Thinking about going to the Canaries. What's it like?

(41 Posts)
LowLevelWhingeing Fri 08-Jan-10 13:39:26

Looking for somewhere to go around Easter time, ideally a villa near a beach/restaurants etc, but what's it like there? Hoping to just spend days on the beach with the DCs (2 and 4).

Are the islands very similar or are they much of a muchness?
Anywhere that should be avoided? We don't want a party town, but some nice restaurants would be a bonus - are we likely to find any?

gladders Mon 11-Jan-10 16:20:08

lanzarote over tenerife as it has white sand (not black) - and the yaiza in playa blanca is amazing!

SixtyFootDoll Mon 11-Jan-10 21:58:47

Oh yes we popped into the YAiza it is gorgeous.
And the marina is lovley

LowLevelWhingeing Tue 12-Jan-10 11:15:29

Thanks y'all, I starting to get an idea of what to go for now. smile

LadyThompson Tue 12-Jan-10 11:22:57

Mmmm. I think you can probably really only go to the Northern part of Tenerife. I have been to Gran Canaria (beyond the pale - AVOID, unless you like Skegness), Lanzarote (interestingly volcanic but again devoid of culture, packed with vulgarians in shell suits being rude to waiters) and Tenerife (avoid the South - Playa de las Americas etc). No idea about the others.

I have heard Madeira is very nice (is that classed as Canaries?) though it's full of oldies.

LowLevelWhingeing Tue 12-Jan-10 11:52:21

Hehehe, thanks LadyT, That's what I wanted all along - someone to dish the dirt!

GeorginaWorsley Tue 12-Jan-10 19:59:31

We likes Playa Blanca very much for a week ,especially in february as just warm enough for us.
Lots of lovely beaches,good family friendly restaurants,shops etc.
We hired a villa with private pool.
We had one day sightseeing which was fine as we do our 'sightseeing' hols in summer and tbh just wanted a break.
DD3 was 3 and was perfect for her,plus the older ones enjoyed it too.
Probably going back this year,just looking now.

LowLevelWhingeing Wed 13-Jan-10 13:23:16

Thanks Georgina. Would you recommend the villa company you used?

Also, are the restaurants mainly English? We could cope with that but would love something different from what we can get at home.

GeorginaWorsley Wed 13-Jan-10 18:16:17

We used James Villas,were fine.
Lots of different styles of restauranrs along the seafront,all openin onto a promenade type thing.
We had different every night,I talian,Indian,Spanish,fish restaurants.Lots of choice.

LowLevelWhingeing Wed 13-Jan-10 18:38:57

Great! I happen to have a James Villas brochure in front of me and good news about the

cheers Georgina.

coolma Fri 15-Jan-10 20:53:25

We went on a 'promotional' (hard sell timeshare) holiday to tenerife one december. Apart from the horror of being subjected to a days worth of hardcore sales (which we went along with but didn't even contemplate getting into) it was actually really nice. As we had 'won' the holiday and they were trying to tempt us into spending money, we were put in an absolutley amazing place which was almost empty. It was in Los Christianos, which itself is not particularly nice, but the time of year was good and as long as you avoided playa de las americas it was fine - I made the mistake of going there one day and it was foul! We also had a holiday in fuerteventura just before it really 'took off'. Again, avoid really touristy areas and you'll be fine.. The absolute main attraction of course is the weather. Lovely in May and December!

GeorginaWorsley Mon 18-Jan-10 13:16:52

Just to say Lowlevel we have just re booked for Feb half term,going to Playa Blanca again,this time with' Lanzarote Lates 'villas.
Hope you get sorted!

Tarabear Wed 20-Jan-10 17:10:54

Just been reading all the posts about Lanzarote. Do you reckon it would be too hot in the summer? Places like Turkey and Greece are too hot for my husband in August. I've a feeling the Canaries are a bit cooler.
Is Lanzarote really expensive? We've found a great apartment there on the Arrieta beach.
Would love to know anyone's insights.
I'll be going with hubby and my two boys - aged 2 & 4 so aslong as there's beach and a pool they'll be happy!

GeorginaWorsley Thu 21-Jan-10 19:12:10

Hi,we like Lanzarote in february as it is just the right temp.
I think it would be very hot in summer.
Lanzarote quite expensive if self catering.
We ate out every night,bill around 70 euros for 2 adults,1 teenager,2 children.
I like the island as a winter sun,relaxing break.

LowLevelWhingeing Thu 28-Jan-10 20:39:56

Thanks ladies (sorry for delayed response). I'm waiting to find out what dates we can go so holding off on looking too hard at the moment as it's too frustrating not being able to plan properly!

Really appreciate all your comments. Have a good holiday Georgina!

Lisa2 Mon 01-Feb-10 18:21:08

Hi there. I live and work in Tenerife looking after children - There is so much in Tenerife for all ages. You have 2 water parks the fantastic Loro parque which have parrot, sealion, killer whale and dolphin shows to name but a few. There are also childrens play areas here, Mickey park is one which is great and another one that is right on the beach that has built in trampolines, ball pools etc. Also, in certain areas there are inflatables in the sea for childrens use but i think it is priced at 10 euros per day but that is for unlimited use. There are family buggies that you can hire out, mini golf and a number of other things to keep you all entertained. Oh, there is the monkey park too which is so lovely as you can actually feed the little monkeys and they hold your hand etc, very cute. You can find hotels/apartments here for any budget. I can persionally get an apartment for 150 euros for up to 4 people and that price is just for the apartment, not per person. If you want some ideas on hotels, please let me know and i will assist you the best i can. Also, if you would like some childcare during your stay again, give me a shout .... thats if you do decide on Tenerife. Anyway, happy holiday hunting and have a great trip wherever you decide.

TheEarlOfDoncaster1963 Sun 30-Dec-12 21:09:21

Lisa - I know this is an OLD thread - but am looking for reasonably priced apartment in the Canaries for me, DH & 3 children (hotels too expensive for five). Any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now