Altinkum, Turkey, anyone??

(11 Posts)
Hamkin Wed 07-Jul-10 23:11:12

Hi. Has anyone been to Altinkum in Turkey?

I haven't been abroard for years and this is the first time we are thinking of taking the kids abroard.

I could do with some genral info about the place.

Thanks

Hamkin Wed 07-Jul-10 23:20:45

general. sorry about the spelling

Balletlover Wed 14-Jul-10 22:43:14

Hi Hamkin,
I think The Altinkum area is a great place to take children abroad for the first time. I first went to Altinkum with a friend 15 yrs ago, as she'd pinpointed it as the perfect spot to do classical sightseeing, and so it proved. Within an hour you have the spectacular hilltop Priene, a fabulously intact amphitheatre at Miletus, Herkalia at Lake Bafa - beautiful setting and great fish restaurants and at 1hr 45 minutes Epheses and St Johns Basilica at Selcuk (there is also an open air steam museum for young boys and a nearby beach for all). You can also take day trips to Bodrum by bus, coach or boat and daytrips to Kos and Samos by ferry.
On your doorstep is the Temple of Apollo at Didyma and a section of the Sacred Way (as walked by Alexander the Great) All of the above are great places for children to clamber and explore ancient ruins and the wildlife that lives on these sites (tortoises, insects galore etc.) There are also all day boat trips (good value) to local beaches, snorkling tuition, scuba diving, horse-riding, a local aquapark at Mavisehir and a very large one at Kusadasi, 1 hr 20 mins away.
All the beaches in the area are sandy and safe. They shelve very gently. They are very sheltered in Altinkum (choice of 3), which is why the main grew up there. It is an unpretentious beach resort, with Turks and British visiting in moreorless equal numbers. Increasing amounts of other nationalities too. Much international cuisine on the front. Some overpriced, but equally you can eat well at fast food restaurants with the same view. Behind the front are several kilometers of holiday houses before you hit Yenihisar where the locals live - an absolutely normal town, complete with cheap lokantas and a nice public park with play area and fountains (there are lots of playparks dotted around the area, with many restaurants having a playpark in their grounds). At Easter and Oct half term we use Altinkum's beaches (v. quiet then) otherwise we use local beaches at Mavihisar, which always have room. This is a more turkish area with a harbour with cheap cafes to watch the sunset from. It is about 20 mins from Altinkum, past the Temple but connected via very frequent cheap dolmus. Akbuk, in the other direction is also lovely - a low key, sleepy, spread out resort, with larger harbour area and more choce of cheap places to eat. Also connected to Altinkum by dolmus, but every 20 mins rather than every 5.

As accommodation in the area is very spread out. Hotels by the front suffer from noise at night (the turks come alive then!) It is worth considering complexes of apartments, whether privately owned or not. They tend to be a much higher standard than the hotels and many complexes offer courtesy bus services to the beach and town .Lots of restaurants, including the cheap lokanta in Yenihisar, offer a free door-to-door car service. The restaurant at the so-called 'third beach' near Didim Marina (with its Armani outlet store) offers a free car service if you take lunch there (good deal). If you go on an excursion, that will be door-to-door too. Car hire can be very reasonable (I paid £16 per day) but petrol is slightly more expensive than in the UK. Driving locally is pretty easy - local roads tend to be quiet.
Yenihisar has proper shops and large supermarkets, and open air markets abound. If your children do not take to Turkish food, or want some home comforts you can get many things from the UK from fruit shoots to weetabix minis. Likewise cuisine ranges from traditional turkish to sunday dinners!

Hope that gives a flavour of the place. We certainly enjoy going there with our two boys (now 8 & 3. Any other questions, do ask!

Hamkin Thu 22-Jul-10 23:56:03

WOW! Thanks balletlover. Think that just about covers everything smile

It all sounds wonderful!!

robynamy1 Sat 15-Jun-13 15:18:47

can you help me ? i'm going to Altinkum for the first time this year to hotel tuntas for a week all inclusive on 5th july and im wondering how much spending money you would advise me to take. we will probably go out for a few hours each night after making use of the free drinks at the hotel smile and id like to go on a boat trip and to the aqua park and maybe sat a banana boat? x

BegoniaBampot Tue 18-Jun-13 22:47:14

been to Altinkum and though we had a good time as we met great people, there are much nicer, classier, more attractive, less hassle places to go. Depends what you are looking for though. Would never go back when there are much better places to go.

dreamingofsun Wed 19-Jun-13 08:57:16

begonia - can you tell us where please

BegoniaBampot Wed 19-Jun-13 10:10:34

Really depends what you are looking for. If you want to party, get drunk have tacky shops, have Turkish touts hassle you into their restaurants (all good fun enough when you are young) or go somewhere quieter, more scenic, no hassle, do day trips, etc. or go to one of these big AI hotels on a stretch of beach.

I did have fun in Altinkum but would never go back. Just google quieter resorts or look at trip advisor. Prefer not to say where I go but the beaches are out of town and pebbly, 2 1/2 to 3 hour transfer time, hotels are generally small family run affairs with a tiny pool if that, not many British.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 27-Jun-13 11:44:24

Well I am quite happy to say where the nice places are wink

We usually go to the Bodrum Peninsula and there are some lovely little resorts there. Bitez, Yalikavalk, Gundogan, Ortakent, Gumusluk or Torba are all very nice. Thaye are all less than 1 hour from the airport and it is very easy to travel around the Peninsula.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 27-Jun-13 11:50:23

ronynamy1, I hope you haven't been put off by what was said above. Altinkum is a nice enough resort and people like different hings on holiday so I'm sure you will have a lovely time.

I have never been AI before so I can't help too much with how much money to take. I would say allow as much as you would for the same things at home and you should have some left over. Boat trips ae usually about £12 each for the day including lunch and children normally go free.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 27-Jun-13 11:51:08

I'm guessing Begonia went to somewhere like Kas or Kalkan smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now