Hide Poster (again!)

(353 Posts)
UltraBOF Wed 10-Oct-12 13:13:49

Hide me, hide me! grin

I think that it's time to revisit the arguments for this again: the site is much bigger and full of wankers than it used to be, and there is a lot of unnecessary conflict. Given that civilian moderators have been discounted, and that the community team's workload is practically Dickensian, don't you think that anything which will reduce personal attacks and thus the need for deletions would be a good thing?

I understand that Justine is worried that threads "won't make sense", but given that a) people mostly talk shite anyway and fly off-topic (eg Larkers in the face of Po-some OPs etc); and b) the hide button would be individually activated by choice and not compulsory, I don't think this argument really holds water.

There are many posters mature enough to never need to shield themselves from the profoundly irritating, and some folk are naturally imbued with a zen-like calm in the face of fucknuggetry, but for the rest of us, please please please give us the option to simply never have to read the posts of people we know invariably get on our last nerve.

I am convinced that spats will reduce; people will participate more widely and constructively in threads, instead of having to hide them once their nemesis appears; goading will become much less sustained; and the bill to MNHQ for gin at weekends will be slashed to pre-2005 levels.

What's not to like?

SeveredEdMcDunnough Wed 10-Oct-12 13:56:13

I haven't read this Po stuff. I'm not sure I want to. Sounds horrible.

I'd be quite happy to think someone had hidden me especially if they were a twat

It is not bullying to be ignored on the internet shock my god the number of unanswered threads that are on the boards - and posts within threads that aren't responded to - to say you are bullying someone just because you do not directly address them is ludicrous.

SeveredEdMcDunnough Wed 10-Oct-12 13:57:26

Does it refer to people who take things seriously/ too seriously?

Or those who 'can't take a joke'? hmm

It's probably quite unlikely every single person on a thread would have the same person hidden though isn't it?

SeveredEdMcDunnough Wed 10-Oct-12 13:58:18

I didn't say that LITR. I was referring to a mass-ignoring which could happen sort of by accident.

It's different.

SeveredEdMcDunnough Wed 10-Oct-12 13:58:47

Yes perhaps unlikely though considering the off board stuff wot goes on from time to time, not unthinkable.

UltraBOF Wed 10-Oct-12 13:59:33

Lots of posters get ignored anyway, eecially newer ones, or people just repeating previously-made points. That isn't bullying; it's just the way of a fast-moving thread, and a reflection of people's ease directly addressing people they feel they already "know". Heck, sometimes people get ignored, then someone else makes the exact same point and gets lauded as a genius the bastards . Happens all the time, and it won't noticeably increase.

If other major forums manage this just fine with no hurt feelings, why can't we?

What off board stuff?

OhDeerHauntingFENTON Wed 10-Oct-12 14:01:37

I think though that if so many people had hidden the same poster on a thread that perhaps that person deserved to be ignored. I mean we're not going to go around hiding posters just because they are boring in a non-offensive sense are we?

::worried::

SeveredEdMcDunnough Wed 10-Oct-12 14:01:54

Do they though Bof? Have you seen it in action elsewhere? I would bet there are some side issues, or the format is sufficiently different to MN for the issues we'd get here not to be relevant, iyswim.

T&B - just when people all go off and discuss a thread on FB or something. I don't know if it still happens. I don't do FB.

I might hide everyone and just chat away to myself.
That could be quite amusing.

WereTricksPotter Wed 10-Oct-12 14:02:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SeveredEdMcDunnough Wed 10-Oct-12 14:02:56

I think there are more important/relevant reasons why it would be a bad idea though. It was only a minor point. (about mass ignoring)

Oh FB. I don't do FB

UltraBOF Wed 10-Oct-12 14:03:05

The Po stuff is tongue-in-cheek, and refers mainly to people who get annoyed by certain regulars having a banter on threads and going off-topic.

This would help those people too.

Instead of starting threads to moan about bullies and cliques and hurting other people's feelings by doing so (yes, regulars have feelings too), they can selectively hide the people they consider to be the worst offenders and contribute to the thread as they see fit.

Everybody would be happier.

SeveredEdMcDunnough Wed 10-Oct-12 14:04:33

Oh that'll be me then. I knew it would, somehow...that's the sort of name people used to call me when I was a kid and didn't agree with bullying...

sigh

thanks for elaborating, Bof

OhDeerHauntingFENTON Wed 10-Oct-12 14:05:38

Oh gawd not the off board shout-outs on FB again, please.

I doesn't happen, - not among nice MNers, anyway.

HoopDePoop Wed 10-Oct-12 14:06:01

But MN is so easy and clear, so friendly and welcoming. I am not a particularly sociable animal irl and suffer from social anxiety.

An 'ignore poster' button is like turning your back on someone entering the room, if you think of MN as a dinner party with thousands of tables to which everyone is welcome. Just move table/thread if someone is annoying you, it is such a huge site. If I get into a bunfight in say Feminism, I'll go hang out in S and B for a bit, or find an unanswered thread in Chat.

I never get the PMs calling me onto a certain thread like others allegedly do. I feel very sad that no one lines me and probably has hidden me already by magic.

D0oinMeCleanin Wed 10-Oct-12 14:08:17

Tantrums there are secret clubs away from MN. Everyone is in at least three. You are just popular enough wink grin

I suspect you and I would hide the same poster grin

And yy to hide poster option.

UltraBOF Wed 10-Oct-12 14:09:50

EdMc, I'm not referring to you personally at all, I promise. There is a thread like that started at least once a week. You might not find them all, as they are usually in Chat, and often get deleted as the fur flies. If I have offended you, I am very sorry.

Anyway, the Po thing is a diversion (says me, ironically trying to keep this on-topic). I am trying to sound people out on the Hide Poster button, not drag up rows or feuds.

And my point is that those feuds would markedly reduce with the HP button.

HoopDePoop Wed 10-Oct-12 14:09:58

I am a 'reg' in the sense that I'm on here daily and have been here for about 5 years, but I namechange a lot. I still get really irritated when a group of people who seem to think they rule MN decide that whatever the OP is talking about isn't to their taste so they go wildly off-topic with banter intended to exclude usually the OP and possibly others. If that makes me someone you'd call names then so be it.

Yes I suspect we would d0oin grin

I've never wanted to hide anyone quite so much!

I am in no secret club. It's just all wrong

SeveredEdMcDunnough Wed 10-Oct-12 14:10:53

Good, Fenton. I'm glad it doesn't happen. I know it used to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now