Anyone been to Manoir de Longeveau, in the Charente?

(23 Posts)
pinkhousesarebest Fri 22-Feb-13 20:55:40

We were there last year, with several other families. It was ok, though the houses were a bit basic. I think several of us had problems with washing machines. We live here so the Britishness of it all, and the fact that the region seems to be heavily colonised didn't bother us, but our friends weren't that fussed.

Portofino Thu 31-Jan-13 09:35:29

That's very interesting!

OllyPea Wed 30-Jan-13 21:22:58

Hello, just a little update on this thread to say that the main pool at Longeveau is now heated and the facilities including creche, treatment rooms and babysitting have been extended, so that there is something for everyone!

Nettee Mon 15-Aug-11 12:47:54

Just back from longeveau and reporting in. We had a good week, nice weather, tennis, golf, table tennis, good food lots of local activities and well organised river beaches. sociable atmosphere - not over crowded despite the school holidays. My only complaint would be that the pool was a bit too cold to really enjoy. And yes, everyone we talked to seemed to have been coming for years and were busy rebooking for 2013 already.

cozzie Sat 06-Aug-11 17:06:06

We went to Chateau de Gurat in Charente this summer which was full of Brits!

Portofino Fri 29-Jul-11 18:47:19

We actually went to the Charente this year though - a week at Le Moulin de Chazotte near to Cognac. It was lovely - apart from the weather and the fact that dd broke her wrist before we'd unpacked. No other English speaking people though.

Portofino Fri 29-Jul-11 18:43:57

Ooh I see I started this thread 2 years ago. We didn't go there, but I am already thinking of next year......

Nettee Fri 29-Jul-11 11:53:34

oooooh, thanks for this - we are going next Saturday - Looking forward to it. Will update on the August experience when we return!

Indaba Tue 26-Jul-11 14:36:47

But yes, I'd guess 80% of guests are English. But how do I put this? The beer swilling Union Jack crowd don't generally head to deepest rural France on their hols if you see what I mean. (oh gosh I am at risk at being flammed)

Indaba Tue 26-Jul-11 14:34:10

Just to update...in case anyone does a search on this here. We stayed there in June. Really loved it. Relaxed, owners really nice. Kids had tennis lessons and we all played golf and tennis: (its a basic nine hole.....don't go expecting St Andrews!) Accommodation is rustic but very clean. Restaurant/cafe nice and good quality. A relaxed bar. The area is beautiful and there is loads & loads to do. We had a really chilled time.

However, we were outside of English school holidays so am not sure how hectic it gets in August. It gets v v booked up way in advance with lots of people returning year after year so book ahead if you want to go.

Was it all English people Renaldo?

I can't find a website for them in French.

renaldo Wed 25-Mar-09 07:47:36

I have been with 4 year old twins and a 6 year old a few years ago and it is FAB - accomodation is a bit basic - go dor the shared pool so the kids can make friends

Thanks.

Yes we will probably just be going back to England to visit everyone but I live in hope of a week with no cooking and some nice weather!

Portofino Sat 21-Mar-09 08:47:04

There's a few similar on the TotstoFrance website. I liked the look of the Gites Les Noyer, where they have a bar and playroom attached, but unfortunately booked up for our dates.

lilypond1 Sat 21-Mar-09 07:46:46

hi, we have friends who live near aubeterre and have spent a bit of time visiting! there is quite alot to do around there! in aubeterre there is a lovely creperie and bars and restaurants, and of course an amazing church too! there is a beach and swimming on the river at st aulaye(think its spelt like that!!) also the markets in chalais and riberac, they sell the usual tat but good for a day out! also its only 2 hours to royan and la rochelle, fab if the weathers good!!
also havent i think it will be run by french people as you have to contact england if you are booking in english!
god, i,love summer holidays, we go to england for ours to visit family, bit crap really!!!

Oooh I'm looking for something like this for this summer.

We are not golfers though! (am wondering if it's a bit posh for us).

Have you seen anything else similar Portofino?

Is there nothing like this but run by French people?

Portofino Wed 18-Mar-09 15:11:27

It is very near to Aubeterre I believe Web site link

lilypond1 Wed 18-Mar-09 12:56:05

we love the charente, very similar to the dorgogne and a fraction of the price!! give me the address and i will try to check it out! the charente is quite big!!!

Portofino Tue 17-Mar-09 20:55:37

Is it nice there? We were looking at the Dordogne, but this appeared cheaper much prettier and less crowded.

lilypond1 Tue 17-Mar-09 20:43:11

no but i live in the charente, i can try to find out any details that will help you if you want?

Portofino Tue 17-Mar-09 20:40:06

I'll try one last time....

Portofino Tue 17-Mar-09 17:29:06

Portofino Tue 17-Mar-09 14:25:51

Considering it for this summer. Accommodation looks nice, and I understand there is a kids club....not so bothered about organised activities but keen that dd (5) has someone to play with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now