Grin emoticon

(16 Posts)
tribpot Sat 04-Sep-10 21:17:26

Dear MNHQ,

Could we go back to the old way of doing grin and only have it explicitly with the old tag? A couple of times in the last few weeks I've seen people attempt to do a sad face as : o ( and accidentally been presented with a grin, often in horrifically inappropriate circumstances.

Don't know if others feel the same? I have checked before posting with the most recent OP.

What's changed?

ForzaDelDestino Sat 04-Sep-10 21:21:48

omfg I had no idea that had been changed

ooooh

ForzaDelDestino Sat 04-Sep-10 21:22:15

tribpot Sat 04-Sep-10 21:28:46

I could be insane (quite likely) but I thought in ye oldern days you could only do grin by typing [ grin ] - no room for error.

Many people do type : o ( for a sad face, having it come up as a grin is a bit confused I would normally expect : o to default to shock

SecretNutellaFix Sat 04-Sep-10 21:31:53

I would have thought : D would be more appropriate for grin

tribpot Sat 04-Sep-10 21:37:38

Yes, agreed, that's how it works on Communicator at work for example.

Although of course as one would only ever use that for business chat one would have no need to do grin wink

RubberDuck Sat 04-Sep-10 21:48:26

It doesn't help that on MSN : o makes a shocked face. So quite often I use the shortcut : o because I spend far too much time on MSN because that's what I'm used to.

tribpot Sat 04-Sep-10 22:01:23

I think Wikipedia agrees with us, although I do still recall the day in the office when our big boss phoned someone and said "why have you sent me an email with a colon, hyphen and bracket next to each other?" [pause for explanation, boss tilts his head over to one side] "Oh, I see".

Hasn't been like that for ages and ages though? I'm sure I've always typed : o and never done the bracketed grin thing.

PortraitOfAnApology Sun 05-Sep-10 12:32:32

I have always done the [ grin ] thing but ordinarily in "internet life" : o would be shock and : D would be wide mouth grin wold it not?

And why is it only those that are short hand?

Headbanger Sun 05-Sep-10 12:37:59

Headbanger Sun 05-Sep-10 12:38:13

oooo! :D

Headbanger Sun 05-Sep-10 12:38:34

oh...

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 05-Sep-10 17:31:11

Will take a look at this and see what Tech can come up with.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 05-Sep-10 17:33:08

Will take a look at this and see what Tech can come up with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now