Did you get a Blue Peter badge? Do tell - fame and fortune await (well, possibly)

(110 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 18-Oct-12 11:16:24

Hello. Some very nice folks at the Beeb have been in touch with us because they're making a programme to mark the 50th <boggle> anniversary of the Blue Peter badge next year.

And they really want to talk to some people who won a Blue Peter badge when they were young(er).

So, were/are you the proud owner of Blue Peter badge? What kind was it? What did you get it for? And did getting the badge inspire you to bigger and better things?

Do please post your Blue-Peter-badge tales on this thread.

The BBC folk will be watching, and they may ask us to contact some of you to see if you'd be interested in taking part in their programme. (Obviously, you'd be quite free to say no, if you didn't want to.)

Thanks, MNHQ <aghast that no one in office has one>

MysteriousHamster Thu 18-Oct-12 13:36:44

I have two.

I wrote when I was about ten/11 about a school project, and a friend and I got a badge. I think I wrote about saving elephants and got a green badge.

My younger brother was jealous and kicked up a stink, so I wrote again - I think this one was about the Christmas wreathing service at my school's church and we both got white badges.

HOWEVER my memory is very hazy and I can't remember which story belong to either friend or brother. I should really just ask my brother if he'd had a green or a white badge.

I used to wear mine at school a lot but think I ended up getting a bit teased for it.

You could use it for free entry to loads of museums smile

I don't think I have them any more sad

No Blue Peter badge here but I did get my paining shown in "The Gallery" on Take Hart.

It was of some girls in Brownie uniform playing in the Forrest amongst woodland creatures hmm

I think they had to include it as my weekly offerings were starting to be accompanied by ever more desperate keen letters blush

snapespeare Thu 18-Oct-12 13:45:57

I received a white shield with a blue ship for writing and telling Lesley judd, Peter Purves, John Noakes (and Biddy Baxter!) about our bumper tomato crop. the following year I received a dark blue badge witha silver ship for thoughtfully updating the Blue Peter Team on our tomato growing endeavors. I lost the silver badge in a sand pit. devastated. sad I am still precocious wink but have always tried hard and everything and tend to think I cannot be defeated, possibly because of the badge.

As a slight aside, I grew up in a single parent family, didnt have any contact with my father and John Noakes & Peter Purves (and Doctor who!) were my male role models. I loved Blue Peter dearly, so thank you. smile

ShoeJunkie Thu 18-Oct-12 13:47:10

I got one! I was a runner up in a competition to design something (can't remember exactly) for Expo 92. It came with a letter of congratulations from the editor, Lewis Bronze, which was framed and displayed in my bedroom for years and a pen from Expo 92. I still have the badge and the pen, not sure about the letter though.

I was most excited that I could use the badge to get free entry to Blackgang Chine on the Isle of Wight - my favourite place on earth!

I also remember arranging a bring and buy sale to fundraise for something and the appeals that involved collecting cans and keys(?).

StellaMarie Thu 18-Oct-12 13:48:02

I won one for a picture I sent in following the Zebrugge ferry disaster (white badge with blue ship on it).

I was so excited when my daughter won one too for a poem she wrote.

Must dig them out of the 'treasures' box in the loft!

BigBroomstickBIWI Thu 18-Oct-12 13:51:35

Well I'm ancient, and I got one when I was very young. I wrote in about feeding the birds. They sent me a white one. No idea where it is now, some 40+ years later!

SamsGoldilocks Thu 18-Oct-12 14:12:03

Yes, I got one for offering to play with my sister on the show with our bottle blowing band. We could have made a fortune, if only we'd been given the chance to be on a show. Sadly put musical careers never took off on that way.

But maybe we got it because I also wrote to say my dentist, who was also Sarah Green's dentist fancied her. I'm not sure of anything ever happened between her and uncle Johnny but you never know.....

My sister used to religiously make something every night, inspired by blue peter's creativity. You can never look at a matchbox, loo roll or washing up liquid bottle in the same way after years of blue peter.

PoohBearsHole Thu 18-Oct-12 14:24:19

I got one (proud) and I was on it! Blue Peter that is, not the badge. But will so out myself if I tell you!

PoohBearsHole Thu 18-Oct-12 14:30:27

Iirc, it was the Sarah Greene years, was so excited to be on the show as I wasn't one of that many to be on that particular show and I answered a question, was about 7 or 8 I think. We had it on VHS, until my bro recorded or someone else recorded over it, now I come to think of a neighbour videoed it as we didn't have a video at the time grin

StillIRise Thu 18-Oct-12 14:35:04

I didn't but my sister did. I'll point her in this direction.

MooncupMishap Thu 18-Oct-12 14:50:47

I had a green shield-shaped one - I was sooo proud. We got ours for taking part in a recycling project at school and then writing about it. I went to loads of museums etc using it for entry that oerhaps we wouldn't have gone to for financial reasons. It got left in the hotel where we stayed in Portsmouth when we went to visit all the ships and I was devastated. I hid it in the fridge for "safe-keeping" and forgot to take it out again sad. We rang and asked but it was never found hmm grin

PoohBearsHole Thu 18-Oct-12 14:58:40

I am going to stamp my foot that no one is even vaguely curious about my BP experience grin <stomps to do the school run>

moggle Thu 18-Oct-12 15:27:29

I got a white one for sending in a recipe, a green one for writing about how we made a wildlife corner in our garden, and finally a silver one for writing about what it was like to live in the USA. Always dreamed of getting a gold one but unfortunately no one every fell in a pond or had a heart attack in front of me so I could save them, and am not good enough at anything to represent the country!
I loved Blue Peter when I was younger. I have an almost- complete collection of BP annuals and had a massive crush on Tim Vincent when I was in my early teens (cringe)!! When we moved to the US I was just 10 and got my cousin to video all the episodes for me, I missed it so much!

cocolepew Thu 18-Oct-12 15:31:30

How come some people got two and I couldn't manage one envy?

They give them away like sweeties now .

I got one for writing and telling them that they grew runner beans up teepees not wigwams. I was 8 I think and we were learning about native indians at the time.

FaintingGoat Thu 18-Oct-12 15:45:15

My brothers and I got one each when we wrote to them to tell them how utterly tedious thrilling some museum or other was, after they had featured it, and our mum thought it looked interesting. They were the original blue ship on white background, none of those fancy gold ones back then!

UpYaKilt Thu 18-Oct-12 15:45:49

I got one for going on the best school trip ever! We had managed to persuade our cdt teacher to take us to chessington to 'study the structure of the rides' (!) and bp were filming something about 60s fashion that day. Got to dress up in a particularly lovely monochrome number and go round and round the runaway train screaming like idiots! Whilst carefully taking note of the fine engineering of course...

No and I organised a Blue Peter Bring and Buy sale and everything! angrysad not at all bitter

CelineMcBean Thu 18-Oct-12 15:53:10

No. And I collected shed loads of bottle tops and even organised a bring and buy sale.

The bastards angry

CelineMcBean Thu 18-Oct-12 15:53:59

X-posted. I feel your pain maybe.

Parisbanana Thu 18-Oct-12 15:55:41

I got one for being a runner up in a competition to design a new logo for the NSPCC. I still have it, and a letter signed by Simon Groom, Tina Heath and Chris Wenner, and a very old perished green NSPCC balloon which was in the envelope and is now stuck firmly to the letter. It would've been around the late 1970s (no doubt will say on the letter which is upstairs in my treasure box grin)
I was always really proud of it, mostly because my older sister never won one, probably the first time I ever achieved something she didn't! Can you tell we were rather competitive?!

Parisbanana Thu 18-Oct-12 15:57:25

And yes, it is much easier to get them these days cocolepew.... My nephew got one for writing them a letter hmmgrin

MrsHoarder Thu 18-Oct-12 16:00:45

I got one! A standard one after I wrote a letter about dropping my mum's breakfast on the bed on mothering Sunday.

Remember using it when we went to Joderel Bank.

Fortunately I haven't dropped a meal on bed since.

MrsHoarder Thu 18-Oct-12 16:02:25

And it wasn't easy to get one by writting a letter (in the mid-90s): I sent 3 or 4 before I got the badge.

BlueSuedeWitchesHat Thu 18-Oct-12 16:08:03

I've got a white shield shaped one. I was about 5 or 6 so it must have been very early 90s.

They were filming in Crystal Palace park and when I was them I whispered "look Mummy, they're making telly. Shhhh" and made my mum creep past behind the camera. The producer (I assume that's what she was) turned round and gave me a big thumbs up and a beaming smile and a badge! I guess they'd had a lot of interruptions that day!

Yep, I'm proud grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now