days - Android, iPhone and iPad apps released

(286 Posts)
RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 29-Nov-12 13:51:38

Following on from the news of the release of our shiny new Android app, we are vair pleased to announce the release of the new and improved iPhone and iPad app.

All of our Talk apps are free to download and you can find lots more info on all things mobile here including an easy to scan and download QR code to get the mobile version on your phone.

Please do take a look and come back and tell us what you think.

<Gets DarrenMumsnet a cold flannel and a gin>

BitBewilderedChristmasTree Mon 03-Dec-12 09:04:53

I have defected to the mobile site. Where emoticons are not cute, but are expressive, and <pointy brackets don't vanish>!

grin

BadFather Mon 03-Dec-12 12:40:31

I've had one crash scrolling to the bottom of this particular thread on iPad but not on the others. I am on the latest offering from Apple though so perhaps it puts up with more!

I am also seeing the <arrow> < arrow > issue.

Hoping they get fixed soon as it's great to have this on my iPad!

From down here in Australia, on HTC android, it's pretty good. I've got no beef with it, except it does randomly chuck me off- although it seems to be if I'm asking it to do too much at once, so it might just be my phone.
I wouldn't want to try typing a long response though; the typing window only shows 2 lines.
But whatever, the text is big, I don't have to hunt my specs to read it.

ClairesTravellingCircus Mon 03-Dec-12 19:11:45

I can't see the xmas emoticons on the app
confusedconfused

Starshaped Mon 03-Dec-12 19:47:49

Wish I'd never bloody updated the iPhone app - it's crap <wails>. It throws me out everytime I try and open any thread.

Is it possible to get the old one back?!

Biscuitsandtinsel Mon 03-Dec-12 19:48:27

Oooh I've mentioned pretty about things I don't like (sorry blush) so only fair that I mention that I do like the fact that you can now access PMs from the app. I don't think we could before (or at least I couldn't!) so that's good smile

Really no good without most active. How are we supposed to know when a thread is kicking off?? Read them all!? Emoticons, meh.

Ps, this whinge in relation to iPhone app. Ta.

MyThumbsAreMincepieSmeared Mon 03-Dec-12 21:29:30

I need to have my posts and the OP posts in a different colour. Will stick to the mobile site for now. Well done for making the thread titles readable though.

BabylonElf Mon 03-Dec-12 21:55:47

Still on mobile site here as both iPhone and iPad crash whenever I try to open a thread sad

Just want the old app back.

GreenyEyes Tue 04-Dec-12 06:48:38

Just can't use I'm afraid, crashes almost immediately on my iPhone

Jux Tue 04-Dec-12 13:40:20

IPad: Deleted and reinstalled. Doesn't seem to crash but as there's still no box to post I don't stay on it long.

BuddhaBellyXmasBaubles Tue 04-Dec-12 15:33:30

My most regular thread I post on just crashes the whole app when I open it but let's me open and post in the other two???? Not happy, would love the old app back too hmmangry

AmandinePoulain Tue 04-Dec-12 16:36:24

At the moment 'threads I'm on' only has one thread in it. Sometimes when I refresh the same thread appears 3 times - first it was twice, now thrice confused (<- is that confused? I'm not sure, it looks like a pumpkin to me grin)

Biscuitsandtinsel Tue 04-Dec-12 21:49:58

Whilst you're fixing these other minor (ahem) issues is there any chance you could magic in a feature to be able to link to pages in a post? You know like 'have you seen this thread' sort of thing so you can link from one thread to another?

AmandinePoulain Wed 05-Dec-12 09:49:38

I now have the same 3 threads I'm on each listed 10 times hmm

Jux Fri 07-Dec-12 01:10:47

Amandine, I only just saw your post telling me where the add message boxwas fblush], thanks I'll look now and feel terribly embarrassed that it was there all the time.

Jux Fri 07-Dec-12 01:15:20

OK, I'm terribly embarrassed now. Though scrolling down this thread, it did chuck me off.

Here's how embarrassed I am:

blushblushblushblushblushblush

exactly that much! (those emoticons had better work!)

Jux Fri 07-Dec-12 03:09:56

Interestingly, those emoticons (which I typed in, as if I were using Safari) don't show up at all in the App, though I know they're there as I can see them when I use Safari. Using iPad, btw.

I'm not sure which one is the embarrassed one, so I'm going to do them all, and you can choose which one you think most appropriate!

smilegrinwinkshockhmmconfusedblushangrysadenvybiscuitwinebrewthanks

I do quite like these emoticons, actually. Though we should have festive ones too....

When I didn't have the thread flipped, ie, newest post at the top, the App didn't crash when I scrolled down to the beginning.

The advanced search function is much much much better. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Yes, I miss Most Active, too.

Can I turn the sidebar off if I want to?

Biscuitsandtinsel Fri 07-Dec-12 06:46:35

When I search for a post by someone the date filters keep changing from what I set them to. So say I change the 'to' date, then the 'from' date, then when I look back, the 'to' date has changed to the same date as the 'from' date, and often the 'from' date changes the year that I set it to (so if I said 1/1/12, when I go back to the search screen it's saying 1/1/11)?

Overall though the search feature looks easier to use and I like the option to select topics. Just that the dates seem to have a bug.

And emoticons, I just can't get used to the different ones. I like the raised eyebrow hmm one, not this frowny one. A raised eyebrow hmm is a lot more lighthearted than a frowning hmm which seems more suspicious - I know this sounds like a teeny thing but when writing things on the Internet it is so easy to lose the context and offend someone (like writing an email etc) and that frowny hmm just seems harsher than the raised eyebrow.

In any event I think the emoticons should be the same on the website and app so the post says the same thing. It doesn't work if they look different and could change the sentiment of a post depending on where you're reading it.

DarrenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 07-Dec-12 10:33:19

<testing 123>

Jux Sat 08-Dec-12 11:58:12

I still can't choose topics beyond mumsnet local in the search function. Can I make a plea for when you're looking at topic choice in search? Can you have MN local as a heading with a further drop down menu with all the different locals in it? There are soooooooo many to scroll through when you don't want one.

I know it's a lot to ask, but I do have cake and will be making pastry this w/e so you could put your order in now as I haven't decided exactly what I'll be using all of it for ..........grin

Thank you.

Biscuitsandtinsel Mon 10-Dec-12 09:03:18

This pointy > bracket problem seems to now only delete some of the words?

I'll test it:

<one>

<one two>

<one two three>

<one two three four>

<one two three four five>

<one two three four five six>

<one two three four five six seven>

<one two three four five six seven eight>

<one two three four five six seven eight nine>

<one two three four five six seven eight nine ten>

Biscuitsandtinsel Mon 10-Dec-12 09:04:26

Oh well that didn't work!

Still, there are posts I've seen where when I read it on safari and there's a sentence in pointy brackets and then on the app I get a gap, the last few words and a >

JambalayaWarmMincePie Mon 10-Dec-12 13:11:47

I've just been booted off 17 times in a row. I'm trying to read the 'do you know anyone who's been on Jeremy Kyle' thread and it crashes every time I try to open it. I need to know the answer! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now