I've always been against it, but I've changed my mind.

(94 Posts)
BlameItOnTheCuervo Mon 01-Oct-12 14:18:03

Can we have a hide poster button, please? It would cut down on cases where posters rub each other up the wrong way, resulting in a ban or slap ion the wrists.

I will buy you gin!

FrankWippery Mon 01-Oct-12 14:20:04

I'll second that based on today's threads alone grin

I'll send cake.

BlameItOnTheCuervo Mon 01-Oct-12 14:48:47

I know. It would cut down on hq's workload!

flyoverthegoldenhill Mon 01-Oct-12 15:10:49

well I've clearly missed all the fun

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Oct-12 16:07:24

Did someone say cake?

BlameItOnTheCuervo Mon 01-Oct-12 16:11:35

And gin!!

Please, will you discuss it? I don't want to get banned, but equally, I don't want to have to hide whole topics because of posters whio give me the rage.

It would cut down on PAs and vendettas too.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Oct-12 16:28:12

We'd certainly be willing to look at how difficult it would be to set up.

BlameItOnTheCuervo Mon 01-Oct-12 16:48:20

yay, thank you. see, thats why you are my favourite hqer (dont tell the others) wink

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 01-Oct-12 17:06:58

I've finally done that thing where you can see who started the thread, never saw the point in it before.

I now hide before I succumb to the temptation of opening. Otherwise it's like trying not to pick a scab!

BlameItOnTheCuervo Mon 01-Oct-12 17:08:00

Randall, I tried that, but it doesnt work on mobile. and I usually mn from the twatphone.

EdMcDunnough Mon 01-Oct-12 17:10:56

Oh good, another convert (and Helen is sounding a bit hopeful there)

Yes, today's threads (naming no dead celebrities) would benefit from this option I feel.

Portofino Mon 01-Oct-12 17:25:08

I have to agree - there have been a few recently who give me the rage and I am TRYING to be good. And I did bring proper Belgian chocs all the way from Belgium on Saturday....<<tries to forget that I was standing right next to Helen MN and didn't know who she was.....>>

usualsuspect3 Mon 01-Oct-12 17:27:32

I think it would be a good idea.

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 01-Oct-12 17:27:43

Oh, crap. I didn't know that. (damn it, it was such a fool-proof plan!)

Ed yes it would be very useful on that thread indeed.

Tbh there are very very few posters I'd use it for, purely because people who boil your piss on one subject can also be great on another.

I do agree with what HQ have said in the past aswell. It could make threads difficult to follow at times and also I think if people started using too easily then it removes a poster's chance to either apologise or explain themselves IYSWIM.

Say someone was all over a thread with really ignorant opinions so you instantly hide them. You could easily miss finding out why they have these opinions or miss them actually changing their opinions.

I do see it's appeal I really do but I don't think it's that simple. Perhaps just a hide post button maybe? I don't know confused

usualsuspect3 Mon 01-Oct-12 17:29:12

Whats gone on today then?

Maybe not such a good idea if I miss stuff though grin

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 01-Oct-12 17:32:33

Just the JS thread Usual.

usualsuspect3 Mon 01-Oct-12 17:38:12

Oh I avoided that one.

BlameItOnTheCuervo Mon 01-Oct-12 17:38:31

Some posters are deliberately goady, though. They don't want tio be reasoned with.

usualsuspect3 Mon 01-Oct-12 17:41:09

True,I would only have about 2 posters left visible on the benefit bashing threads.

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 01-Oct-12 17:50:37

Oh, yy to the deliberately goady ones grin

I just hide all benefit bashing ones now, I learnt my lesson there.

The problem is a poster I had a proper slanging match with on a benefit bashing thread has been really lovely about loads of other things.

I'm getting splinters in my arse about this one!

SuperB0F Mon 01-Oct-12 18:04:02

I would support this. It would also cut down MNHQ's workload massively, I think, as people could just avoid being drawn into arguments with irksome types, and there would be far fewer exasperated "Oh do fuck off" -type posts.

usualsuspect3 Mon 01-Oct-12 18:05:22

There would be far less reporting and deleting.

BlameItOnTheCuervo Mon 01-Oct-12 18:05:59

Exactly Boffy. And alsio means that trolly goaders don't get what they want!

BlameItOnTheCuervo Mon 01-Oct-12 18:06:43

Yes, usual. Soi threads will actually make more sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now