Science & Nature Club Topic, pretty please!

(42 Posts)
TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 05-Oct-12 13:04:45

Hi MNHQ

A few of us have been discussing whether MNHQ could have a Science & Nature Club Topic, along the lines of the recent and highly successful History Club Topic.

In it we could have:

Long running threads on major areas e.g. genetics, evolution, astronomy. Discussions about science teaching methods and links to any good resources.
Book recommendations/reviews/maybe even a book club.
Scientific howlers in scifi tv/novels.
Reviews of TV science programmes.
Explanations from expert posters e.g. from OYBBK explaining how all her lovely weather models work (not that I've asked her yet!).
Friday night threads about whether Brian Cox or Marcus du Sautoy is sexier grin.
Any other sciency-wiency naturey-waturey stuff we could think of!

What do people think?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 07-Oct-12 07:03:15

Thank you Helen!

Only just spotted this, I've really enjoyed the Physics thread.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 25-Oct-12 21:11:56

Have just watched "Voyager: The Final Frontier" on bbc I player, It was absolutely riveting tv, well worth watching.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 09-Nov-12 12:15:11

Bump!

Is anyone watching the iceberg and glacier series, it's ace?

Where are we now on the tech list, MNHQ? 3141st? 2718th?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 10-Dec-12 07:52:31

Hello all

OYBBK has posted on one of the weather threads that the Geminids (meteor shower) will be visible (look up and over Orion's left shoulder) on 14th/15th Dec after 11pm, if cloud coverage permits.

How's the to-do list, MNHQ?

GrimAndHumourlessAndEven Mon 10-Dec-12 08:37:27

Ooooh lovely, I do like a meteor shower, thank you

IceTheChristmasKateMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 10-Dec-12 10:15:09

TheDoctrineOfSnatch

Hello all

OYBBK has posted on one of the weather threads that the Geminids (meteor shower) will be visible (look up and over Orion's left shoulder) on 14th/15th Dec after 11pm, if cloud coverage permits.

How's the to-do list, MNHQ?

The to-do list is, er, totally manageable and in hand <drowns in denial>

We do know you are waiting very patiently, and we haven't forgotten you, we promise.

Give us another nudge after Christmas, and we'll give you a better status update.

<offers around scientific gin>

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 10-Dec-12 11:00:47

<takes Kate's flavoured C2H5OH>

grin

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 12-Dec-12 11:42:14

Hello all

Is anyone listening to "More or Less: behind the statistics" on Radio 4 or podcast? I know Tim Harford is an economist not a scientist so doesn't quite fit in the title, but I do find it a really good look at how numbers are used (and misused) in news.

GrimAndHumourlessAndEven Wed 12-Dec-12 17:46:55

We love more or less here

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 13-Dec-12 00:12:09

www.sen.com/feature/the-geminid-meteor-shower.html

More on The Geminids, this link says it will be 13th and 14th.

Glad there's another More or Less fan!

sciencelover Thu 13-Dec-12 18:12:10

I've always been a skeptic of numbers in the news. I would prefer to see raw data because the subset of reported results always leave me with more questions than answers.

I'm really excited for the the new topic, in case no one could tell by the screen name. smile

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 13-Dec-12 22:45:18

I agree sciencelover. It should be compulsory to provide a link to the abstract when reporting on any "study" (eg "Science shows that 7 out of 10 women like pink" when the study also says 9 out of 10 like green too)

HelpOneAnother Thu 13-Dec-12 22:52:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 13-Dec-12 22:54:55

Ooh thanks.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 09-Jan-13 07:47:04

Happy New Year, science fans (and a gentle nudge to Kate)!

I just read that Brian May bought Patrick Moore's house for him in 2008 so that he could stay living in it. Aww!

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-Jan-13 10:16:39

Morning. Here you go: enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now