So, what do you folks think of the John Lewis Christmas ad then?

(142 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 09-Nov-12 10:16:37

Hello.

Given the amount of, erm, interest the Asda Christmas ad has generated on Mumsnet in the past few days, we thought it would be interesting/fun to find out how you all feel about the John Lewis Christmas ad.

Do tell!

BIWI Fri 09-Nov-12 12:39:32

So - debrief back to John Lewis, Helen:

Some people like it and some people don't

grin

RudolphUcker Fri 09-Nov-12 12:40:18

Are they paying you for this Helen? Can we be paid in chocolate coins?

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Fri 09-Nov-12 12:42:52

Chocolate coins? shock Surely you mean wine?

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 09-Nov-12 12:43:33

BIWI

So - debrief back to John Lewis, Helen:

Some people like it and some people don't

grin

smile

horsebiscuit Fri 09-Nov-12 12:43:39

Like Narked I wondered why the snowman didn't order online. Easiest way to shop when you've got no feet and no visible means of transport.
Maybe the next ad will be based on Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Two Tribes. Then we could see an Asda and a JL shopper going head to head in a boxing ring.

Woozley Fri 09-Nov-12 12:43:54

So cute. Why am I crying about a bloody snowman (again)? Though it would have been kind of better had she whipped out a guitar and starting singing "Can't buy me looove!" at the end. smile

Also the snowman looks like Mr Woozley grin

RudolphUcker Fri 09-Nov-12 12:44:35

You can tell 'em from me, it's not as bad as those creepy fucker elves in the DFS ad.

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Fri 09-Nov-12 12:46:32

I'd be happy to write next years for them, Helen grin

I quite like it (had the sound off, which I gather may have helped).

It's inspired me to be a bit more creative with my snowmen this year, maybe along Calvin & Hobbes style.

squeaver Fri 09-Nov-12 12:55:40

While the snowman is off on his "journey" to to JL, the snowwoman has been to Asda (twice), peeled the spuds, done the sprouts, wrapped the presents, cooked the turkey and washed up. And all she gets for her efforts is a poxy matching hat, scarves 'n' gloves set?

Sorry, but she needs to leave the bastard.

AllYoursBabooshka Fri 09-Nov-12 14:24:20

Well I am blubbing.

I nudged DH and asked him "Why can't you be more like that, hmm?"

He replied "What? A fecking snowman? hmm"

Bastard <sniff>

midnightexpress Fri 09-Nov-12 14:31:37

I don't like it. It creeps me out. I think it's because the snowman 'moves' a bit like The Groke in the old Moomins cartoons, and The Groke is of course the most terrifying creature in all children's literature.

KenLeeeeeee Fri 09-Nov-12 14:32:32

I would love it and think it was very sweet and endearing had I not watched too much bastard Doctor Who and now see fecking 'Weeping Angels' everywhere. Bloody snowmen that move around when you're not watching... just ruined my winter.

Longdistance Fri 09-Nov-12 14:33:36

I thought it was rather good.

Seems there is a small message in there about the homeless at Xmas, as the snowman was seen by a busy bridge, an hiding behind some bins too!

Anyone else get that?

LFCisTarkaDahl Fri 09-Nov-12 14:37:51

Loved it. Made me actually tear up.

Beautiful music, beautiful scenes, perfect recessionista message
- "buy what you need, buy what you love, buy for someone you love". Very, very clever. Hits exactly the right note.

And I blardy love Snowmen.

SpringHeeledJack Fri 09-Nov-12 14:55:38

midnight

I thought exactly the same about the Groke! it's the moving-without-actually-moving thing, isn't it

<brrrrr>

Woozley Fri 09-Nov-12 15:17:04

The Groke isn't terrifying, she's just sad I think. I feel sorry for her.

The Lady of the Cold is quite scary though.

QuickLookBusy Fri 09-Nov-12 15:22:03

I don't think it's as good as last years.

It's all about the snowman struggling. As I said on another thread I want warm and fuzzy at Christmas, not struggles.

Sparklingbrook Fri 09-Nov-12 15:30:26

I want Russ Abbott and Bernie Clifton. Tell JL that too HelenMumsnet.

Sparklingbrook Fri 09-Nov-12 15:41:57

Seriously though. We have seen it. It's the 9th November. How many more times do we have to see it? None. We know what happens. confused

balotelli Fri 09-Nov-12 15:50:31

Absolutely brilliant.

49 yr old bloke sat here tears running down my wrinkly cheeks!

Shame they didnt use Imogen Heap as was rumoured but still love the music and the ad!

Sniff sniff

DreamySleepyNightySnoozySnooze Fri 09-Nov-12 15:55:03

It's nice, but as I watched it I remembered last years advert and started sobbing! blush That one was so lovely.

usualsuspect3 Fri 09-Nov-12 15:58:58

Dreary and depressing.A bit too try hard.

Christmas is supposed to be joyful, oh and they murdered another song for their soundtrack.

Sparklingbrook Fri 09-Nov-12 16:02:34

I don't get the crying. confused And I agree with what usual said.

usualsuspect3 Fri 09-Nov-12 16:05:58

Why would you cry? It's a bloody snowman and a few mountain shots.

JL always make mawkish pretentious ADs with a bit of sad music thrown in though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now