Want to (virtually) meet columnist Caitlin Moran or parenting expert Tanya Byron on Saturday (Nov 10)? Sign up for your chance to chat to them live...

(49 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 05-Nov-12 13:00:50

Hello. It's the Mumsnet BlogFest this Saturday <shakes bunting>.

Tickets to the Blogfest are all sold out BUT we've devised a tip-top techy way to bring Caitlin Moran and Prof Tanya Byron, two of Blogfest's headline speakers, directly to all of you on Saturday - broadcasting live on Mumsnet through Google Hangouts. <woop>

If you've never seen a Google Hangout before, it's essentially a group video chat that anyone can watch. You can see an example here.

What we need now are volunteers to ask either Caitlin or Prof Tanya live questions on their Hangouts.

To be able to take part, you do need...

* To be available on Saturday: at 12.15pm for Tanya, or 5.15pm for Caitlin

* To have a webcam either in, or attached to, your computer

* To have a good internet connection (wired, ideally, but wifi is OK if it's a top-notch signal)

You don't need to have a Google+ account set up right now - although you all should have, obvs smile. We can talk you through how to set it all up nearer the time.

If you'd like to take part, please post the question you'd like to ask below, indicating whether it is for Caitlin or Prof T.

We'll select three or four of you from this thread for each live Hangout.

And we'll let everyone know more details on when and where you can watch the Hangouts in a few days' time.

Thanks - and good luck!

HanSolo Sun 11-Nov-12 00:05:57

Both were cancelled? confused

time constraints due to blogfest or something?

wha'?

MaryZezItsOnlyJustNovember Sat 10-Nov-12 22:21:45

Ah-ha.

The thot plickens, as ds would say.

Pagwatch Sat 10-Nov-12 21:28:42

Were they going to be simultaneously broadcast on Newsnight?

Mintyy Sat 10-Nov-12 19:54:19

Crikey, a teeny bit shambolic wouldn't you say?

BeerTricksPott3r Sat 10-Nov-12 17:33:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Trills Sat 10-Nov-12 17:22:16

Oh dear. Probably a good thing that people didn't get too excited then...

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 10-Nov-12 17:21:03

She's had to dash orf, but will apparently be back for a chat with us later in the week. More info as we have it. Sorry all!

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 10-Nov-12 17:19:11

Hi - so sorry, but we've also now heard that the Caitlin Moran Google Hangout is also cancelled.

BOFisAlwaysUltra Sat 10-Nov-12 17:09:13

What do you click to actually listen or view though, on that page, Caherine?

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 10-Nov-12 17:07:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 09-Nov-12 20:15:47

Glad you have found some MNers, agree with Han Solo re anonymity. If you do this again, maybe clarify in the OP people can volunteer via PM and no
Link to MN name.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 09-Nov-12 13:42:42

We're sorry to say that the Google Hangout with Tanya Byron has been cancelled, due to time restraints sad but the one with Caitlin Moran is def going ahead.

Do please come and watch it, broadcasting live from the MN Blogfest. You can follow it here from 5.30pm on Saturday (10 November).

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 08-Nov-12 14:03:29

Thanks to all who volunteered, both on this thread and by contacting us off board.

We'll be contacting you shortly by PM (if we haven't already).

And yes, point taken, HanSolo, but we really thought this was too good an opportunity not to offer it out to all. We realise it's not something all folks would want to do - but we're really glad some do!

JackThePumpkinKing Thu 08-Nov-12 08:44:42

If anybody can say they're a parenting expert, I reckon it's Tanya Byron grin

HanSolo Wed 07-Nov-12 21:07:53

MNHQ- I think one of the Huuuuuuge appeals of MN is the anonymity, and the whole 'Words on a screen' thing. Using google hangout, and webcam is just so uncomfortable for most people, particularly those on this forum I think.
and I would hate CM to see my badger streak and think I was emulating her !

How can anyone say they are a 'parenting expert' ?

UltraBOF Wed 07-Nov-12 20:50:13

I think the technology of it all is probably a bit opaque to many MNers- I sort of glazed over when you were explaining it anyway, Olivia. But are you saying you will be broadcasting this? Because I thinks that's great.

shinyblackgrape Wed 07-Nov-12 20:46:34

Ooopps! Millions of typos. On phone!

shinyblackgrape Wed 07-Nov-12 20:45:40

mignonette - agree with you re Caitlin Moran and India Knight. Same thing with Kathryn Flett who is a major bum licker of IK on twitter.

Linking to articles about a family with Aspergers with recimmmendations to read in a worthy type manner but not making a cheap re IK. It's increadibly two faced. No doubt they'll all say they DMed India yeah, right

Tanya Byron I do like though. Although, Mumsnet - if you refer to her as "Professir Tanya", you should really refer to Caitlin as "Ms" or whatever her title is. If not, it's all unbalanced and makes my teeth itch!

Corcrikeyermintrude Wed 07-Nov-12 20:39:45

Hello MNHQ,

I'm a big fan of How To Be A Woman and, while not agreeing with everything she says, if CM was on a webchat would love to ask her some questions but I am reluctant to do anything that will be broadcast. Just wondering if others share that view and that's one of the reasons why this thread is so quiet?

FergusSingsTheBlues Wed 07-Nov-12 20:36:46

So...im being discrmnated against for my dyslecia? Im offended....seriously, what's a typo worth???

And I reserve my right to DETEST her wacky ways while spouting all that DRIVEL.

GrrrArghZzzz Wed 07-Nov-12 13:11:21

Caitlin Moran should be held accountable for saying she "literally could not give a shit" about the representation of Women of Colour in media or feminism. Instead of discussion and recognising the problems behind what she said, she just blocks anyone who tries to call her on her bullshit. Her disgusting comments towards the LGBT community (Trans* particularly) are also an issue. She's continuing the tradition of feminism as a white middle class institution and the rest of us apparently don't count.

Intersectionality or GTFO, she in no way should be labelled a feminist until all women are included.

mignonette Wed 07-Nov-12 11:57:55

Read her twatter account then. Her made public response to IK's tweets clearly demonstrate that she has double standards. Okay to not have any problem with IK's 'mental's' comments and the subsequent MN furore but happily writes moving and sentimental OPEds about the plight of the mentally ill.
I do object to that and call her on it.

No idea what the India Knight thing is about that has passed me by. Unless Caitlin Moran has posted ignorant comments herself then I fail to see why she needs to be held accountable for another woman's words? Is she India Knight's mother? No? Well get annoyed with the relevant person, seems straightforward enough to me. I will have to read up on the issue of course.

KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 07-Nov-12 11:51:25

Hello Trills - very good point, so just jumping in to confirm that there's no need for participants to identify themselves by their MN nickname, or their RL name - it's completely up to you. In theory, you could even wear a balaclava wink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now