Remembrance Sunday

(12 Posts)
SugarPasteSnowflake Sun 11-Nov-12 12:58:22

Apologies if this has already been mentioned (have had a look and can't see a thread for this) but is there a reason why there is no poppy symbol on the site at the moment?

I thoughts logo had a poopy last week. Was I imagining it?

Poppy sorry blush

SugarPasteSnowflake Sun 11-Nov-12 13:41:19

Glaikit grin
I haven't seen one although I normally use the mobile site, so appreciate that I might've missed it. If there was one it seems odd that its not here on remembrance day itself.

Viperidae Sun 11-Nov-12 13:55:19

I am quite shocked that in this era of so many servicepeople still making sacrifices, often the ultimate, and highlighting the contributions of all those who have gone before, there are still companies, etc who do not properly acknowledge it.

I had the tv on Channel 4 this morning, fully expecting a break in the programme at 11am and yet there was none. When it is a programme of inane chatter (enjoyable though that normally is) it would be a nice mark of respect to have some small acknowledgement.

Hopeforever Sun 11-Nov-12 13:57:48

There is a huge change in the number of people turning up at the War Memorial here. The village ground to a halt

Would love a Poppy on MN. It's far more important than Halloween!

Actually, it was at work on the intranet not here. Sorry I misremembered.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 11-Nov-12 14:11:18

Hello. And yes, sorry - technical hitch means the logo on the site didn't get its usual Remembrance poppy. Apols - not ideal, we know.

But we do have - and have had all week - poppies on our Twitter account and our Facebook account.

SugarPasteSnowflake Sun 11-Nov-12 16:15:56

Thanks Helen

Flisspaps Sun 11-Nov-12 16:19:12

Viper they've posted on Twitter to say that they had poems at 11am and the studio was 'quiet' - it's not the same as observing the silence though. There's nothing that Tim Lovejoy has to say that couldn't wait a minute or two.

It was the same with that show's forerunner on BBC2 as well - they carried on, no cut away to the Cenotaph or acknowledgement of the silence.

Viperidae Mon 12-Nov-12 00:25:02

Fliss they did indeed have poems. Sean Bean growled his way through a Wildred Owen and an actress, who I recognise but can't remember her name, read Forever England with..............long pauses in..............odd places.............IYKWIM.

I just wish they had highlighted it was the silence. They just said today is remembrance day and here are some famous actors reading poems.

piprabbit Mon 12-Nov-12 00:27:38

Perhaps MN could have gone 'offline' (with an appropriate message) for the two minutes too.

It's not like we aren't all used to MN disappearing occassionally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now