Is it worth having a sort of 'Clique Corner' or even a Quiche Corner?

(235 Posts)

Just to start with saying I have no problem with cliques! Ok, I don't mean cliques as such but the 'regular' threads that appear on MN, Elevenses, Shiney, Twilight etc. When I first started I was in a regular antenatal/postnatal group, and lord knows people griped enough about those!

But there are lots of regular threads that I am too scared to join don't wish to be a part of that keep appearing in my active convos. I can hide them, but have to do so individually, then a new one pops up. I was wondering, if it becomes apparent that you have a 'regular thread' (and I know they aren't usually premeditated, they often come about organically) could it be moved into a topic that can be hidden, or at least new threads started in such a topic?

Is that a really bad idea? Don't want to offend anyone, but would like to make my MNetting as efficient as possible grin

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 19-Sep-10 18:11:40

You mean as Quiche-free as possible, don't you, Bumperlicious? wink

Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else agree?

Tippychoocks Sun 19-Sep-10 18:16:24

Um, yes I think that might be a plan. I'd be too scared to join any one of those threads. But would it go across topics? Would you remove the weight loss ones for example? Because I think that they do regularly pick up new people and it would be a shame if they were excluded. If it's just to tidy up Chat then I think it's a plan grin

Or you and I start a lovely Quichey thread Bumpers, all in code or eggy-peggy. An outcasts thread smile

cyb Sun 19-Sep-10 18:17:53

I think thats a good idea. You could hide whole topic then

JiggeryPopery Sun 19-Sep-10 18:20:20

Oh God yes please.

There is a raft of threads that cause me to hit 'hide thread' with such force I am now on my third keyboard.

bottyburpthebarbarian Sun 19-Sep-10 18:39:37

I vote for a Clinique Corner grin

pinkbasket Sun 19-Sep-10 18:40:36

I think it is a terrible idea. Unless you can introduce a facility to hide all posts by a poster wink.

FallingWithStyle Sun 19-Sep-10 18:53:03

Excellent idea!
I'm forever hiding the quiche threads - no problem with them but they clog up active convos.

I'm really not trying to be anti-Quiche, I know they have their place. I would quite happily be in one, but feel you have to there at their inception to really get involved, it's not something you can contrive, and hard to join half way through.

It is a good point that they might not pick up new members if they want to, but if people spot a need they do tend to link threads, so they can say 'oi, over here with like-minded JML/Mis Lit/earthenware obsessives' grin

Tippychoocks Sun 19-Sep-10 19:19:00

Thing is though, I have realised that I agree with hiding all the ones I don't like and am arguing to keep on the main board the ones that I use like diet ones or student parent ones. So that just means that I want a bespoke Mumsnet and perhaps you should not listen to me.
Not that I imagine for a second anyone was. I do witter on rather grin

Honeydragon Sun 19-Sep-10 19:28:18

I ,ve not been here long and found my way into a quiche except i've not thought of it as one - more a drop in and burble. I've cretainly never joined another thread to "help a mate". It would be a shame if they were in their own topic as that would make them exclusive, and unapproachable.

VoldemortsNipple Sun 19-Sep-10 19:32:29

Id like a random comment corner. Sometimes you would just like to share some news but you dont really want to start a thread on it. Something like..

Ive just got a promotion, or, my cat has just had 12 kittens or, guess what somebody said to me today.

Those kind of things.

People should be able to reply but it would save having a whole thread on something that might only have a few replies.

MarshaBrady Sun 19-Sep-10 19:38:51

yes I was thinking that the other day VN. How funny.

Then I didn't start a thread as that too was a random musing...

MarshaBrady Sun 19-Sep-10 19:39:19

My rm was about comedians.

But isn't that what chat is supposed to be about?

I honestly don't mind the quiches, but because they pop up so frequently as people post regularly I have to hide them all the time, as I may be missing valuable sleb twaddle interesting political discussions grin

cyb Sun 19-Sep-10 20:02:57

I'd like a 'Can I just have a moan' section that it is impossible to reply to. So you rant away, and no one can argue with what you are saying

its the online equivalent to screaming into apillow

ASmallBunchOfFlowers Sun 19-Sep-10 20:04:05

I'm often on a thread which people probably think is a quiche - I hope it isn't as we're always pathetically grateful pleased to get new members - and I'd worry that if we were divorced from our topic and shunted off into Quiche Corner we wouldn't get any new people dropping in.

I would have thought that the 'hide thread' facility was enough.

PixieOnaLeaf Sun 19-Sep-10 20:14:47

Message withdrawn

VoldemortsNipple Sun 19-Sep-10 21:31:02

But in chat Bumperlicious, Threads usually evolve like everywhere else, sometimes you just want to share some news or say something really random that pops into your head. It might not warrent a whole thread.

I will often click on a really interesting thread title, only to find that there have already been 60+ replies. By that time the thread has moved on and its not worth commenting on the original OP

2shoes Mon 20-Sep-10 09:55:27

think the op's idea, I do get fed up with these "private" threads. I know you can join in, but they are all chatting and you are like a gate crasher.

Tortington Mon 20-Sep-10 09:57:53

yes yes

no offence to shiney, but i have to wade through her cult daily.

if i could make the twisluts dissapear i would grin

MaMoTTaT Mon 20-Sep-10 10:00:57

No no no - there are some threads that are "regulars" that new people reguarly drop into - off the top of my head the flylady and listmakers. the stately homes one, bereavement ones, mental health ones.

Plus some of the ones mentioned above

2shoes Mon 20-Sep-10 10:03:42

bereavement ones,
should stay where they are as imo they are an exception.

MaMoTTaT Mon 20-Sep-10 10:07:30

what about stately homes, addict partners, mental health ones?

where do you draw the line?

I'd be happy for a voluntary quiche corner, when you transplant your thread there it means "we are miserable beeatches and we don't want none of you lot to join in"

Tortington Mon 20-Sep-10 10:18:21

well the stately homes one is a staple i think. that could defo have a place in quiche corner.

i percieve this to be a good thing.

not a negative thing

however i do understand that some may percieve this to be a 'shoving them outta the way' kinda thing, and i wouldn't want anyone to feel like that.

i would rather hope they see it as a compliment.

but if it upsets people then of course no.

sethstarkaddersmum Mon 20-Sep-10 10:19:24

Great idea, at least for the 'Worley, Jen, Puss!' type ones, if not the stately homes or sleep is for the weak ones.

AbsofCroissant Mon 20-Sep-10 10:20:55

I'm up for a quiche corner

And also some quiche, in case anyone's offering.

armbow Mon 20-Sep-10 10:24:04

I joined one these threads half way through and I would never have found it if it was in a separate section of MN.

I can honestly say that finding and joining the thread (it has been going for yonks and new people join all the time)has helped me enormously.

MaMoTTaT Mon 20-Sep-10 10:27:33

but how would people find these support threads (as many of them are in various guises) if they were shoved under a general "quiche" topic???

AbsofCroissant Mon 20-Sep-10 10:29:45

My opinion is that the support threads, like stately homes etc., should stay in the topic they started in - as they're not so much about idle chit chat, but do offer really helpful advice (I received some revelatory advice from Stately Homes people).

For the threads which are genuinely people just nattering away, I think the quiche topic is the perfect place.

Mouseface Mon 20-Sep-10 10:30:17

I post on the Brave Babes threads, it's in Relationships because the first thread was about JesusWhatNext's relationship being at breaking point due to her excessive drinking.

There have been 8 threads now, all about quiting the booze. It's a great support thread IMO and it picks up new posters all the time.

Whilst some of the posters have been on the thread from the start and 'know' more about one another, there is no way that a new poster would be ignored or treated differently because of that. Everyone is treated the same, regardless of how long they have posted or how often.

I know that the thread has helped lots of posters to quit the booze or even cut down (myself included) and address other issues too.

Should it still be in Relationships? Maybe, as it is now about our relationships with the drink! grin

Threads without a purpose, so not about supporting one another or giving advice on dieting, bereavement, mental health, abuse etc, should have their own topic or if there was a way to stop them popping up in active convos, maybe do that?

MaMoTTaT Mon 20-Sep-10 10:31:56

there is a way to stop them popping up........hide them when you first spot them - if you're talking about the "non-support in any guise" threads - well there's really not many of them

Mouseface Mon 20-Sep-10 10:41:13

Neither kind bother me. smile

rubyrubyruby Mon 20-Sep-10 10:46:33

That's a rubbish idea Bumper! grin

VinegarTits Mon 20-Sep-10 11:32:01

do they really bother you that much?

2shoes Mon 20-Sep-10 12:19:07

having thought about it I take back my earlier post.
bereavement shouldn't be exempt.
it wouldn't be that hard to start a new thread and put a link in the old one(we did that on moving from general health to bereavment)

MaMoTTaT Mon 20-Sep-10 13:11:58

but what about people who join after the old thread has died? How are they going to find it if they're looking in bereavement and it's under "quiche"

2shoes Mon 20-Sep-10 13:41:05

i presume they would start a thread, then someone can post a link to new thread.

I think if it was a voluntary thing it would be ok,
at least that would solve some of it

MaMoTTaT Mon 20-Sep-10 13:45:46

still think it's easier to click hide on the ones you're not interested in - there's not actually that many of them if you click hide - it only seems like a lot if you don't hide them because they're posted on a lot so get bumped regularly

I really don't have a problem with them, I'm just not interested and I find myself having to hide them for each topic, and then hide the next ones etc.

I won't bang on about it, it was just a suggestion and if people don't agree that's fine.

I don't mean it as an 'exclusive' thing, or to push others out, but we all know which ones are the 'regular' threads, and people will link to them on other threads where appropriate. In fact I would be more inclined to join in if someone said 'why don't you come and join our thread over here [link to quiche corner]' than just popping in of my own accord.

Besides, hiding them in active convos doesn't stop people going and looking for them in Quiche Corner does it? There are loads though, off the top of my head:

Twi-Sluts
Stately homes
Wise and avid shoppers
Shiney
10/10 (is that still going?)
Wankers
Bereaved parents
Brave babes battling the booze
Lighter
The Bar
The Tea Shop
Elevenses
Fly Lady
Slatterns

I'm sure there's more. Anyway, when I say 'Quiche' I really mean it tongue in cheek, not in a judgey 'mn is so cleeky' kinda way.

MaMoTTaT Mon 20-Sep-10 14:51:30

but how will new people know to go and look in a "quiche" topic - chances are they going to think oh it's a private club I can't enter.

LOL @ complaining about them and one of the ones on the top of your head list you're not sure if it's still - so obviously not inpinging on your active convo's too much wink

Aitch Mon 20-Sep-10 14:54:14

i'd like all those threads in one hideable place, yes. good list, although no doubt not comprehensive.
the sanctuary as well... or whatever it has evolved into. and the nothing tastes lot.

Aitch Mon 20-Sep-10 14:54:51

oh and the d'you ever wonder ones...

2shoes Mon 20-Sep-10 14:55:24

but most of them are private clubs(obviously not counting the bereaved parents one)

MaMoTTaT Mon 20-Sep-10 14:56:18

private clubs?

no they're not!

Faaamily Mon 20-Sep-10 14:56:52

Yes, I agree. That bloody Avid one in Style & Beauty <huffy sigh?

2shoes Mon 20-Sep-10 14:57:03

???

Aitch Mon 20-Sep-10 14:58:35

oh they are, mam, come on. yes, those avid ones that are always buying STUFF, get them off as well. lol. i am realising how many people i have to hide here.

MaMoTTaT Mon 20-Sep-10 14:59:29

there are also new people joining the Slatterns (I popped back in today after a long absence and hardly knew anyone grin)

I should imagine new "Fly'ers" are always joining,

I've never seen the bar with a regular "private" membership either.

And don't you tink it would rather "belittle" the supportive ones to be putting the "regular chat" in with the supportive ones??

Don't like them - hide them - it's really not hard.

2shoes Mon 20-Sep-10 15:01:12

hardly a biggie if they had their won topic

MaMoTTaT Mon 20-Sep-10 15:02:06

well obviously if you've not got something in common with the theme of the thread then it may feel like that - but I've popped in and out of several of the "long standing" threads and never felt out of place

Aitch Mon 20-Sep-10 15:03:11

it is a pita though. grin
presumably there would be a way of leaving the groups at the top of the page of, say, the bereavement topic, so as to make it clear to anyone visiting that this was the place for general support.

they all really clutter up active convos, imo.

MaMoTTaT Mon 20-Sep-10 15:04:39

well if you want to make them into private members clubs so that newbies don't feel they can join and get support - fine go ahead push for it - personally I think it's a ridiculous idea and don't see what's wrong with hiding them.

I've just scrolled through Active convo's - and apart form the Feminism topic I have none hidden - and can only see a couple of "quiche" threads confused

2shoes Mon 20-Sep-10 15:05:44

personally I think it's a ridiculous idea and don't see what's wrong with them having thier won topic

MaMoTTaT Mon 20-Sep-10 15:07:10

clutter up active - are you having a laugh?

ok - I'll go back and count them

I'll include the "oldest starting secondary school" and ante/post natal ones.

13 - out of 100........and several of those were ante/post natal ones

so now I'm really confused - and will also be late if I don't get my arse out of the door and go and pick up DS2 grin

MaMoTTaT Mon 20-Sep-10 15:08:13

well I sure as hell (if I were a newbie) want to post on a miscarrige/trying again/bereavement/struggling with booze thread in a "clique" topic - if I even found it.

"but how will new people know to go and look in a "quiche" topic - chances are they going to think oh it's a private club I can't enter."

I think if there's a quiche thread that also fits somewhere else, the "somewhere else" should stickies always at the top of the topic list, along the lines of "Looking for a support thread for general ranting and venting about your toxic parents? You are always welcome here: [[ link to thread in quiche buffet ]]

MaMoTTaT Mon 20-Sep-10 15:08:52

don't we already have enough stickies as it is??

"Looking for a thread to discuss healthy eating tips and practices - please join the [[ link to 10/10 thread]]

But these wouldn't be in Active Conversations. They'd be in the individual topic areas.

pagwatch Mon 20-Sep-10 15:15:52

Oh I wouldn't like a quiche corner

I am only on one thread that probably looks like a quiche but isn't.
We are all delighted if anyone new comes and joins.

And most quiches just start don't they, and although people are chatting it can be possible to join if you want. I was part of the tea room for a while - me with my three children.

I occasionally peek and one day will blunder in on some of them if I am feeling brave. I suspect most threads from the shiney to the elevenses or the music threads etc etc are pretty friendly if you stalk persist.

I can just imagine all the virtual toe shuffling 'er, do we think we are like a quiche now or are the rest of you going to fuck off when this thread fills. shall we go to quiche corner?'
The definition of needy grin

Aitch Mon 20-Sep-10 15:16:23

yup, that's what i'm saying spb. an all-welcome chat thread at the top of the topic.

2shoes Mon 20-Sep-10 15:16:33

i just had a peek in a quiche thread.
it is people chatting that obviously do it all the time and know each other.
I hardly think a newbie would want to join in

ah look I don't care but if we do get one can it be called the quiche buffet?

2shoes Mon 20-Sep-10 15:24:00

but would you be allowed to talk about sausage rolls in there?

oooh tough one
Maybe we'll have a quiche master to decide that sort of thing

2shoes Mon 20-Sep-10 15:26:04

oh then we have to have a mn master chef comp to pick them

I don't have a problem going into them, if I wanted to I would, but I generally don't (mainly because I can't really keep up with these sorts of threads and haven't the memory to keep track of who said what). And I'm not saying that they are exclusive, I'm sure most of them aren't, but I don't want to join in.

Also, the newbies thing is a red herring, how many newbies know about active convos (took me months to figure that one out!)? If it was called Quiche Corner that might just draw them in as a newbie is unlikely to know what Quiche means grin

Anyhoo, just an idea. I'm not going to press for it, just putting it out there

MaMoTTaT Mon 20-Sep-10 15:29:42

I bet you they didn't all join at the same time.....

Surely it's no different to moving to a new area and meeting new people - when you first join in a conversation they're going to be talking like they know each other........ermm because they do - in time you'll "know" them as well

ASmallBunchOfFlowers Mon 20-Sep-10 15:30:15

<<Fondly remembers Pagwatch's gracious visit to the one child tea room>>

I remain unconvinced. These proposals about stickies and threads-to-direct-people-to-other threads are beginning to sound ridiculously complicated.

It's quite true that the one child tea room has of late been mostly about tea, virtual Bolly and messing about. But it has also in the past been (and will be in the future) a source of support and hand-holding for people who are struggling in some way with having one child, have found the one child topic and have wandered into the tea room. It would be sad to lose that.

Please drop in at any time!

CakeandRoses Mon 20-Sep-10 15:30:36

I like the idea. Happy for them to stay in their original topics but just not to appear in Most active convos

MaMoTTaT Mon 20-Sep-10 15:36:27

so 10% are "regular" threads (including post/ante natal).

I can easily count another 50 normal threads that I wish weren't in Active convo's

Honestly - expand to 100 theads in Active and you'll hardly notice them - especially if you hide them wink

pagwatch Mon 20-Sep-10 15:38:19

AsmallBunch

I loved it in there, the aspidistra was so well cared for. But i couldn't keep up with the alcohol consumption.

[fond memories]

Cakeandroses don't think it is as easy as that, which is the only reason why I suggested a topic, to be able to hide it, not to keep them away or anything.

Mamottat, the thing is the quiche threads go on for aaaages then pop up again. Crap threads in active convos don't often go on for 1000 posts.

Aitch Mon 20-Sep-10 15:42:45

okay, how's it looking so far. mammottat against, who's for?

MaMoTTaT Mon 20-Sep-10 15:43:36

well I could disagree on that one

"what's the worst film you've ever seen"

really I don't give a shit grin

So if they go on for AAAAAAAAAges - hide them as soon as they appear - really what's the problem confused

Me me me!

SoupDragon Mon 20-Sep-10 15:46:40

I'd love a Quiche Corner to shove some recurrent threads into. There re a few which, no matter how often ii click Hide Thread, come back with a new thread in a ridiculously short time.

rubyrubyruby Mon 20-Sep-10 15:46:50

bu
but
but .......

if they aren't in the right topic how will people know what the threads about

eg: shiney - healthy eating
d'y ever - multiple births
the one child
and bereavement threads.

Aitch Mon 20-Sep-10 15:47:20

yes yes yes... so mamottat is against, who's for? grin

ASmallBunchOfFlowers Mon 20-Sep-10 15:47:56

Oh, Pagwatch. You remembered the aspidistra! Do come back.

[needy]

Aitch Mon 20-Sep-10 15:48:21

no, ruby, they would be at the top of their own topic as well, stickied. it would be BETTER. [evangelical grin]

rubyrubyruby Mon 20-Sep-10 15:49:06

no ........... it would be crap grin

MaMoTTaT Mon 20-Sep-10 15:52:13

agree ruby - it would be utter shite.

if there's a link permanent link to at the top of each topic wouldn' that be even worse - as then they'd ALWAYS be there when you clicked on the topic? Always at the top staring you in the face

good point rubyrubyruby
She means in Active conversations it would say

Quiche: D'y ever...
instead of
Multiple births: D'y ever...

I don't think it would stop people joining support threads - as someone alreadysaid a new person might start a thread saying 'i feel so alone nobody understands my fear of custard creams' and could be told 'never fear, join our custard cream phobia support thread, here's the link'.

VinegarTits Mon 20-Sep-10 15:54:28

well the shiney thread is in party/celebrations so just hide that topic (unless your really in parties like)

or come and join, we talk mostly about cock cake smile

rubyrubyruby Mon 20-Sep-10 15:55:36

I didn't even know we had a party/celebrations topic!

catinthehat2 Mon 20-Sep-10 15:55:54

What about 2 topics:

Quiches - drop by and join in any time why don't you?

Cliques - if your name's not on the list beggar orf?

I think that would cover it.

grin

Trillian
<whispers> is there one? Cos you see I have this problem, and it;s a bit embarrassing...

Aitch Mon 20-Sep-10 15:57:25

no, i don't want to banish myself from all party celebrations just so i don't see the shiney threads...

i was assuming quiche corner would be papped oot of active convos.

I do think if this was done it would make MN a very different place.

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 20-Sep-10 15:59:33

Message withdrawn

And it worries me that people might pop up on the "What shall I have for breakfast" threads saying "shouldn't this be in a quiche?"

pagwatch Mon 20-Sep-10 16:01:19

quiche for breakfast is wrong IMO

even bacon and tomato?

Aitch Mon 20-Sep-10 16:05:53

quiche is just wrong, let's be honest.

well that's killed the thread

nameymcnamechange Mon 20-Sep-10 16:18:50

I think its a grand idea Bumper.

True, I did think of that Stealth, and wouldn't want that. Hmm, do we need some guidelines as to what constitutes a quiche thread?

1. Puntastic thread title
2. A volume number in the thread title
Any more?

Please don't take this as Quiche bashing, I aspire to have my own one day grin

Sandringham Mon 20-Sep-10 16:33:48

I think CatintheHat2's suggestion of Quiches and Cliques is good. And Trillian's thing about custard creams is spot on. Cliques would presumably turn their noses up at anyone other than themselves expressing an opinion about custard creams, but quiches would embrace newcomers with open arms. And offers of tea.

rubyrubyruby Mon 20-Sep-10 16:34:55

We could just divide MN into 2 topics.

Those with friends and those without friends

Custard creams are just wrong and any CC support thread would most definitely belong in the Quiche Corner of my MN!

I started of in agreement with Bumper but MaMoTTaT has convinced me to change my mind.

[easily swayed]

AbsofCroissant Mon 20-Sep-10 16:48:56

I agree with rubyrubyruby

Sadly, I'm in the second lot

Mouseface Mon 20-Sep-10 16:49:02

MaMoTTaT Mon 20-Sep-10 15:29:42

'I bet you they didn't all join at the same time.....

Surely it's no different to moving to a new area and meeting new people - when you first join in a conversation they're going to be talking like they know each other........ermm because they do - in time you'll "know" them as well'

Spot on. I'm on the Brave Babes thread and the LIGHTer thread and if any newbies want to contribute/join in etc, they are welcomed with open arms!

Especially the LIGHTer one, there's not many of us! grin

<Hands on hips> Well, why don't you just start a Quiche with her SC grin

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 20-Sep-10 16:49:45

Message withdrawn

hunlet Mon 20-Sep-10 16:51:49

NO

nikkershaw Mon 20-Sep-10 16:52:09

whatever happened to the yurt thread grin

nikkershaw Mon 20-Sep-10 16:52:23

oh and the pelvic floor one

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 20-Sep-10 16:53:14

Message withdrawn

I dislike custard creams.

JiggeryPopery Mon 20-Sep-10 16:57:28

It can't be called 'Quiche Corner' because quiches don't have corners, they're circular. So it should be called 'Quiche Quarter'

And you could just have at the top of the thread and/or topic - like where disclaimery bit is in mental health, I think - 'regular threads - newcomers always welcome'.

Then you can hide the lot from active convos if you so wish and it doesn't keep newbies out.

IN FACT I think it could be a good thing, couldn't it, a good place for newbies to start. If you came to mn because you'd just had twins, or you had a look in quiche corner/quarter/section/wedge first and thought Ah yes, I am a healthy eating vampire lovin' slattern, you could instantly find somewhere where you would fit in, without having to make a clunky entrance with some mad thread, piss everyone off and then have to change your name like me some. blush

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 20-Sep-10 17:12:26

Oh god someone please explain the quiche reference for me. I am feeling a bit queasy now at the thought of all those slimmers and one-child families bogging down in congealed cheesey egg.

Aitch Mon 20-Sep-10 17:12:38

excellent post, jig. twi-sluts should just go altogether because it's a shit name. grin

QS Mon 20-Sep-10 17:15:45

I agree to hide.

hide hide and forget everything we disagree with, tidy up and compartmentalize. Thats the spirit.

Especially as I have never find a quiche to suite me. harrump.

AbsofCroissant Mon 20-Sep-10 17:18:37

Elephants - on some thread, way back in the Victorian era, someone referred to "cliques" as "quiches". The name stuck

Bella32 Mon 20-Sep-10 17:19:54

I wandered into Shiney's thread once and they called me 'fecking Bella' and stuck chewing gum in my hair.

Felt quite honoured really grin

Bella32 Mon 20-Sep-10 17:21:50

I would like to try that one where they all talk in florid, ancient prose though.

What's it called again?

bellavita Mon 20-Sep-10 17:24:00

Shirrup your moaning the lot of you. Just hide the bloody topics/threads grin

^wot she said

or the other way if you are reading upwards grin

Just hide the things if they bother you that much. They hardly appear on Active COnvos. And wanting them gone because you are too scared to join one is just.....well... sad grin

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 20-Sep-10 17:41:07

Message withdrawn

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 20-Sep-10 17:41:52

Message withdrawn

JaneS Mon 20-Sep-10 17:50:17

Sorry, I think it's a really bad idea.

Admittedly I find the shiney/twisluts/slatterns mildly irritating because they're not remotely interesting to me, but some of the others I'd never have come across if they'd not been in active convos or in the relevant section. I clicked on 'stately homes' out of curiosity in Relationships and never would have thought to go looking for it - because it didn't occur to me that my rather sad childhood could ever be described as abusive. To be honest, I think if you're motivated to go looking for these threads, you're probably one of the ones who needs them least.

NeverPushWhenItSaysPull Mon 20-Sep-10 18:19:45

The only problem I have with hiding threads is, I've stumbled across lots of great threads in active convos. I presume that's the point. They may have been cliquey quichey but I'll often stick in a post. If it's ignored I'll go on my merry way. If not, I may have found hours of support/fun/whatever.

Also, you all appear to hate the Twisluts, but we're all very supportive of each other, and it has kicked off some very creative things for some of the posters. We're very welcoming to new recruits and we even created a glossary to help people join in. There are posters who have been there since the first thread, and we pick up people every 3 or 4 threads. I'd hate to think there are Mumsnetters out there who might miss out on a Twilight-based obsession because the threads are automatically hidden. grin

ASmallBunchOfFlowers Mon 20-Sep-10 18:26:05

Whispers: If I drop by the twi-sluts thread, will someone explain why you are obsessed with such a load of enjoyable tosh? wink

NeverPushWhenItSaysPull Mon 20-Sep-10 18:29:54

We won't tell you, we'll show you. grin Beware, you may never go back.

<maniacal laugh, just to reinforce the prejudices of those who haven't sampled our delights>

ASmallBunchOfFlowers - yes pop over, we will totes explain, and all agree that it is indeed tosh!

Honeydragon Mon 20-Sep-10 18:30:11

What LittleRedDragon said for me.

Erm, what's going to happen to this thread? Its going to take ages for you guys to hash all this out and then you'll all be known as the quiche clique and no one else will want to come on with an opinion because you all know each other and are friends.

Then someone else will start a thread saying shouldn't cliques have a quiche section or something and then bumperlicious will pop up and say come along to here why don't you, we share your pain. So they'll come along and join and others may look and feel a bit like they shouldn't join and.... <<brain melts>>

'Tis the circle of life Honeydragon grin

One day MN is going to eat itself!

Flighttattendant Mon 20-Sep-10 18:37:08

I don't really mind but would REALLLY like a 'hide poster' option, please.

It would satisfy the little voice in me that just wants to scream 'shut the fuck UP' every time I see certain people.

smile

ginhag Mon 20-Sep-10 18:40:27

I found my way into a quiche in the 'conception' topic and it was a bit of a lifesaver for me... There are now a lot of us who have been there for aaaages but new people in the same position join regularly and are welcomed.

If we were moved out to the Quiche Ghetto then this wouldn't happen, unless we spent ages trawling the conception board to check if anyone was hanging around there looking a bit ancient and lonely.

And we are def one that pops up often in active convos and annoys people (however I get the impression loads of people hide the conception topic anyway...)

Surely the worst that happens is you click on a thread, you find it dull as shite, you leave...

JiggeryPopery Mon 20-Sep-10 18:41:37

I dont' think anyone is talking about hiding the threads altogether - just having the option of hiding them in one go, rather than one by one from active convos.

So the newbies would see them, and those of us who are miserable old farts can hide the lot of them.

Maybe I should start a miserable old fart quiche thread.....

i know what you mean flight - but then someone else would say 'I think AnnoyingMumsy has a point, and furthermore, I would do the same, only without the vaseline, and probably publicly too' and then you end up thinking wtf did AnnoyingMumsy say?

Flighttattendant Mon 20-Sep-10 18:44:22

No I would know EXACTLY what annoyingmumsy would have said wink

SandyisinCaldwell Mon 20-Sep-10 19:03:37

Flight: that is a fab idea!

nameymcnamechange Mon 20-Sep-10 19:45:26

I think I would love that too Flighty re. the hiding particular posters button.

But then I wonder if I wouldn't actually miss the feeling of steam coming out of my ears and tangible nausea at some of what my nemesis writes. In a ghoulish way I probably quite enjoy it a tiny bit grin.

Honeydragon Mon 20-Sep-10 19:48:54

Some shit stirrers people don't bother to hide though. Take for example the c*******s topic. I get that people rant when people post about c*******s in other topics and say "stop talking about c*******s at this time of the year you C***TS!".

BUT

They then come onto threads on the actual C*******s topic itself and hurl disdain and abuse about. FFS the topic is there all year round, the heading itself indicates there is a topic about c*******s, you don't have to go in there.

They can hide it but they choose to be mean, and I wonder whether the same kind of thing would happen with a quiche ghetto? People deliberately storm in with the intention of chucking all their toys out their pram, having a big flounce and then claiming to be hurt when people ask them to play nice or else where?

evilgiraffe Mon 20-Sep-10 19:51:36

If MNHQ wants to create a quiche section, then fine. I think it would be a bit of a shame, though, as both of the threads I most often post on (the first-time frolickers in Conception, and the Twi-sluts) could come under that heading, and both threads are very welcoming of newcomers.

I don't use Active Convos at all though, so I have no idea how it could be irritating or not. I suspect a quiche section will never appear though, so perhaps learning to live with it is the easiest option.

Anyone who secretly harbours a strange and disturbing fascination with Twilight is welcome on the Twi-Sluts threads, by the way. Come on in, we'll provide you with literary smut grin

Anyone who is trying to conceive their first child is welcome on the First Time Frolickers threads, too. They are a wealth of TTC info and support

nameymcnamechange Mon 20-Sep-10 19:53:51

See, I don't want to hide the Christmas topic. I want to discuss Christmas, presents, food, nativity plays, M&S ready-prepped veg. The Lot. I just don't want to do it in August. Or September. Or even October really.

I'll hide it if someone reminds me to un-hide it in the third week of November grin.

Honeydragon Mon 20-Sep-10 19:57:33

nameymcnamechange - It was an example of a topic that annoys people and you said the c word! grin

EvilGiraffe you are currently my favourite mumsnet name.

wukter Mon 20-Sep-10 20:05:24

If I had a Hide Poster button, the whole of Mumsnet would consist of posts saying 'I think wukter makes a very good point'

evilgiraffe Mon 20-Sep-10 20:08:29

Honeydragon - thank you! I am now beaming with pride! grin

Aitch Mon 20-Sep-10 20:19:27

why are you sluts, twi-sluts?

JiggeryPopery Mon 20-Sep-10 20:19:31

I think wukter makes a very good point

<safe>

daftpunk Mon 20-Sep-10 20:20:12

Good idea. Then I can hide the lot of them in one go.

I'd love a delete poster option, I think it's hard having to put up with certain people when you really don't want to. You can delete and hide people on facebook, although not sure how it would work on here?

Honeydragon Mon 20-Sep-10 20:25:00

Aaaaah but if you deleted me DP I could namechange come back and continue to offend you grin

I think Wukter and JiggeryPopery make a very good point.

<<sycophant>>

daftpunk Mon 20-Sep-10 20:31:43

Ha ha;

No, by deleting you I'd be deleting you and all your namechanges; ....so your ip address.

It must be possible.

( I don't know you btw, just using you as an example)

Honeydragon Mon 20-Sep-10 20:41:04

Its ok I have no intention of stalking you either grin

traceybath Mon 20-Sep-10 20:41:21

I'm a quiche-tart if you know what I mean wink

Doesn't really bother me where they go but echo others that would love the 'hide poster' facility.

evilgiraffe Mon 20-Sep-10 20:47:39

Aitch - we're Twi-Sluts to distinguish us from Twi-Moms. We don't want to mother anybody, if you catch my drift. <waggles eyebrows>

(We don't actually really want to cop off with the Twilight actors. It's all made up nonsense, silliness and pipedreams.)

daftpunk Mon 20-Sep-10 20:50:51

That's a shame HD, you sound kinda nice...grin

Honeydragon Mon 20-Sep-10 20:55:54

aaaaaaaawh shucks blush

wukter Mon 20-Sep-10 21:07:53

What are Twi Moms? I haven't seen any of them about.

catinthehat2 Mon 20-Sep-10 21:11:10

I think Catinthehat made an excellent point earlier, and astonishingly, one person agreed with it. which must be a first for the old bat:

"catinthehat2 Mon 20-Sep-10 15:55:54
What about 2 topics:

Quiches - drop by and join in any time why don't you?

Cliques - if your name's not on the list beggar orf?

I think that would cover it."

grin

wukter Mon 20-Sep-10 21:13:18

Your own personal MN too, catinthehat? grin

nameymcnamechange Mon 20-Sep-10 21:13:29

Has the Shineoncd thread now morphed into two? What happened?

catinthehat2 Mon 20-Sep-10 21:13:44

Also, I think I should be admired for being too idle to fire up one of my multifarious one and eightlegged (and indeed 4 wheeled, though we don't talk about that one since MN towers got involved blush) alter egos to offer myself support.

catinthehat2 Mon 20-Sep-10 21:15:45

Yes, I have toyed with the idea of blocking posters too, but in the absence of specialised technology I would have to do this by blinking as fast as I can while scrolling. It's not sustainable IMO.

VinegarTits Mon 20-Sep-10 21:21:39

shineon thread morphed into two? shock hot gossip that is, do tell?

nameymcnamechange Mon 20-Sep-10 21:26:45

There's the shine shine shine etc threads.

And the LIGHT ones.

I thought they were both the same thing at one stage?

I could be very behind the times ...

bellavita Mon 20-Sep-10 22:04:20

The Shiney threads are as they were.. unchanged.

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 21-Sep-10 07:43:06

Message withdrawn

bellavita Tue 21-Sep-10 07:58:21

Err Shiney, you just nicked my sentence there and changed the words around shock grin

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 21-Sep-10 08:30:55

Message withdrawn

Stop arguing, I'm in bloody labour!

QS Tue 21-Sep-10 09:11:20

Oh, here is an idea.

MNHQ divide us in to cliques randomly, and we are only allowed to post in our clique.

hmm

MaMoTTaT Tue 21-Sep-10 09:11:26

oooooo exciting stuff grin

pagwatch Tue 21-Sep-10 09:14:50

An 'I am currently giving birth quiche' will be small and the membership too eratic IMO

[excited nonetheless]

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 21-Sep-10 09:18:23

Message withdrawn

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 21-Sep-10 09:25:34

I don't see the point of having somewhere special to put the cliques so they can be hidden away.

I don't think they clog up active convos - and if they do does it matter? Just skin over them and open a thread that looks interesting. There is all sorts of shite cluttering active convos anyway. Where do you draw the line.

(Though I do agree that there should be a special black hole of hell for the 'guess what I have just done' threads of pointlessness).

pagwatch Tue 21-Sep-10 09:29:16

I think birth clique has pretty tough membership requirements

If your cervix ain't dilated you're not coming in

Honeydragon Tue 21-Sep-10 09:52:03

pag

rofl at

"If your cervix ain't dilated you're not coming in"

grin

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 21-Sep-10 09:58:16

Message withdrawn

What Getorf said.

No, the Shiney ladies (and gents) were never part of the lighter lot.

All of the lighter ladies used to be posters on the Shiney thread but were asked to leave as it was felt by some of the shineys that the thread was getting to big.

And the shineys actually do occasionally talk about healthy eating where as the lighter lot chat more bollocks, less cock. wink

NO to clique topic

Nobody puts Shiney in a corner (cept me wink)

Aitch Tue 21-Sep-10 10:31:59

hahahahahaha so there has been a shiney schism? shouldn't they call themselves sholdies?

nameymcnamechange Tue 21-Sep-10 10:36:10

I see.

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 21-Sep-10 10:37:23

Message withdrawn

AbsofCroissant Tue 21-Sep-10 10:37:36

Ooooooh ... so then does the Shiney lot fall into the second category (clique - if your name's not on the list etc. etc.) for catinthehat2's topics?

So, to summarise (from what the reps are saying):
Quiches
Twisluts

Cliques
Shiney
In labour

Aitch Tue 21-Sep-10 10:38:23

grin bien sur, mon capitaine... wink

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 21-Sep-10 10:39:22

Message withdrawn

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 21-Sep-10 10:39:59

Message withdrawn

Aitch Tue 21-Sep-10 10:40:12

oh god the twisluts make me cringe. thanks for the explanation evilgiraffe and i'm sure it's a lot of fun on there but really, in this day and age for a bunch of grown-up women to be calling themselves sluts... yerk.

No, No fight. There are still posters who post in both threads. And we would have kicked their asses if there had been a fight. wink

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 21-Sep-10 10:43:34

Message withdrawn

Message withdrawn

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 21-Sep-10 10:47:13

Message withdrawn

MaMoTTaT Tue 21-Sep-10 10:50:41

Bitter!!!!!

When comest thou over for coffee????????

Aitch Tue 21-Sep-10 10:50:49

i was, and as you will see further down i was advocating their being sent to a clique topic as well. not against cliques, they're not really my style, personally, but i'm not against them. i do think they could be tidier. grin

Soon MaMoTTaT.

Message withdrawn

MaMoTTaT Tue 21-Sep-10 10:56:19

haha SAF - I was thinking the same thing grin

Message withdrawn

MaMoTTaT Tue 21-Sep-10 11:02:36

ehhh ?? BBC types - what did I miss???????

dinkystinky Tue 21-Sep-10 11:18:20

Think the quiche quarter idea would probably dissuade people from joining threads rather than joining in - so work against MN rather than for it. FWIW I'm part of 2 quiches - Nothing Tastes (which I joined half way and which most of the original posters appears to have desserted and with declining membership has dwindled into more of a tart of late) and a postnatal group, both of which welcome new members with open arms. Quiches evolve over time - and so what if there are a few posters on there who have "known" (in so far as any one can really know someone via the occasional words on a screen) other posters longer than others - doesnt make it an unfriendly place.

Though agree that idea of being able to put a poster filter on your computer would be good...

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 21-Sep-10 11:19:05

Eh? So the shiney thread is no more then, in its original guise? <wistful>

VinegarTits Tue 21-Sep-10 11:20:58

if there was a hide poster button my would have stream coming off it grin

2shoes Tue 21-Sep-10 11:22:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 21-Sep-10 11:22:44

Message withdrawn

<tidies up the Wanker quiche to lure Aitch back again>

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 21-Sep-10 11:24:24

grin at the welcome but angry at old gimmer title

I am young whippersnapper (not really)

grin

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 21-Sep-10 11:24:59

Message withdrawn

2shoes Tue 21-Sep-10 11:25:35

WTF

bellavita Tue 21-Sep-10 11:26:36

Me too Vinny, me too! grin

I ditto that Vin grin

BitOfFun Tue 21-Sep-10 11:38:33

<wades in for a big ruck in the manner of a quiche member on hearing the bat phone>

Will this help at all?

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 21-Sep-10 11:39:47

Message withdrawn

BrianAndHisBalls Tue 21-Sep-10 11:42:57

bof, am disappointed, thought it would be the bat
grin

grin

BrianAndHisBalls Tue 21-Sep-10 12:05:46

norma - get off here and get back to buying brooches grin

No, not a joke, not inaccurate, although I am of course biased.

Maybe the healthy eating thing is inaccurate. wink

2shoes Tue 21-Sep-10 12:08:39

i have just reported my own post.

rubyrubyruby Tue 21-Sep-10 12:12:30

........ has Bumperlicious had her baby yet?

<<desperate attempt to change the subject>>

2shoes Tue 21-Sep-10 12:14:08

oh yes, she was in labour......
hope so

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 21-Sep-10 12:16:14

Message withdrawn

grin Brian, when I get some more pennies I intend too!

2shoes Tue 21-Sep-10 12:16:50

I did, you cut me

Shiney, never happy unless it's handbags at dawn grin

VinegarTits Tue 21-Sep-10 12:20:34

Norma i read that as 'when i get some penises'

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Tue 21-Sep-10 12:20:59

I have to hide this thread as the idea of a Quiche Corner is making me feel quite queasy.

BrianAndHisBalls Tue 21-Sep-10 12:22:50

yeah sorry norma we don't normally accept penises, will make an exception though just for you!

if its handbags at dawn can you ensure they're handbags with brooches on (most unsubtle advertising ever grin

rubyrubyruby Tue 21-Sep-10 12:23:07

Quiches don't even have corners do they? confused

......... mine are always round.

nameymcnamechange Tue 21-Sep-10 12:25:19

The only decent thing to do with a courgette, I find, is put it in a quiche with lots of eggs, cream and cheese, imvho.
What else is a courgette good for?

2shoes Tue 21-Sep-10 12:25:58

they do
I had an oblong one the other day

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 21-Sep-10 12:27:05

Message withdrawn

That too Vinny, that too.

Oh yes a handbag with a good brooch on (which is where one of mine is in fact!)

rubyrubyruby Tue 21-Sep-10 12:27:41

It could become a MN code.

....... when you're at a party you could say 'ooooo - I think I'll have a corner of quiche' wink and see if anyone looks up.

AbsofCroissant Tue 21-Sep-10 12:29:14

I have had corner of quiche from a bakery - I think they make giant square ones. Twas delicious ... could do with some now

Bit like when I go to the Supermarket & hold up the Penguin bars grinning like a fool to see if any one grins & nods back knowingly grin

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Tue 21-Sep-10 12:44:22

Fruit Corners are bad enough. And Crunch Corners. Sugary yoghurt and savoury pastry items? Well that is just wrong

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 21-Sep-10 13:21:23

Message withdrawn

The latter unfortunately. I keep doing it though in sheer hope that one day, just once, someone will knowingly nod at me with a small secret smile & we'll both walk our seperate ways knowing we have shared a special moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now