I've always been against it, but I've changed my mind.

(94 Posts)
BlameItOnTheCuervo Mon 01-Oct-12 14:18:03

Can we have a hide poster button, please? It would cut down on cases where posters rub each other up the wrong way, resulting in a ban or slap ion the wrists.

I will buy you gin!

weegiemum Mon 01-Oct-12 18:08:23

I like the "oh do fuck off to the far side of fuck then fuck off again" posts!

Saves me saying it!

Maryz Mon 01-Oct-12 18:11:59

I don't want a "hide poster" option.

I would like a "ban poster" option, pretty please Helen.

I will be really good and only press it in emergencies and when someone really pisses me off

[hopeful]

BlameItOnTheCuervo Mon 01-Oct-12 18:13:30

Oh mary, thatd be ace!

Maryz Mon 01-Oct-12 18:14:17

Wouldn't it just grin

We could take turns [generous]. Maybe we could each have it for a night a month. It would save hq sooooo much time and effort.

BlameItOnTheCuervo Mon 01-Oct-12 18:16:59

Ah yes. And the recipient would get a message saying "you are annoying, fuck off"

SuperB0F Mon 01-Oct-12 18:18:58

I'd like MNHQ to have an invisibility button for goaders. They wouldn't know, but other posters wouldn't see them or respond to their posts, and they'd get bored and fuck off.

But I suppose if we had the self-discipline to actually follow the guidelines, this would be entirely unnecessary grin.

HotheadPaisan Mon 01-Oct-12 18:19:47

I've used a script to achieve this on here, it works. No disruption to the threads, there's no obligation to answer anyone about anything anyway and in a fast-moving thread people often don't answer direct questions so people don't even know you've hidden them. You can also favourite posters and change their colour for balance.

BlameItOnTheCuervo Mon 01-Oct-12 18:22:16

Oh, how I long to be one of those posters who can turn the other cheek and rise above.

Tee2072 Mon 01-Oct-12 18:22:28

I have always been for it.

Also Personal Attack day, whets you can call a cunt a cunt and not get deleted, would make me very very happy.

usualsuspect3 Mon 01-Oct-12 18:24:23

Would you know you were hidden? I expect posters would say I'm hiding you now if you were winning an argument. I would be yelling at the screen then grin

HotheadPaisan Mon 01-Oct-12 18:30:10

They might but I would already have hidden them so I wouldn't see them say that. It could get petty and heated but it does anyway. It worked for me when I used it.

flyoverthegoldenhill Mon 01-Oct-12 18:31:04

Tee I thought you could call a cunt a cunt and not get deleted

HotheadPaisan Mon 01-Oct-12 18:31:53

You wouldn't know, no alert, but you could assume it after the 50th goading of someone still didn't get a response but you can see they are still on the thread. The way the script I used worked it that it highlighted their name but hid their post so you could skip past it. Hiding the name and post completely would work better.

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Mon 01-Oct-12 18:33:06

Yes please god YES can we have this.

I would love to hide the goading twats on my shitlist.

FrankWippery Mon 01-Oct-12 18:45:34

I did suggest to RebeccaMN that in exchange for cake I could have a free hold on MN for the day. We negotiated and settled on a morning. Just think of the fun.

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 01-Oct-12 19:14:51

Paisan are you some kind of evil genius shock

I definitely agree it would be worth it to be able to hide the goaders because I usually end up either pissing myself off by biting or hiding the whole thread just because of one poster.

Personal Attack day would be fucking awesome!

Maryz Mon 01-Oct-12 19:15:50

The only problem with a "hide poster" option, is that all the sensible posters who know they are a twat will hide the twats.

And the poor newbies won't realise and will try to reason with them, with no support. And they might (horror) think we are silently agreeing.

We need a "I have hidden you because you are a twat" emoticon.

FancyPuffin Mon 01-Oct-12 19:17:45

I vote for two new topics..

PO Corner (In the cuntry)

Twat Land (The unhappiest place on earth)

HotheadPaisan Mon 01-Oct-12 19:21:59

Not my script but will find a link later.

You still state your opinions but without being distracted, and they don't get the thrill of a response and no-one gets caught in the crossfire. Win, win, win.

Alameda Mon 01-Oct-12 19:24:58

I would like it but feel a bit 'let she who has never goaded cast the first stone' though as am a hypocrite blush

MadBusLady Mon 01-Oct-12 19:29:00

Yes please! And then publish monthly league tables of Most Hidden Posters.

I use Another Parenting Forum (not nethuns) that has an Ignore User button. Hardly anyone uses it. It does disrupt the flow and the only people who really deserve it need Reporting anyway, not hiding.

Truly, don't bother. It's just another annoying button to press by accident on a so-called "smart"phone.

I can pm links to discussions of the pointlessness by those who have access to such delights, if hq or I suppose anyone else is interested.

Maryz Mon 01-Oct-12 19:35:09

Excellent idea MadBusLady, along with lists of who has hidden them so we can all judge

<thinks of a number of people who would hide me, and plans on a bit of revenge hiding>

InfinityWelcomesCarefulDrivers Mon 01-Oct-12 19:40:03

huh I started a thread exactly like this a couple of months ago and got no response from MNHQ
<hides HelenMN>

Maryz Mon 01-Oct-12 19:42:18

You need to develop the art of skilfully bumping your own thread, Infinity. And then eventually someone notices grin

or mention cake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now