Local - is it working for you?

(94 Posts)
nannynick Thu 18-Oct-12 18:26:15

Just looked at the new Mumsnet Local.
I see the first map, click through to my local area - Surrey.
Then I've looked at Soft Play, Playgrounds, Toddler Groups and they don't show anything. I just see the top banner, side things, footer, and the section title. Nothing below it.

What is it trying to load - a map?
I'm using Google Chrome on Windows Vista, if that's any help.

Techy Stuff:
DIV affected is: local_Main
DIV class side_buttons is empty
DIV class listings_list list_1 is empty

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 22-Oct-12 11:30:07

ScarahStratton

Good stuff?

For here?

<ohmygawd>

Go on. You can do it, honest you can! <wheedle>

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 22-Oct-12 11:30:32

cartblanche

Thanks for the explanation HelenMumsnet - glad I'm not going mad! Good luck with getting it all sorted - it sounds like it's a bit of a mare but can't wait to see it when it's firing on all four cylinders smile

Thank you!

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 22-Oct-12 11:30:59

IvorHughJackolantern

I can't see anything when I click on Local, all the text is jumbled. I can't click on any of it.

Which Local are you trying to get to, IvorHughJackolantern?

ScarahStratton Mon 22-Oct-12 12:30:16

<whimpers>

You ever been up here? It's a cultural desert.

nannynick Mon 22-Oct-12 16:46:05

BabySensory has listed under Surrey:Toddler Groups. They aren't a toddler group. They are a class... but they are probably finding it hard to know where to put themselves as they are not a music class, dance class, language class, but a mixture of all. I suspect local editors are going to be very busy moving things around. Maybe for some of the national franchise classes, a decision should be made by MNHQ about what category they get listed under.
JoJingles is PreSchool Class:Music, TumbleTots is PreSchool Class:Sports & Active. Those are quite easy... but BabySensory, is that Language or Music?

nannynick Mon 22-Oct-12 16:50:48

Just tried to add a Playground listing, then had a thought... it's in a different county to where I live. That is going to be a constant problem in my area... I border 3 counties. Once there are more listings... will it be possible to search for things by distance from postcode, rather than having to look in each counties listings? Maybe it could be part of adding things to MyLocalPlanner.

nannynick Mon 22-Oct-12 17:05:31

Adding a playground - that was fun! It wanted Times (I've put Dusk-Dawn daily, though it's probably 24/7), Start Date (random pick), End Date (random pick and add many many years). Things like start date, end date make sense for one off events, but not for ongoing, so error checking code may need some adjustment so if it's an ongoing event it does not insist on a start/end date.

I can't click on nuffing

Not working

Nada

Nowt.

Any of them Helen, I don't even get to search. I click on Local and I get jumbled text and the only clickable stuff tells me it's 'coming soon'

This is what I get:

Local
Find a local site
View the London map

Clicking on Local takes me to same page
Find a local site is in different, unclickable, enormous text
I don't want to view a London map confused

If I click on 'add a listing' the whole thing hangs and I have to restart.

dancinginthemoonlight Mon 22-Oct-12 18:25:09

I get that too ivor

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 22-Oct-12 19:15:48

IvorHughJackolantern

This is what I get:

Local
Find a local site
View the London map

Clicking on Local takes me to same page
Find a local site is in different, unclickable, enormous text
I don't want to view a London map confused

If I click on 'add a listing' the whole thing hangs and I have to restart.

Which Local are you after, Ivor?

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 22-Oct-12 19:16:04

dancinginthemoonlight

I get that too ivor

And which one are you after, dancing?

Canterbury Helen

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 22-Oct-12 19:22:44

OK, you need local.mumsnet.com/kent (no www)

confused says it can't be found

Scratch that, I'm in!

Ooooh it's very shiney

ScarahStratton Tue 23-Oct-12 23:23:33

Right, I have 2 whinges.

Firstly, there's no description of what the Friendship Bench is, in Local Meet Ups.

Secondly, there isn't a clicky list at the bottom of the page to navigate you back to the boards.

Apart from that, Lincolnshire is just as empty as I thought it would be. Nothing ever happens here. sad

piprabbit Wed 24-Oct-12 00:00:07

I don't like it.

My area (Essex) is split into random areas: Essex; Chelmsford; Colchester & Harwich; Southend on Sea.

Listings for my area could appear in Essex or Chelmsford or Southend on Sea. I cant be arsed to search all 3 areas. Nor can I be bothered to create listings in triplicate.

Also all the information about Children's Centres etc. that I lovingly created in the old Mid Essex local area has disappeared.

I've started adding new listings tonight - but it's a slow process.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-Oct-12 12:36:38

ScarahStratton

Right, I have 2 whinges.

Firstly, there's no description of what the Friendship Bench is, in Local Meet Ups.

Secondly, there isn't a clicky list at the bottom of the page to navigate you back to the boards.

Apart from that, Lincolnshire is just as empty as I thought it would be. Nothing ever happens here. sad

Good point re Friendship Bench - we'll look at that.

RE clicky list: there's a massive great 'Go to mumsnet.com' in top-right corner - does that help?

ScarahStratton Wed 24-Oct-12 18:55:22

No sad

I want to be able to go straight to AIBU Chat.

<stomps foot>

missnevermind Fri 26-Oct-12 00:38:48

Still cant get onto Birmingham. Just get the same as Ivor and dancing.

RonettePulaski Fri 26-Oct-12 01:43:05

There're an awful lot of different fields to click, only to find them all empty. Some indication of if there actually are any Parks & Playgrounds or Classes would be good.

I get they need populating but like the main talk area perhaps it's a bit too subdivided?

have you looked at netmums they do local well

Birthandbaby Fri 26-Oct-12 10:55:28

I am trying to add a listing to the Croydon Local. It just says, 'Please wait...'

I know the site is up and running because there is another listing in the category I want to put mine into.

Any ideas?

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 26-Oct-12 12:12:56

missnevermind

Still cant get onto Birmingham. Just get the same as Ivor and dancing.

You need local.mumsnet.com/birmingham (no www)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now